• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck

GruffyBear

MBTI Type
INTP
1. Hopeless indecisiveness, or well maybe I should say being overwhelmed with so many interesting possibilities that it is agonizing to be limited to just one, or maybe I should be direct and say I have a hard time reaching a final conclusion.......

2. The inability to translate self-diagnosed ability and interests into a usable/salable skills into a career

3. Tying into above, "thought crushes" that can be obsessive but turn on a dime. I will dig and dig and research away on something, then one day it bores me and I do the same to another subject. Kind of makes finishing a degree, etc. a challenge. (I did finish a BA...on the decade plus plan)

+1. The difficulty tuning out the "instant replay" and mental "color commentary" for every mistake ever made.

Zhash

That would describe me very well. I get into trouble when I ignore or undermine a boss (or military superior) because I believe their way of thinking is flawed ... or simply that they are morons.

INTPs/INTJs must work for a competent manager with equal or superior intelligence to them. Otherwise, there's no respect. I think that's why there are so many "NTs" in management positions. Talk about arrogance, huh? I hate that about myself.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Hopeless indecisiveness, or well maybe I should say being overwhelmed with so many interesting possibilities that it is agonizing to be limited to just one, or maybe I should be direct and say I have a hard time reaching a final conclusion.......

2. The inability to translate self-diagnosed ability and interests into a usable/salable skills into a career

3. Tying into above, "thought crushes" that can be obsessive but turn on a dime. I will dig and dig and research away on something, then one day it bores me and I do the same to another subject. Kind of makes finishing a degree, etc. a challenge. (I did finish a BA...on the decade plus plan)

+1. The difficulty tuning out the "instant replay" and mental "color commentary" for every mistake ever made.

Agreed, agreed, agreed... and agreed!

ygolo

My termites win
Why do INTPs allow themselves to pigeonholed with such a horrible trait?

Definitely over-thinking and under-doing. My lack of follow through is one of my greatest liabilities.

I've come out INTP on some MBTI-like tests, but I definitely do not lack follow-through.

In fact, this trait is the number one reason I haven't self-identified as an INTP. I like being pracitical, and making things happen in the real world. But, I love theory more so than almost every one I've met.

It has been often said, "There is nothing more practical than a good theory."

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I've come out INTP on some MBTI-like tests, but I definitely do not lack follow-through.

In fact, this trait is the number one reason I haven't self-identified as an INTP. I like being pracitical, and making things happen in the real world. But, I love theory more so than almost every one I've met.

It has been often said, "There is nothing more practical than a good theory."

that bugs me about the ENTP stereotype too. if we didn't follow through on things, we'd be dead.

it's that we don't follow through on the thousands of ideas that we get, not that we don't follow through on ANY. once we decide to do something, nothing stands in our way.

the descriptions for both types get misinterpreted, and i agree, it is frustrating.

but, eh, fuck 'em. let them think what they want. that way they won't be expecting it when it happens, so less resistance will get in our way.

dun dun DUNNNN.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is only the things I'm unsure about or don't care much about that I don't follow-through on.

If it's something I'm passionate about or something that I know has to be done and actually completed (i.e., no more room for flex), then I pour myself into it and get it done.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It is only the things I'm unsure about or don't care much about that I don't follow-through on.

If it's something I'm passionate about or something that I know has to be done and actually completed (i.e., no more room for flex), then I pour myself into it and get it done.

exactly. people greatly underestimate our ability to obsess.

NocturnalSun

MBTI Type
INTP
1. Control. While one of the greatest strengths, it is a great weakness to require control.
2. Arrogance. While having a high standard, anyone else who falls short is incompetent or a moron.
3. The ability to produce the purest sense of apathy for people's feelings or thoughts. (If they didn't exist, they wouldn't get in the way. Heck, if I really can't understand it then it must not be logical or worth figuring!)

Ferrus

MBTI Type
INTP
Eh, hard not to conflate my problems with that of the NTs.

