• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Help me type my boss?

heath353

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So, I started a new job, and I'm trying to get along better with my boss. I am not the most emotionally/socially aware person, so I figured MBTI typing was the best place to start (you know, to use that rationality I like so much as a T). I was hoping that some people that know the types better could help me out.

I KNOW he's extroverted, and he is very charming and charismatic and witty. But, he can be pretty obtuse to people's feelings (harsh with criticism, not mincing words, not always the most diplomatic with his subordinates). So I am also comfortable saying T. If you're keeping track, we have E_T_

He is also very authoritarian and does not stand for his subordinates challenging his vision/ideas. So although I am relatively comfortable saying ENTJ based on these traits and this description: (ENTJ in the Workplace

| 16Personalities
), I am struggling with the P/J trait because he can be very spontaneous and jump from idea to idea, but also he likes meetings to be structured and dislikes when they veer offtrack. Additionally, he looks over every assignment with a fine-tooth comb, which I assume is out of line with ENTJ.

So, if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated!

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like your archetypal ESTJ boss.
How is he like with details? How does he behave like when he gets stressed out?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I started a new job, and I'm trying to get along better with my boss. I am not the most emotionally/socially aware person, so I figured MBTI typing was the best place to start (you know, to use that rationality I like so much as a T). I was hoping that some people that know the types better could help me out.

I KNOW he's extroverted, and he is very charming and charismatic and witty. But, he can be pretty obtuse to people's feelings (harsh with criticism, not mincing words, not always the most diplomatic with his subordinates). So I am also comfortable saying T. If you're keeping track, we have E_T_

He is also very authoritarian and does not stand for his subordinates challenging his vision/ideas. So although I am relatively comfortable saying ENTJ based on these traits and this description: (ENTJ in the Workplace

| 16Personalities
), I am struggling with the P/J trait because he can be very spontaneous and jump from idea to idea, but also he likes meetings to be structured and dislikes when they veer offtrack. Additionally, he looks over every assignment with a fine-tooth comb, which I assume is out of line with ENTJ.

So, if anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated!

I would go with ENTJ actually.

messijo

MBTI Type
entp
ESTJ.

Edited to add: any conflict you are having (I assume since you are asking how to get on better with the boss) is the E/I dilemma.

"His vision/ideas" - are they 'Visionary' or fairly mundane? (Something you wouldn't have thought of in a million years, or more like We should print these on the blue paper from now on, because xyz)

Dolce vita

MBTI Type
INFJ
Most bosses are ENTJ or INTJ in my industry. Technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sculpting

does he argue you when you challenge him and try to debate merits (EXTJ) or does he get pissy and offended when you challenge him (EXFP)?

There are many a TJ bosses in the world who think they are right, but I have found they are actually pretty awesome because if you challenge them with data, they listen and respect you for it.

On the other hand, there are many FP bosses who act very TJ-thus look like thinkers at first- but are totally insecure and cant handle being challenged and become defensive. These guys are a pain in the ass, as they can be very charismatic and visionary, but if you tell them about flaws in their idea they take it personally and then will even attack you over it. They simply cant handle others having a better or different idea than they do. Because these guys are so self-centric, but trying to be "tough" they will be quite oblivious to the feelings and impact their actions have on others. Ive even seen them tear down their direct reports to make themselves feel more superior. Its not very nice at all.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
One thing to remember is that people's work selves are different from their selves in private. You must take care to type him, and not his job description.