• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTJs, how do you deal with/feel about Te?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Me: high Ni, not so great Te (hence the lowercase j - for some reason I still feel like NT, but it's the dealing with the outer world that indicates weak Te. This is less about the abstract thinking Ni-Te team than about Te in everyday life)

To me, using Te is often very exhausting, but also quite rewarding at times. I have this tendency to hoard stuff I have to do and make it a Te day and inevitably, I'll curse the advent of such days. On the other hand, I also have really productive days during which I get a load of stuff done and that seems to energise me. All in all, I would say that I turn on the Te engine very reluctantly, but then run with it quite nicely for a certain amount of time. I notice that I'm more Ni-Te during the day and more Ni(-Ne) at night or during holidays etc...it is my preferred modus operandi and the more whimsical and free Ni(-Ne) combination is more energising than the Ni-Te one, but I can only operate in it when the constraints of everyday life have been met with Te.

I guess it's a bit of a necessary evil to me in this capacity.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I ask because the question is begged: Why exactly don't you think you're INFJ?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Lack of Fe would be one.

I notice some people tend to type Ni-heavy INTJs as INFJs. Or INTPs because the perceiving function is most obvious.

Do I strike you as INFJ?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I test high Fi, Ne, and Ni and I tend to have similar reactions to positive use of Te.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel similarly about Te. My best-developed functions are invariably introverted ones (exception being Si), and my best-developed extraverted function is Ne. That's why I've had so much trouble typing myself (I was stuck somewhere between INTJ and INTP, with Ni and Ti being my strongest functions).

When I'm with people I tend to be a lot more Ne-focussed. It's much easier to get along with people that way. I really enjoy brainstorming with other people and engaging in random silliness. Sometimes (when my work requires it), I sit down and think about ideas and possibilities using my Ti/Ne - which is really enjoyable, but hardly the way that I normally function.

The very extraverted Te I drag out when I need to justify something to other people, write a thesis/paper, plan experiments etc. It's tiring because it requires moving out of the mental image into an extraverted space, I think. I'm perfectly fine having the ideas and layout in my head, making perfect sense. I'm less comfortable having to phrase it; give it context so that people understand.

Another example that I think is relevant is trouble-shooting using the Ni/Te. Most INTPs whom I know in the lab aren't exceptional trouble-shooters, but are good at generating ideas/theories. The postdoc in my lab is completely INTJ, and is one of the best trouble-shooters I know. I'm learning a great deal from him. If something doesn't work, we return to the principles that it should work on, generate possible reasons why it doesn't work, score these based on probability and then design new experiments with good controls to tell us more. The INTPs whom I know generally go "oh, it doesn't work. Damnit, let's try this other method" (probably the Ti/Ne).

I couldn't be anything but an INTJ, because I like to control the variables and find ways to monitor every single stage. I think that's very much a Te function. But I agree, the Ne is very energising normally (I just tend to think of people who brainstorm, come up with tonnes of theories with little follow-through as being flakey).

F

FigerPuppet

I wish people would stop saying "I have a weak [insert function here]". For every type there is a special order of functions. You must have this order of functions if you're an INTJ: Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

If you do not have this order, you're not an INTJ. It's as simple as that. E.g.: If Fi is stronger than Te, then the order of the functions changes and you become another type.

Usehername

On a mission
I wish people would stop saying "I have a weak [insert function here]". For every type there is a special order of functions. You must have this order of functions if you're an INTJ: Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

If you do not have this order, you're not an INTJ. It's as simple as that. E.g.: If Fi is stronger than Te, then the order of the functions changes and you become another type.

If you assert this, then where do the bazillion people go that don't have their 8 CPs in the right order for any standard type? :huh:

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Ni, Ti, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Si, Fe -- Okay, well since I don't fit the INTJ thing, and I'm definitely Ni-dominant, then I must be INFJ, but wait! My Fe's the bottom of the barrel. Well, let's try INTP then, eh? Er, no, my function order's messed up for that too. Hm, if I tweaked it a bit, perhaps I could come out ENTJ... Okay, fine, if I tweaked it a lot...

