User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    xNTJ

Yeah, I get that, too. Mine is always in a humanities subject context.

What's funny is that I do this to my husband. I have no patience, while my husband is very patient. I'll hand him off computer issues or puzzle issues when I've lost patience with it. (Except I don't say "Do this, you're smart." I say "You built the fucking network. Please fix it before I throw my laptop through the wall, because this is pissing me off.")
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have one question for NTs.

How often does it happen to you that others give you something to figure it out.

Or do things like this happen to you.
    I am in the group and everybody needs to have a role.
    Then one guy says "He(me) will do the strategy and planning!"
    And the the others then say things like : Of course, who else could be good for the job,nobody. , I fully agree. They even say things like "I think we are going to win this one". The entire thing is arranged in only few seconds and every tme it happens I am like WTF.
    I guess I am not too aware of my social image.

So, how everybody else take this? (I am sure it happens)

We all have roles to play in this society. I am always the "spokesman", "negotiator", "problem solver" and things along those lines. I also provide structure (tell people what to do) even if I don't do it openly (it comes in the forms of questions). As a college student, I often work in group, and i'm usually more equal than the others since I come up with the ideas, the know-how and I am usually the main speaker if we present our efforts in front of the rest of the teacher students.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

I typically flourish into crowds with other NTs without really realizing it. As a result the smart-guy responsibility doesn't fall on me as often as it does to others. I like it better that way, because then I can just be the creative input and will have less chance of being wrong!

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I took offense for being regularly introduced as "a computer genius" in my early adult years. What a narrow label. I was all-around genius, not just computer type :steam:

More recently, people always waited for my initiative in teamwork exercises and pushed me to present our team's results.

Oh and yeah, I was always being asked to illustrate all the group projects in our school when I was a kid.

So from what I remember, 2 out of 3, I've liked for having a role '

Oh and antisocial, I've got a wicked smart, humble INTJ friend - both smarter and more humble than me. In some circles, he's always the one being pointed out as "the smart one"; I've wondered why, as none of the problems presented specifically require his level of intelligence; but then, I already "fill" one role in their eyes, while he's so introverted (AND shy on top of that) he doesn't HAVE another role in that group, and some people are just dieing to "typecast" others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What I find suprising is how people become submissive when they want me to create some strategy.(I am talking about games here)

The people were doing exactly what I have said and they don't doubt and they think that team is going to win the game just because I am creating strategy. Let say that I and other person have not seen each other for 6 months and yet he takes orders with no problem at all. His plan was to live everything to me and blindly follow my ideas.
    This behaviour is not totally foreign to me and there is noway that I will understand it fully one day.

Also I need alot of time to expalin that things will not turn out fine just because I am doing the thinking.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What I find suprising is how people become submissive when they want me to create some strategy.(I am talking about games here)

The people were doing exactly what I have said and they don't doubt and they think that team is going to win the game just because I am creating strategy. Let say that I and other person have not seen each other for 6 months and yet he takes orders with no problem at all. His plan was to live everything to me and blindly follow my ideas.
    This behaviour is not totally foreign to me and there is noway that I will understand it fully one day.

Also I need alot of time to expalin that things will not turn out fine just because I am doing the thinking.
    Well, I guess submissiveness is a good strategy to win as much as possible with a superior player in some cases. The one being promoted as "superior" is usually given a greater share of the wealth, whether social or tangible. But then again, they're more likely to share the wealth with a co-operating player.

I guess you're not experiencing purely rational behavior tho. Probably some image play involved - if you're as distant as you've described, you might twist the idea of "you" in some unwanted, and perhaps unrealistic direction. People tend to do bad pattern recognition with little data to use. Probably you're smart, but just as probably it won't make the leader-follower-model the best co-operation method for most purposes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    nnnn

I always have to figure out how to divide the check up when I go to dinner with a bunch of people, etc.
    Guilty...I always discreetly shove the bill my ISTJ or INFJ friend's way.

MBTI
    ENFP

That used to be my image back in middle school. Now people think I'm dumb so they never ask me for answers or anything. They actually laugh if someone is like, "Oh, ask her!"

Only a few know how intelligent I really am. Although it's a little insulting, it's kind of like an interesting little secret. I don't really see how people buy it. Sure I may act silly, but don't you realize I'm in the same AP class as you? Getting better grades?

Ah well, all that aside, I do think everything done in school or basically anything with (imaginary) "problem-solving" is incredibly pointless. I want to solve REAL things. Like people... Heh.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Everyone in RL thinks I am dumber than dirt, I prefer it that way.
    That's what my classmates thought at first. I have a spacey disposition, I'm crap at small talk and... uh, talk of any kind.

During presentations though, my brain involuntarily engages some weird part of it that I'm not consciously aware of and I can (notice the uncharacteristic lack of modesty ) give a bombshell presentation.

The first presentation I made in class, it was like a Hallmark moment as the classmates all stared at me mouths agape.

Now, anytime there's a group project that involves a presentation (we have a lot of those in my major), they all clamber to have me join their group and be the group speaker**.

Sometimes, I'm rather tempted to tell them to eff off.
    Last edited by Dali; 09-19-2008 at 11:59 AM.