• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTJ and INTP Comparison

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
You are saying that like it is a bad thing.

It can be either good or bad. Any personality trait can be a strength or a weakness. It mostly depends on the context of the situation.

? said:
I originally recalled the themes to resonate more with a "Planner" (hence Berens name for ISTJs), however I went back to look at the first person and general descriptions after making my comment. I recant my statement because I can see why INTJ would be considered the epitome of "Chart the Course" types from first couple of paragraphs of each description. As you read further to get an overall theme, the descriptions become chaotic in an attempt to acknowledge INTJ, INFJ, ISTJ and ISTP.

It may be why as ISTP, I seem to resonate more (depending on my usage, or lack thereof, Se) with the "Behind the Scenes" style when using my Ti too much and with the "In Charge" style when my environment forces me into a role of leadership.

Thank you for this verification. :) When I read about interaction styles it seems like four types seem to fit their descriptions best: INTJ, ENTJ, ENFP, INFP. Also there are four types that make me scratch my head and wonder why they got grouped that way: ISTP, ESTP, ESFJ, ISFJ. I'm not saying that the designation is wrong though. It's just that when I look at the four types INTJ, ISTJ, INFJ, and ISTP, it seems like the ISTP type as a whole doesn't share as much in common as the other three do.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
When I read about interaction styles it seems like four types seem to fit their descriptions best: INTJ, ENTJ, ENFP, INFP.
I can’t argue those that you have chosen although I equally think that ESTJ, ESFP and ISFP can equally represent their respective interaction styles.
Also there are four types that make me scratch my head and wonder why they got grouped that way: ISTP, ESTP, ESFJ, ISFJ. I'm not saying that the designation is wrong though. It's just that when I look at the four types INTJ, ISTJ, INFJ, and ISTP, it seems like the ISTP type as a whole doesn't share as much in common as the other three do.
I think it goes back to Berens’ being a student of Keirsey, so she based her interaction styles on his theory. This only reminds us that MBTI and temperament no more correlate perfectly than MBTI and the enneagram or any other system.

I have come to appreciate MBTI as a workable theory based on Jung and Berens’ work as a practical application to Keirsey. So to respond to your confusion, I actually see STPs being in the appropriate place of their respective interaction styles as are the SFJs. I have argued for years since becoming aware of Berens work that I may share a great deal with INTPs in just thinking and discussing theories, but when it comes to real world situations and actually taking some course of action, I have more in common with INTJ.

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
The INTJ resembles a chess player, ruminating on the possibilites and then making decisive accurate moves. If the INTP played life as chess, he would keep wishing to modify the allowed-move-properties of his various pieces to optimise his strategy, find that that isn't allowed, and ask to start the game afresh! The ENTP chess player would indeed modify the rules to his advantage and complain that the standard rules were inadequate! The ENTJ would play by the standard rules but insist on making the moves for his opponent as well ! From Here

I just found this piece rather amusing... it's more humourous than anything.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
If it is said that "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation", I submit to you that "The mass of INTJs lead lives of quiet exasperation".

:D