Bah, screw it! *morphs into ESFP*

In response to the OP, I don't often feel drained by it, but that's because I spend enough time alone to compensate. I think the issue some IxTJs have with Te is that Te is a very demanding function, and it can be draining for an introvert to use it for too long. I wouldn't be suprised if extroverts sometimes felt drained by it as well. I tend to like it, though. Especially after I've had plenty of time to not use it, because the minute it's kicked up, I kind of get on a production binge, and suddenly everything that needed to be done is taken care of. It's a good feeling, though it can get out of hand if I let it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is some weird stuff, because Te is what seems to get me through everything. I'm still really introverted, though.

Not really my place to post, but just so that this post doesn't feel totally unproductive, during the points of the day when my Te wears out, I do activities like watching videos and reading stories.

Please, continue.

Last edited:

redacted

Wrong.

If you're an Ni dominant and use Fi and Te, you're an INTJ. Even if Fi is more active than Te.

What other type would you call that person?

(I know a lot of INJs that seem to be quite comfortable with their tertiary function, even more so than their auxiliary. Introverted functions are safer, and are in closer affinity with the dominant.)

F

FigerPuppet

Wrong.

If you're an Ni dominant and use Fi and Te, you're an INTJ. Even if Fi is more active than Te.

What other type would you call that person?

(I know a lot of INJs that seem to be quite comfortable with their tertiary function, even more so than their auxiliary. Introverted functions are safer, and are in closer affinity with the dominant.)

Wrong. If you're an Ni dominant, Te auxiliary and Fi tertiary then you're an INTJ. The order must be exactly this, or else you're not an INTJ.

You're supposed to be able to get the order of functions of a type from reading the 4 letters.

INTJ - Ni dominant because of I and J. Te auxiliary because of I and J. "INTJ" means -Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si-. You can't be an "INTJ" with auxiliary Fi, because that goes against the abbreviation "INTJ". You might use Fi more than usual, but you can not use it more than your Te.

redacted

I'm not talking about the words auxiliary or tertiary. Fi is by definition the tertiary of an INTJ, and Te is by definition the auxiliary. (I understand MBTI, you don't have to teach me anything here.)

I'm just saying that it's not necessary that you actually consciously focus more on Te than Fi.

There are only two choices for Ni dominants. Those two choices are Te/Fi and Ti/Fe. Give me a reason they'd have to be in a specific order...

Or, in other terms, what would you call someone that used Ni first and Fi second? You'd have to call them INTJ...you have no other option.

Then what are you?????

Your take on MBTI doesn't account for shades of grey, meaning you will mistype people.

Glaceau

MBTI Type
RAD
Wrong. If you're an Ni dominant, Te auxiliary and Fi tertiary then you're an INTJ. The order must be exactly this, or else you're not an INTJ.

You're supposed to be able to get the order of functions of a type from reading the 4 letters.

INTJ - Ni dominant because of I and J. Te auxiliary because of I and J. "INTJ" means -Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si-. You can't be an "INTJ" with auxiliary Fi, because that goes against the abbreviation "INTJ". You might use Fi more than usual, but you can not use it more than your Te.

That does not answer Usehername's question.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It's possible to access functions in a different order to your type preference by burning personal energy. So there will be INTJs who access Fe or Fi, and enjoy the novelty of doing so.. it may even be more active than the Te in facing the world. But, they are burning emotional (maybe not right word) energy in doing so, and it's more exhausting than their core preferences.

Just to throw that in the mix.

redacted

It's possible to access functions in a different order to your type preference by burning personal energy. So there will be INTJs who access Fe or Fi, and enjoy the novelty of doing so.. it may even be more active than the Te in facing the world. But, they are burning emotional (maybe not right word) energy in doing so, and it's more exhausting than their core preferences.

Just to throw that in the mix.

I agree, except for when you said Fe. Fe directly gets in the way of Te, so it's probably only used in very rare cases.

