• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Sensotard moments

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh I laugh at myself on a daily basis for the things I do.

Once when I was a teenager I was helping a friend visiting the area with their bags. We were walking past Central Park and I trip over a bench. As I get up and walk away, I'm looking over my shoulder wondering where that bench came from and walked head first into the side of bleachers that were being set up for a parade. :cool:

I'm a walking disaster waiting to happen at any moment.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Last week... I got on the wrong bus. Had to walk 10 blocks to catch a transfer... 45 minutes down the drain because I misread the bus number cause I was in a hurry. :doh:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Numbers - I just don't "see" them.

A cyberfriend sent me a note with only her phone number on it one day and later I wrote and asked her when she was going to send me her number. :doh:

Lately I've noticed that I memorize phone numbers by the pattern they make on the buttons.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Really? I memorize them by sound. o_O

Beep Boop Bop Boop Beep Bop Beep = My old home #

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Today I ran out of soap while having a shower. Instead of simply stepping out of the shower to get a new bar, I decided to reach into the cupboard and fumble blindly for the soap packet. The inevitable happened of course - I slipped and fell over, sending all the shampoo bottles flying. Luckily, I escaped with just a few bruises and scrapes - it could have been really nasty!

moonbaby

I have a very classic taste (Audry Hepburnish) in clothing. I tend to purchase things in multiples (black/navy/brown etc).

I cant tell you how many times I have gone to work with a black clothing theme and navy tights under my skirt, or the same with shoes...black when they should be navy.

I have even had a black and a navy shoe on at the same time.............. **sigh**

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I do that too. I buy something I like in three or four different colours and each colour in two sizes for when I'm fatter and when I'm thinner. Sorted.

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
I was standing on the drive way with my friend. I was wearing fairly new sunglasses. He says "Nice sticker!"
I had no clue what he meant.....until he pointed to my glasses.
I had been wearing them with the manufacturer sticker still on the lens.

I get hung up on things that need done twice...I have shaved one leg in the shower, put only one pony tail in, thinking I had two...

I have put my clothes on backwards and inside out...and not noticed until I took them off. When I go to the gym I often get more of a workout from running to and from the car...once failed to wear my shoes in. I once almost left the locker room without my shorts on.

I am always having someone say "Ma'am...you dropped something."
I NEVER realize I had dropped anything when this happens.

Oh I laugh at myself on a daily basis for the things I do.

Once when I was a teenager I was helping a friend visiting the area with their bags. We were walking past Central Park and I trip over a bench. As I get up and walk away, I'm looking over my shoulder wondering where that bench came from and walked head first into the side of bleachers that were being set up for a parade. :cool:

I'm a walking disaster waiting to happen at any moment.

Ah yes...the dreaded thing in the way...that you are pretty sure wasn't there before.
I also am mortal enemies with door frames...I often ...miss and walk onto the door frame instead of the door. I concluded it was shifted just as I put foot over thresh hold.
I would investigate further but I nearly knock myself out sometimes and then I totally forget.

Last edited:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I do that too. I buy something I like in three or four different colours and each colour in two sizes for when I'm fatter and when I'm thinner. Sorted.

I'll bet the reason for sensotard moments are different for ISTJs, Bella, than they are for INFPs.

You buy two of everything to be practical. We buy two of everything so that hopefully we can find one of them! :newwink:

My ISTJ had a sensotard moment when he was teaching college. He came home for lunch one day in puzzlement.

"Craziest class. Every time I turned around to write on the board they all started laughing. Couldn't think of what I was doing which was so funny."

As he left to go back to work I glanced up to see he had an athletic sock stuck to the back of his sweater.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
When I lived in SF, my boyfriend (now husband) and I would drive around a long time for a parking space. One day we saw a guy getting into his car so we waited for him to leave. But he didn't. We were so convinced it would be any minute we sat chatting, then started reading the paper. When he finally pulled out, we were startled to realize an hour had gone by.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm rather clumsy physically. My SO thinks I need hocky gear to keep my elbows, knees and head from getting whacked. When I am working on something mechanical I will sometimes leave an important element out of the equation. One time I was spray painting in the basement for a few seconds before remembering the the pilot light on the furnace. I hate that I forget important elements in my surrounding because being good at surviving is important to me.

I also live in constant fear of forgetting important things. I have so many part-time jobs right now that all have separate paperwork requirements in order to get paid. So many names, appointments, etc. I write things down on lists because it causes me so much anxiety to remember that sort of thing. When I get distracted inside my head there is little hope of remembering anything including eating sometimes. I am trying to develop more body awareness because I also let things get out of hand and end up with muscle tension and headaches that probably could be avoided if my body awareness was greater so I would remember to drink water, take deep breaths, eat regularly, etc.

