• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Top Three Reasons For Why INTs Suck

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Belated entrance to this thread...

1) Lack of empathy/appropriate emotional responses (specially when distracted by thinking).

2) Easily frustrated with morons intellectual laziness.

3) Um, not being able to think of a third reason why INTs suck.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
INTs suck because..
#1 They often have problems progressing past puberty and become overly defensive and childish when pressured.
#2 They are obsessed with intellect and seem to ignore the other parts of what it is to be human in favour of being a brain in a jar.
#3 INTs can be the most utterly boring people on the planet. Their brains get caught in loops and their thinking becomes unshiftable.

Oh and if I may broach into a fourth...
#4 the 'under the surface' competetive "spirit" which drives each to try ot pull rank and establish pecking orders based on near sighted and often irrelevant sets of standards.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
#4 the 'under the surface' competetive "spirit" which drives each to try ot pull rank and establish pecking orders based on near sighted and often irrelevant sets of standards.

That's a T thingie, Xini. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
That's a T thingie, Xini. :)
The T thing is the pecking order and what it's based on yeah but the style of competition is specifically INT. It's beneath the surface and sneaky (I not E) and it's all based on subjective pattern recognition giving points in an almost bowling kind of fashion (N not S).

I can do competition but such petty depths are things I dislike about INTs especially when I catch myself engaging in such behaviour.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
3. Approaching other peoples' problems with solutions, rather than with empathy

Right on!

You know, I make genuine efforts to understand the thinking of the other types (if for no other reason than that I find myself trapped on the same planet with them), but this I will never understand. Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.

Actually, not a great analogy:

If you're lost and go to a cop for help, it's implicit that you're there mainly for a set of directions. His duty in the relationship IS to resolve practical matters. Of course you wouldn't go to him just for emotional support.

Meanwhile, many people approach their friends in order to find some solidarity and vent their frustrations without fear of judgment, probably on equal levels with the desire for some sort of solution. They are also feeling emotionally vulnerable. Friends play many roles at once, with the relational/emotional support being a large part of things.

I think the role of a friend is to determine what is truly needed <not necessarily what they want, but what they need> by the person and do their best to play that role. And often the friend must equip the person to resolve the issue themselves (or encourage them in a way that allows them to continue the battle), rather than trying to just directly solve it for them. Providing solutions and little else transforms the relationship from an equal-level one to a hierarchical one, with the person with the problem being on a lower level than the one providing the solution.

(So they came to their friend as an equal level person and go away feeling preached to or talked down to or suffering the insinuation they weren't smart enough to solve their own problem, when really they just wanted someone to reframe things or tell them they weren't as far off-base as they felt.)

curmudgeon

Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.

It used to be quite frustrating talking to an ESFJ in my life until I realized she didn't want solutions, and she didn't want to change the way she reacted to things. She just wanted someone to say, "There there. You really are amazing for ________ [fill in the blank]!"

I don't throw platitudes her way, but when she vents, I no longer try to fix it. I just listen. It's not the most comfortable place for me to be, but I try to give her what she needs without sacrificing my self.

As a writer by profession, my primary goal is to consider the audience. I found this often applies to my personal life, as well.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So when are the NFs gonna start their little "NFs suck because..." topic?

Maybe they're a little too arrogant! ;)

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Actually, not a great analogy:

You XNTPs and your analogy-dissecting. I have this precise debate with my ENTP friend all of the time; he points out the (to me) insignificant ways in which my analogy doesn't line up perfectly and I get frustrated because I was simply throwing out an analogy as a means of attempting to explain in words a notion swirling about my mind. My contention is that if you understood what I was getting at, then the analogy was a fine analogy as it served its purpose.

If you're lost and go to a cop for help, it's implicit that you're there mainly for a set of directions. His duty in the relationship IS to resolve practical matters. Of course you wouldn't go to him just for emotional support.

