User Tag List

First 1018192021223070 Last

Veneti, I have trouble believing you wrote that reply and still can't see the elitist angle to this.

I submit that there is a lot of comedy here that you probably haven't seen as well. You might be the first person in history to suggest that the government improves comedy.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You're not really making an airtight case against elitism, man.
    LMAO!

Three reasons why INT's suck

1. They can't make posts as awesome as Ivy.
    2. They take themselves too seriously.
    3. They have trouble admitting that ENT's are right more often than they are.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You're not really making an airtight case against elitism, man.
    Ok then, putting it another way. Here in Britain we aspire to swinging down from the trees and walking upright.

We don't want to make it large, or have fries with it. We'd actually like to have our minds challenged ever so slightly and not be satiated by spoon feed programming that is cheap and nasty, with poor scripting.

Happy?

Lucky I live on this Island thats for sure... although I'm beginning to think the US is a desolate island for anyone with half a brain.

Is everyone beginning to warm to me more now?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    LMAO!

Three reasons why INT's suck

1. They can't make posts as awesome as Ivy.
    2. They take themselves too seriously.
    3. They have trouble admitting that ENT's are right more often than they are.
    +1 for #1!
    +1 for #2!
    -1 for #3!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Veneti, I have trouble believing you wrote that reply and still can't see the elitist angle to this.

I submit that there is a lot of comedy here that you probably haven't seen as well. You might be the first person in history to suggest that the government improves comedy.
    Hmm... You guys have a lot to learn.

The BBC will fund script writers who have production teams and they will produce a specific piece of work . This way we have a massive variety of interesting insights into life and from many angles. Virtually all of the Elitist comedy you refer to (or think about) is one segment of the total output.

The government doesn't improve comedy, but it facilitates its expression. Far better than some privately held studio deciding that everyone is just an advertising target. (We don't have adverts on the BBC believe it or not).

Have a nice week I'm making exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Hmm... You guys have a lot to learn.

The BBC will fund script writers who have production teams and they will produce a specific piece of work . This way we have a massive variety of interesting insights into life and from many angles. Virtually all of the Elitist comedy you refer to (or think about) is one segment of the total output.

The government doesn't improve comedy, but it facilitates its expression. Far better than some privately held studio deciding that everyone is just an advertising target. (We don't have adverts on the BBC believe it or not).

Have a nice week I'm making exit.
    I was going to mention how he conveniently sidestepped my point about his knowledge of American television and to point out that I didn't call the comedy elitist but rather its proponents. However, I'm easily distracted and I had to groom my girlfriend and then throw my poop at my brother. Ooooh, look, bananas!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Ok then, putting it another way. Here in Britain we aspire to swinging down from the trees and walking upright.

We don't want to make it large, or have fries with it. We'd actually like to have our minds challenged ever so slightly and not be satiated by spoon feed programming that is cheap and nasty, with poor scripting.
    Could you name a few of these intelligent comedies?

I've seen most of an episode of Little Britain and we'll say no more about that. I've seen Shaun of the Dead which I enjoyed, but it was hardly high-brow humour. I also enjoyed Black Books, but that was written by an Irishman I believe.

My favourite comedies in recent times tend to come from America, such as Arrested Development, Scrubs, Family Guy, Passions and Quentin Tarantino movies. And the inimitable Napoleon Dynamite, of course. Where they are dumb, they are dumb in quite a smart way (Passions possibly more by accident than design).

Having said this, I continue to find that many Brits I meet irl possess a distinctive wry, dry, self-deprecating and very understated senses of humour which I rarely find in the Americans I meet. Understatement in humour is a very British trait which, unfortunately, is often absent in those comedies they produce which reach these shores.

Personally I think the American/British comedy dichotomy belonged largely to an earlier generation, and has been obsolete for some time (possibly due to the influence of British comedy on America). I suspect, though, that the dichotomy has been sustained because it is such a safe, cultured prejudice to profess (especially when one is 16-22).

[/]

heart on fire

I like "As Time Goes By" and "Are You Being Served?"

I cannot stand Family Guy, The Simpsons.

I like King of the Hill.

MBTI
    INTP

Overthinking? There is no such a thing.
    To think is to be prepared. To think is to do. To do is to win.

Say, an INT is ill and goes to see a doctor. The INT is prepared. He is in charge. He tells the doctor what pills to prescribe. What measures to take.

The doctor is first cowed. He obeys. Only then comes the anger, the hurt professional pride, the idea of a refusal. But it is too late. The patient has already left the room.

Thinking=being prepared. You can not attack the man with authority without the authority over him.

Authority becomes from being prepared. To know more than the other. Not to cow. To speak out with harshness.
    And then to leave the room while the other one (the ignorant fool) is still talking.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Overthinking? There is no such a thing.
    To think is to be prepared. To think is to do. To do is to win.

Say, an INT is ill and goes to see a doctor. The INT is prepared. He is in charge. He tells the doctor what pills to prescribe. What measures to take.

The doctor is first cowed. He obeys. Only then comes the anger, the hurt professional pride, the idea of a refusal. But it is too late. The patient has already left the room.

Thinking=being prepared. You can not attack the man with authority without the authority over him.

Authority becomes from being prepared. To know more than the other. Not to cow. To speak out with harshness.
    And then to leave the room while the other one (the ignorant fool) is still talking.
    Anybody else wanna take this one? I already got in one argument today