Extroverted judging processes use the exact same premises to draw conclusions. So you can get "true" and "bad" from the exact same pool of data. Bad news.

With one pointed inwards and the other pointed out, they don't directly contradict each other. For example, Ti can say 'true' and Fe can say 'bad', which means it's true but it shouldn't (keyword - should, like value should) be applied or said. Or Fi can say 'good' and Te can say 'false', which means it should ideally be, but that ideal is not applicable or implementable at the moment.

If Te says 'true' and Fe says 'bad', that means that it should be applied, but it can't be applied. Or if Ti says 'false' and Fi says 'good', that means it should ideally be but it isn't. Those options lead to great cognitive dissonance, whereas the above options are much easier to handle.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I agree, except for when you said Fe. Fe directly gets in the way of Te, so it's probably only used in very rare cases.

Extroverted judging processes use the exact same premises to draw conclusions. So you can get "true" and "bad" from the exact same pool of data. Bad news.

With one pointed inwards and the other pointed out, they don't directly contradict each other. For example, Ti can say 'true' and Fe can say 'bad', which means it's true but it shouldn't (keyword - should, like value should) be applied. Or Fi can say 'good' and Te can say 'false', which means it should ideally be, but that ideal is not applicable or implementable.

If Te says 'true' and Fe says 'bad', that means that it should be applied, but it can't be applied. Or if Ti says 'false' and Fi says 'good', that means it should ideally be but it isn't. Those options lead to great cognitive dissonance, whereas the above options are much easier to handle.

Hmm. Fe and Te... surely it is possible for an individual who tries really hard to use Fe.. even if Te is their core external function? After all it's just a case of personal development. Sure it'll be hard for an immature individual (in terms of life experience, not attitude) but for an experienced, say, middle aged individual, it should be possible to do so. To develop some external warmth and understanding, say.. it's just going to be tiring, but it may be enjoyable through novelty to allow Te to take a temporary back seat.

redacted

"external warmth and understanding" does not have to come from Fe, though. In the INTJs case, it's much more likely to be Ni-Fi expressed through Te. Ni-Fi is extremely capable of deep understanding of other people's feelings (as long as the INTJ decides to care about the person).

Extroversion, for feeling, just means that the value judgments are deduced from externally tangible premises. Fi can care deeply about others, as long as their set of internal premises leads to positive sentiment.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn

Is this an attempt to compensate my lacking Te? :p

What I meant was that I have a comparatively weak Te for an INTJ. And a comparatively very high Ni. I didn't speak about the order of the functions.

Seriously, though, let's also try a creative approach to the theory and look beyond what it posits as absolute or what you interpret it as positing as absolute.

Especially after I've had plenty of time to not use it, because the minute it's kicked up, I kind of get on a production binge, and suddenly everything that needed to be done is taken care of. It's a good feeling, though it can get out of hand if I let it.

Yes, I kind of rolled into working on my finances today and the Te effect was very cool and obvious. The thing is that I rolled into it and hadn't consciously determined that I *had* to. Seems to make a big difference.

In the INTJs case, it's much more likely to be Ni-Fi expressed through Te. Ni-Fi is extremely capable of deep understanding of other people's feelings (as long as the INTJ decides to care about the person).

So then what would be the difference with a Fe manifestation of external warmth and understanding? I have noticed that I'm better at and more comfortable with comforting my ESFP friend than at dealing with my INFJ friend's or my ESFJ mother's emotions - I feel ineffective or (at times) held back with them, despite sensing the Fi-ing inside. There's nothing to connect the Fi to. Hmm...I feel like it's empathy (Fi) vs. sympathy (Fe) sometimes.

F

FigerPuppet

I'm not talking about the words auxiliary or tertiary. Fi is by definition the tertiary of an INTJ, and Te is by definition the auxiliary. (I understand MBTI, you don't have to teach me anything here.)

I'm just saying that it's not necessary that you actually consciously focus more on Te than Fi.

Ah, okay. I must've misunderstood. Disregard everything I've written.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hell, I'm just proud that I was able to comprehend these two pages.