I admire Sensors who can live in the moment and appreciate the sensation and meaning right now. I also admire those who are practical, efficient, and consistent. It is also encouraging to interact with people who have enough level-headedness to not end up with bizarre conclusions about other people or the world in general.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That pilot light thing is dangerous, toonia. My husband once forgot and, also while spray painting, had a little explosion which left him looking like a cartoon character right after a firecracker goes off.

Very uncharacteristic for him a he's usually so methodical.

In retrospect it's funny but at the time it was very frighteneing.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I see you're still here and I want to comment on your last paragraph in post #271. I see that with my husband and sometimes he thinks my conclusions about issues are bizarre.

But counterbalanced with that I think he makes judgemnts on people based on their affiliations!

Edit: Or possibly even the kind of car they drive!

kaboom

MBTI Type
INTP
Extra special moment today...rolled up the window in the car...moved my head to the right shortly after...hair had been caught in the window.
Long hair...but still...

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'll bet the reason for sensotard moments are different for ISTJs, Bella, than they are for INFPs.

You buy two of everything to be practical. We buy two of everything so that hopefully we can find one of them! :newwink:

My ISTJ had a sensotard moment when he was teaching college. He came home for lunch one day in puzzlement.

"Craziest class. Every time I turned around to write on the board they all started laughing. Couldn't think of what I was doing which was so funny."

As he left to go back to work I glanced up to see he had an athletic sock stuck to the back of his sweater.

What did he teach, Anja? Does he still teach?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ENTP partner had a classic sensotard moment yesterday evening. We're off on our hols to Peru tomorrow, but he couldn't find our brand new expensive digital camera. We turned the house over for two hours in a futile search for the damn thing. The search was made much, much harder by the fact that we still have boxes of his Mum's stuff stacked up everywhere after she moved into a rest home.

Halfway through we both started to lose it: he accused me of making all the mess and added that it was probably me who misplaced the camera in the first place. I pointed out (rather loudly) that I had never even touched the camera since we bought it!

Eventually, he approached me wearing a very sheepish grin, holding the camera in his hand. He had found it in the drawer where it was supposed to be in the first place. Apparently he had turned the drawer over three times without finding the camera - only on the fourth attempt did it pop out of the hyperspace anomaly where it had been hiding.

"Now" he said "all we have to do is find the charger for the camera........."

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I kept trying to drive my car with the engine not turned on this weekend. And then I was trying to drive it when it was in neutral.... I do this a lot, actually.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
All of the little things... Mainly setting something down and in 5 seconds I need it and take 30 seconds to find it. Might be my messiness.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm rather clumsy physically. My SO thinks I need hocky gear to keep my elbows, knees and head from getting whacked. When I am working on something mechanical I will sometimes leave an important element out of the equation. One time I was spray painting in the basement for a few seconds before remembering the the pilot light on the furnace. I hate that I forget important elements in my surrounding because being good at surviving is important to me.

I also live in constant fear of forgetting important things. I have so many part-time jobs right now that all have separate paperwork requirements in order to get paid. So many names, appointments, etc. I write things down on lists because it causes me so much anxiety to remember that sort of thing. When I get distracted inside my head there is little hope of remembering anything including eating sometimes. I am trying to develop more body awareness because I also let things get out of hand and end up with muscle tension and headaches that probably could be avoided if my body awareness was greater so I would remember to drink water, take deep breaths, eat regularly, etc.

I admire Sensors who can live in the moment and appreciate the sensation and meaning right now. I also admire those who are practical, efficient, and consistent. It is also encouraging to interact with people who have enough level-headedness to not end up with bizarre conclusions about other people or the world in general.

Everything you've said here could also apply to me. Although I only have one job (forensic scientist), I can be working on many different cases at once - all with their own paperwork, names, details etc. The only way I can cope is to use an Excel spreadsheet system I devised to manage all my casework, keep track of court dates and enter the results of my analysis for future reference. No-one else in my group uses a similar system, yet they all seem to have no problem coping with the massive amount of detail our job entails.

(With one exception: a person who I'd guess is an Extraverted Intuitive type of some sort - who is an excellent scientist, but takes on so many responsibilities that attention to detail can be a real problem for this person.)

In contrast, I actually get praised for the accuracy of my detail work, which goes a long way to making me feel better about all the effort this requires from my poor, overused Sensing function. :violin:

Hey, maybe we should start a thread about the effects of abusing/overusing one's type functions?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I lose stuff all the time. I buy sunglasses three pairs at a time.