But:

a) Outcast
b) Endless mass of stupidity you have to tolerate
c) SJ work

wyrdsister

MBTI Type
Ape
1. They pretend not to have emotions, and their poster boy is Spock or Data.
2. They act arrogant and cool because they think it's *hip* not to show any weakness or cracks in their *armour*.
3. They are cute when they grow up (oops!) not a sucky point.

:D

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Give your top three reasons for why it does, or would, suck to be an INT.

My three reasons:

1/ There aren't enough of us. Hence, the feeling of "not fitting in" or "being an outcast" carries a heavy burden through our entire lives.

2/ Over-thinking and under-doing is a major source of conflict.

3/ Our genius is severely underrated by the society at large.

(I'm glad I limited myself. I could probably come up with a thousand reasons if I thought about it long enough. I guess this is an example of reason #2.)

Sorry, but I think I'm blessed to be an INT (distinctively expressed) I'd rather be aware of the irrelevants that exist than be one of them. Once you understand yourself then you don't try to follow their pointless non relevant underachievements in life. Gheeze.. sounds like I'm being harsh, but whats wrong with being a couple of rungs up the evolutionary ladder?

I think its a new e-dawn for the INTs.... with the internet. :D

Actually and more seriously, INT's are very underrated in society, the schooling and academic system do not assess children as to whether they have these attributes (which have far more long term intellectual growth potential) than rewarding children and students that have good memories and good writing skills (No reward for intuitive or thinking.. which are incredibly important skills for pushing the boundries in any science or profession).

dorkilicious

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not sure if these are NT or if they're just me, but I'll take a stab.

1. If we don't know something, it drives us insane until we find out.
2. We're allergic to work that doesn't challenge our brain.
3. We talk and talk about things we find fascinating and don't realize how mind-numbingly boring it is to everyone else.
4 (bonus). We forget that some people haven't thought things through as thoroughly as we have and don't know what to make of a conclusion that has little to no research or effort behind it. We may even fall into the trap of attributing it to stupidity.

I'm hurt that we are seen as arrogant. I don't think that's a fair judgement. Above poster notwithstanding.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
I'm not sure if these are NT or if they're just me, but I'll take a stab.

1. If we don't know something, it drives us insane until we find out.
2. We're allergic to work that doesn't challenge our brain.
3. We talk and talk about things we find fascinating and don't realize how mind-numbingly boring it is to everyone else.
4 (bonus). We forget that some people haven't thought things through as thoroughly as we have and don't know what to make of a conclusion that has little to no research or effort behind it. We may even fall into the trap of attributing it to stupidity.

I'm hurt that we are seen as arrogant. I don't think that's a fair judgement. Above poster notwithstanding.

1. You're probably just an obsessive, not knowing something doesn't matter unless its important.
2. No, NT's will do mundane tasks, systems implementations are boring, programming, testing, project governance... all boring... but everyone is on $200k plus. We rationalise and conform, we follow systems and the reward furthers our goals outside work.
3. You're probably talking to the wrong audience. Effort expended for nothing. A smart INT will pitch his/her conversation based on his/her knowledge that conforms to that groups outlook.
4. A poorly researched and thinly based conclusion is akin to stupidity. Bit like all this evidence that exists for Global Warming... Still, all the academics must be loving the additional research grants... bit like the Y2K bug...

As for being arrogant. Who me....:hi: I enjoy it... often it brings people like yourself into conflict so I can enjoy a good arguement... Which is necessary to help alleviate the mudane that comes with task 2.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just to note that Haight is an INT. There are many of these threads around the forum in order to make it fair -- i.e., no one type is being "picked on."

So there's no need to defend INTs. This is supposed to be a FUN thread, nost a justification thread.

So just suck it up and laugh at your foibles.

heart

heart on fire
The only complaint I have with NT is when some of them assume that F always means neurotic Fe.

ETA. Just want to clarify that I don't mean Fe is neurotic in and of itself, I meaning more when neurotic people express a lot of neurotic Fe.

Last edited: