User Tag List

First 78910111959 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Belated entrance to this thread...

1) Lack of empathy/appropriate emotional responses (specially when distracted by thinking).

2) Easily frustrated with morons intellectual laziness.

3) Um, not being able to think of a third reason why INTs suck.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    That's why it's a hidden arrogance.
    It is not arrogance to know.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

INTs suck because..
    #1 They often have problems progressing past puberty and become overly defensive and childish when pressured.
    #2 They are obsessed with intellect and seem to ignore the other parts of what it is to be human in favour of being a brain in a jar.
    #3 INTs can be the most utterly boring people on the planet. Their brains get caught in loops and their thinking becomes unshiftable.

Oh and if I may broach into a fourth...
    #4 the 'under the surface' competetive "spirit" which drives each to try ot pull rank and establish pecking orders based on near sighted and often irrelevant sets of standards.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    #4 the 'under the surface' competetive "spirit" which drives each to try ot pull rank and establish pecking orders based on near sighted and often irrelevant sets of standards.
    That's a T thingie, Xini.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    That's a T thingie, Xini.
    The T thing is the pecking order and what it's based on yeah but the style of competition is specifically INT. It's beneath the surface and sneaky (I not E) and it's all based on subjective pattern recognition giving points in an almost bowling kind of fashion (N not S).

I can do competition but such petty depths are things I dislike about INTs especially when I catch myself engaging in such behaviour.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    3. Approaching other peoples' problems with solutions, rather than with empathy

Right on!
    You know, I make genuine efforts to understand the thinking of the other types (if for no other reason than that I find myself trapped on the same planet with them), but this I will never understand. Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.
    Actually, not a great analogy:

If you're lost and go to a cop for help, it's implicit that you're there mainly for a set of directions. His duty in the relationship IS to resolve practical matters. Of course you wouldn't go to him just for emotional support.

Meanwhile, many people approach their friends in order to find some solidarity and vent their frustrations without fear of judgment, probably on equal levels with the desire for some sort of solution. They are also feeling emotionally vulnerable. Friends play many roles at once, with the relational/emotional support being a large part of things.

I think the role of a friend is to determine what is truly needed <not necessarily what they want, but what they need> by the person and do their best to play that role. And often the friend must equip the person to resolve the issue themselves (or encourage them in a way that allows them to continue the battle), rather than trying to just directly solve it for them. Providing solutions and little else transforms the relationship from an equal-level one to a hierarchical one, with the person with the problem being on a lower level than the one providing the solution.

(So they came to their friend as an equal level person and go away feeling preached to or talked down to or suffering the insinuation they weren't smart enough to solve their own problem, when really they just wanted someone to reframe things or tell them they weren't as far off-base as they felt.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Discussing a problem you're having with a friend but not wanting practical guidance is like going up to a street cop and telling him the woeful tale of how you were trying to find the library but simply could not, then getting miffed when he proceeds to give you what he considers good directions on how to get to the library.
    It used to be quite frustrating talking to an ESFJ in my life until I realized she didn't want solutions, and she didn't want to change the way she reacted to things. She just wanted someone to say, "There there. You really are amazing for ________ [fill in the blank]!"

I don't throw platitudes her way, but when she vents, I no longer try to fix it. I just listen. It's not the most comfortable place for me to be, but I try to give her what she needs without sacrificing my self.

As a writer by profession, my primary goal is to consider the audience. I found this often applies to my personal life, as well.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So when are the NFs gonna start their little "NFs suck because..." topic?

Maybe they're a little too arrogant!

MBTI
    INTJ

Why do you have to wait for them to start?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.