Meanwhile, many people approach their friends in order to find some solidarity and vent their frustrations without fear of judgment, probably on equal levels with the desire for some sort of solution. They are also feeling emotionally vulnerable. Friends play many roles at once, with the relational/emotional support being a large part of things.

I think the role of a friend is to determine what is truly needed <not necessarily what they want, but what they need> by the person and do their best to play that role. And often the friend must equip the person to resolve the issue themselves (or encourage them in a way that allows them to continue the battle), rather than trying to just directly solve it for them. Providing solutions and little else transforms the relationship from an equal-level one to a hierarchical one, with the person with the problem being on a lower level than the one providing the solution.

(So they came to their friend as an equal level person and go away feeling preached to or talked down to or suffering the insinuation they weren't smart enough to solve their own problem, when really they just wanted someone to reframe things or tell them they weren't as far off-base as they felt.)

Fair enough, but if I'm expected to read people and anticipate their wants/reactions/etc., it's a two-way street. If someone can't tell within about 2 minutes of meeting me that I'm not your guy for emotional support then, well, they're pretty dense.

Of course, at this point in my life I unintentionally (or without noticing I was doing it, at least) pared my acquaintances down to a group which contains no Fs at all. Problem solved!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They'll probably just want to start a "Name Three Reasons NF's are so Wonderful" thread. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You XNTPs and your analogy-dissecting. I have this precise debate with my ENTP friend all of the time; he points out the (to me) insignificant ways in which my analogy doesn't line up perfectly and I get frustrated because I was simply throwing out an analogy as a means of attempting to explain in words a notion swirling about my mind. My contention is that if you understood what I was getting at, then the analogy was a fine analogy as it served its purpose.

lol, okay -- point taken then, now that I understand that. :)

Fair enough, but if I'm expected to read people and anticipate their wants/reactions/etc., it's a two-way street. If someone can't tell within about 2 minutes of meeting me that I'm not your guy for emotional support then, well, they're pretty dense.

Good point as well. Although sometimes people are as hard-headed as they accuse us of being -- "You WILL listen to me, and you WILL sympathize, and you WILL help me feel better... just because I want you to!"

The only conflict is with people who you're related to... who thus attach empathy requirements to the relationship (spouse, kid, parent, whatnot). Those ones are hard to weasel out of: "You married me, so you're supposed to care!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some people consider it rude for one group to start topics about another group! ;)

But, of course, that did not stop him in the least...

(that's our boy!) :shock:

Let's see if the NFs play along, though, before we get too excited about it.

Strangely replying with "you're supposed to think" causes more offence than they seem to think that their statement made...

I can vouch that the "You're supposed to care!" offended me on SO many different levels when I heard it.

(For example, "Are you saying I *don't* care??? Why do you think I'm wasting all this time listening to you get so worked up??? And why have I spent the last five years in this friendship/marriage/whatever??? Because I *don't* care???")

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moved Mycroft's interesting post/question here.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I can vouch that the "You're supposed to care!" offended me on SO many different levels when I heard it.

(For example, "Are you saying I *don't* care??? Why do you think I'm wasting all this time listening to you get so worked up??? And why have I spent the last five years in this friendship/marriage/whatever??? Because I *don't* care???")
That always throws them :D I recall a very similar discussion with an old friend who thought I basically disagreed with everything about him. Trying to explain that of course I gave a shit otherwise I'd not say a word and just nod and that disagreeing is just another form of conversation and working through things. Took several days and some shouting :)

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Right. If I didn't care I wouldn't be trying so hard. Oy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That always throws them :D

Actually, what usually happened is that the Feeler hones in on the word "wasted" (see my quote) that I let slip out in frustration -- "What do you mean WASTING your time??? You consider this marriage/friendship to be WASTING your time? Why did you ever marry/befriend me if you just thought you were WASTING your life!!!!!??? I hate you! Go away! I don't know why I thought I could ever talk to you about the things that matter to me!"

Grrrrrr.....

which leads to:
#5 Reason. Typecast as the RB/HB [Ruthless Bastard / Heartless Bitch].