User Tag List

First 345671555 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    3. Approaching other peoples' problems with solutions, rather than with empathy
    My ISFJ wife has taught me a lot about this. At the end of the day ... if she vents ... I try to giver her sympathy/empathy instead of trying to solve her problems. It turns out to be a lot less stressful for me, as I could not solve her work-related problems anyway.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    so if you are sitting down at a table talking to someone, what happens is that you'll find a way to assert your dominance over them and their ideas. If they say something you don't like, it isn't just rational... the arrogance comes out in how you dismiss the other person. Not as a permanent thing, but in how you convey that dismissal.
    What about debate?

What I don't like is that it looks to me like you're saying this is how INTs interact when faced with conflicting views. All the time. "They're not rational therefore I can treat them poorly."

When confronted with just such a situation I may give that person a look - and it's not a pretty one, I'll admit. But I bite my tongue and I change the subject. I will not engage.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    What about debate?
    There are times when it is good, of course. You get a lot of it at INTPc, though you'll also see INTPs go overboard there, even with each other.

What I don't like is that it looks to me like you're saying this is how INTs interact when faced with conflicting views. All the time. "They're not rational therefore I can treat them poorly."
    Very little is "all the time", so no, I don't mean it that way. There are those that are like that all the time and those that are rarely like that. There is just the tendency to do this - a rather strong one. Not to mention personality is probably a gradient of strengths, so not everyone will be as strongly INT (expressed or inherent, depending on your theory of personality).

When confronted with just such a situation I may give that person a look - and it's not a pretty one, I'll admit. But I bite my tongue and I change the subject. I will not engage.
    Which is probably good But what you are saying is that you still do it... Restraint doesn't change the underlying nature...
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-19-2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

MBTI
    INTJ

I give up.

I didn't want to let you down.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I give up.

I didn't want to let you down.
    Hah hah... I figured. But does that mean you agree....? Probably not INTs very rarely agree after a dispute because neither will back down... Curious that

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hah hah... I figured. But does that mean you agree....? Probably not INTs very rarely agree after a dispute because neither will back down... Curious that
    This is one reason why I'm writing a white paper for auditors.

I've learned that there are times where agreeing can be fun. Then there are other times where I just decide not to argue anymore, which is agreeing that the dispute happened and that we need peace more than we need discontent.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

*Warning Over-dramatization* ~I get the feeling this thread is a set-up let me help~
    3 reasons INTXs suck:
    1. I'm so logical it hurts. I must be as complicated as possible when communicating to make sure no one knows whether I am right or wrong unless they are willing to break out a dictionary. Don't worry you could never be as smart as me anyway!
    2. I'm totally and completely misunderstood *sniffle*. I cannot however do anything to change that as it will infringe upon my autonomy!! Who needs other people anyway? It's so illogical to want friends.
    3. I'm sorry but no, I cannot take your feelings into consideration before I speak.
    Feelings are bad news avoid them at all costs!!! Lucky for me I don't have any!!!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    *Warning Over-dramatization* ~I get the feeling this thread is a set-up let me help~
    Aw....you can trust anything someone from management says here....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    3 reasons INTXs suck:
    1. I'm so logical it hurts. I must be as complicated as possible when communicating to make sure no one knows whether I am right or wrong unless they are willing to break out a dictionary. Don't worry you could never be as smart as me anyway!
    2. I'm totally and completely misunderstood *sniffle*. I cannot however do anything to change that as it will infringe upon my autonomy!! Who needs other people anyway? It's so illogical to want friends.
    3. I'm sorry but no, I cannot take your feelings into consideration before I speak.
    Feelings are bad news avoid them at all costs!!! Lucky for me I don't have any!!!
    hehehe Lookin' is funny!

She should play like this more often.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

1. It seems like everyone else gets guidance on some level from someone on how to grow in society, and as a little INTJ girl, I had no clue what was going on. I was a slow starter. I wasn't dumb, but it took me a long while to Hack The System.
    (I feel competent now.)

So, Lack of Role Models. I think someone already mentioned this, though.

2. People tell you you are weird, but they don't have good reasons, often. This causes some minor identity issues during early adolescence.

3. I'm very selfish. I don't want to be, and I make effort to not be, but that's the truth.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis