• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Sensotard moments

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My worst sensotard moment of 2008: Got up to pee in the middle of the night. Miraculously remembered to turn on the bathroom light, but didn't look where I was sitting and missed the toilet seat completely. I fell, hitting my head and shoulder on the bathtub. Hitting my head is never a problem--it's hard as a rock--but the force of the blow to my shoulder shattered it and I spent the next week in the hospital having to explain to drs, nurses and Social Services that no, I wasn't being abused by anyone; I was just a natural klutz.:D Then there were all the questions about whether I could "safely" live at home. Of course I'm not "safe"; I'm an N--with my thoughts always other than on the task at hand--and clumsy to boot, but I couldn't say that without risking getting incarcerated in a nursing home (fate worse than death in my mind).

I had a similar nasty experience in 2007 while I was cycling home from work. My mobile phone rang and I pulled over onto the sidewalk to answer it safely. Well that was the theory, anyway. What I actually did was attempt to dismount before the cycle had stopped moving, causing my right leg to slip away under me, followed by the entire heavy bike crashing down on top of it. After a few dazed moments, I attempted to stand up only to collapse in blinding agony when my kneecap slipped out of place! I had dislocated it badly, and also snapped the Cruciate ligament inside my knee. Never did find out who was trying to call me BTW.

Two years and two operations later, I am only just starting to get the full range of motion back in my right knee. Definitely my worst Sensotard moment ever - but it taught me a valuable lesson about paying more attention to important things such as "speed" and "hard objects"!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's really a good one I kept forgetting and was just reminded of by a subway ad:

Grew up watching PBS and never realized that the "P" was the shape of a human head.
I even asked my mother once why it had all the "stuff" on the back of it (back when the letter used to face forward). And she told me they just "put a face on it" and I still didn't get it (and I didn't even know what she was talking about, regarding "face"! It just looked like jagged lines to me). It was not until they reversed the letter P into the modern logo of a forward facing head all by itself.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/PBS_1971_id.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/PBS_1984_Ident.jpg
Eventually (more toward the present time); I finally got it, and wondered how I could have missed it all those years. (This after having to think why they reversed it; and then I took a good look at it and finally recognized one day!)

Last edited:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow, not quite sure what that was, Eric. :D

Is this an Intuitard moment?

Not being able to figure out the reverse of something you already know. Here's how it went:

One teacher: Where do these molecular motions show up on the electromagnetic spectrum?
Me: Infrared, I think.
Teacher: Correct.

Other teacher: What physical phenomena can we find in the infrared?
Me: Uhhhhhh.... Can't think of anything.
Teacher: (The same) molecular motions.
Me: Oh right.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use an electric toothbrush with a rotating head. For the last three days, for some inexplicable sensotard reason, I keep removing the brush from my mouth before switching it off. Result: toothpaste splattered all over the bathroom and myself! :wtf:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another example of the sort I was trying to think of (seeing words scrambled).
When I see the user name "usehername"; it reads "userhame" to me.

Herr Strabenhauser

MBTI Type
INTP
I forgot to buy cigarettes or smoke cigarettes for almost a week before I figured out why I was irritable. I make a very bad addict.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm still laughing about my ISTJ husband and his friend making a huge pot of chili last Sunday and putting ground cloves into it instead of chili powder!

hakuna

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The day that Friday the 13th tried to kill a Sensotard.

Last Friday I went to go see a movie with my friends. Prior to this I had to go to the gas station. I go in and pay, of course I had no idea which pump I had pulled up to. I try to pump my gas. After failing horribly, I went back in to complain that my money was put on the wrong pump or something, which the teller assured me didn't happen. I then go out to my car go through the steps again and what do you know? I forgot to actually PUMP the gas.

Once we are at the theater I get soda and popcorn. I go to get butter for my popcorn. Once I'm upstairs and in the theater I realize that I'd set my coke down to get the butter and that it's still downstairs in the lobby. I go back to get it and it's still sitting there inconspicuous and unlaced.

Then we watch the movie. It "ends" with the two main characters kissing, or so I assumed as this is a probable ending. As I sit waiting for the credits to roll by and for some outtakes or something I realize that my friends have gotten up and are heading for the exit door. At this point I notice that the flashing lights are actually part of an alarm system and we have to vacate the building.

Once outside a friend of mine informs me that it's Friday the 13th and it's obvious someone was playing a practical joke.

Me:0 Friday the 13th: 45837

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Here's really a good one I kept forgetting and was just reminded of by a subway ad:

Grew up watching PBS and never realized that the "P" was the shape of a human head.
I even asked my mother once why it had all the "stuff" on the back of it (back when the letter used to face forward). And she told me they just "put a face on it" and I still didn't get it (and I didn't even know what she was talking about, regarding "face"! It just looked like jagged lines to me). It was not until they reversed the letter P into the modern logo of a forward facing head all by itself.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/PBS_1971_id.png http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/PBS_1984_Ident.jpg
Eventually (more toward the present time); I finally got it, and wondered how I could have missed it all those years. (This after having to think why they reversed it; and then I took a good look at it and finally recognized one day!)

On a similar note, I had no idea what character the Disney "D" was until I was close to 10. It was a fucked up G for all I knew...knowing that it was a Disney film... http://usrwww.mpx.com.au/~jazzyg/disney/images/disney_logo.gif Being a kid rocks.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
On any given day I have misplaced *something*

I've gone days without remembering to brush my teeth and then haven't remembered *if* I brushed my teeth until I checked the bristles. I've washed my hair two or three times in the same shower. Taken meds more than once (*not* a good idea) because I couldn't remember if I'd done it. If my mind is fixated on a guy, whew, I've walked into things, nearly started fires, fallen over tables, and scribbled on myself. I've lost water bottles while they were in my hand.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Strange incidents seem to happen when I am involved with the history class somehow. First time it happened when I was copying homework from friend's textbook, as I was already halfway done, he suddenly asks me
"What the hell are you doing?"
"Uh.. writing the homework."
"It's the wrong page."
"Wah?.. God damn!"
Turns out I had the right page open in my textbook, but his was several pages off. The layout was kind of similar, so I didn't notice. :doh:

Last week there was a test in history and I had forgot to turn my mp3 player off. I was sitting alone that day. As the class quieted down, I started hearing the music, it was quite loud actually, I for some reason thought it would be coming from a certain person a few seats away from me, who could quite easily hide the earphones under his long hair.
Not paying much attention to it, I kept working on the test, eventually people started finishing and leaving the class and as my suspect left, but the music didn't stop, I figured it's just coming from someone else then. With fewer people in the class, it seemed even louder. Then, a particularly familiar loud chugging death metal song started playing, accompanied with the teacher looking at me. I realized I had been the source all along. I casually slipped my hand in the pocket and unplugged the earphones, the color change in my face instantly gave me away. :blush:

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I fell asleep one day and dreamed of something I can't remember clearly, something about school. Woke up and got completely mixed up. I think I was waking up inside the dream so when I woke up in real life I thought we were two days ahead.
Turns out I had been sleeping for 20 miserable minutes:doh:!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just walked through my house, shutting doors quietly, side stepping squeakie floor boards, and generally being stealthy, so I wouldn't wake up flatmates, only to trip up on my boots under my bed, and make a hell of a racket crashing into my wardrobe. Awesome!

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A few days ago the doorbell rang at 11pm. Wondering who could possibly calling so late, we cautiously opened the front door - to see our friendly neighbour with our toy poodle Sammy in tow. I had let him out to go to the toilet over an hour ago and then totally forgotten to let him back in again (not for the first time).

At least the dog had the sense to find a friendly face to help him get back into his own home!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
When I rang my partner at work today, he told me he'd put a mousetrap in the roof cavity and left the ladder inside the house, right next to the bathroom, so it would be easy to rescue said trap.

A few minutes ago:
Partner says 'Hey, isn't it funny having the ladder set up in the hallway?' My response was 'wha? I didn't notice'. I've been home for several hours and walked past it a few times but I didn't notice it. At all. :blush:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hahaha!! I've had it before where I made a box cake, put in all the ingredients.. then proceed to get frustrated because it doesn't resemble cake mix! It looks like a little bit of mush and gross.

So I beat it harder and on a higher setting. It still looks like nothing.

Ask my sister, "What is WRONG with this cake I'm making?!" ...To which she cooly replies, "You forgot to put the cake in." ... So I followed the instructions on the back of the box, and never thought to open the box and put the actual cake mix in.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
Being the last in my group of friends to find out that the married couple among us was getting a divorce. I found out about a month after they decided to break up--and I'd seen them together quite a few times during that month.

The worst part was how I found out. The three of us were in a room together working on something and they were talking about "whether we should tell our professor about it," and I was all "what are you talking about?" They looked at me weird and then told me they were divorcing. Talk about being disconnected from the real world!

Maybe this is my introversion and my lack of emotional IQ mixing with my total disregard for real life crap...

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
I havn't got any funny stories to tell, but I was just thinking that life would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to worry about all the 'sensory', detailed aspects of life. I personally find all those little things we have to worry about everyday incredibly stressful. Have I got my purse with me? Did I wash my clothes last night so I have something to wear today? Did I remember to put petrol in the car? Did I charge my mobile phone? Crap I forgot to brush my teeth! I must remember to return that electrical appliance I bought before the return cut-off date goes by. Arrgghhhh.... I'm so stupid when it comes to everyday stuff like this, and I always get caught out or spend time worrying I'm going to forget to do something (something that I can't remember at the moment!).

Jwill

MBTI Type
INTJ
But, generally speaking, I don't think I have as many sensotard moments as other people on this thread. People seem to be defining sensotard as being absent-minded (like losing the remote-control or walking into the men's room when you are a woman). I guess I see that as (partly) more a J vs P thing. I mean, I'm not very absent-minded at all. I hardly ever do things like forget to brush my hair in the morning--and I'm a VERY strong N.

Instead, my strong N makes me less likely know what's going on in the real world because I am so completely wrapped up in daydreaming or thinking about the future. I get bored with the mundane and forget to pay my cable bill for three months until they disconnect my internet.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I havn't got any funny stories to tell, but I was just thinking that life would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to worry about all the 'sensory', detailed aspects of life. I personally find all those little things we have to worry about everyday incredibly stressful. Have I got my purse with me? Did I wash my clothes last night so I have something to wear today? Did I remember to put petrol in the car? Did I charge my mobile phone? Crap I forgot to brush my teeth! I must remember to return that electrical appliance I bought before the return cut-off date goes by. Arrgghhhh.... I'm so stupid when it comes to everyday stuff like this, and I always get caught out or spend time worrying I'm going to forget to do something (something that I can't remember at the moment!).

Ha, ha, I know exactly what you mean! Every morning I wake up and think: "Why do I have to go throught this whole tedious business of getting ready again? Every day, shower, brush teeth, shave, get dressed, eat breakfast, feed the pets - it's exhausting!"