• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I'm living life from a third person perspective

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel as if I'm living life from a third person perspective. Not literally of course, but that statement is the closest to the feeling i could get. Does this resonate with anyone else? Does anyone else feel similarly?

I think it has to do with the way Ni makes me look at the world.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's an INTP thing, i've heard. Or maybe NT, i've experienced it a few times, and if i've done something important I always think of it in a very detached manner.

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Been there, done that. But usually that level of detachment for me comes with mild depression.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes I do and I enjoy it because it fosters insight, but other times I wonder if it's a result of me retreating from my experience and taking shelter in my mind. Over time, that can leave me feeling very hollow, so I try and maintain some balance.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I sway in and out of it. Don't see it as a bad thing. I've had some of my best business venture ideas when in a detached state...great for insight, creativity, and perspective.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It happens to me when I do not get enough real-world action (last time I got it was after a 3-day-session of study for my last exam of my BS). It's a strange feeling I deeply dislike, and I tend to associate it with depression.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The depression part might explain a few things, since the ENTJ shadow type is INTP, and this trait is usually assosciated with them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The depression part might explain a few things, since the ENTJ shadow type is INTP, and this trait is usually assosciated with them.

ENTJs shadow type is ISFP according to normal MBTI.

If you use Beebe's definition of the shadow, you'd get ESFJ as the shadow. In Beebe's system, the Ti and Ne functions would be the 5th and 6th shadow processes (respectively) for an ENTJ, but the actual "shadow type" would not be INTP.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
that must be so cool... like a video game

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Everyone always tells me to stop observing and join life. Its typical with Enneagram 5s, too.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It happens to me when I do not get enough real-world action (last time I got it was after a 3-day-session of study for my last exam of my BS). It's a strange feeling I deeply dislike, and I tend to associate it with depression.

ya, same here, it happens to me frequently ... feels like a mild depression. Whenever I get out and go somewhere, or do something moderately intense with other people around (preferably people who aren't depressing or stressing to be around), it goes away. I think it's like atrophy of the senses.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I often get locked into some mental exploit like net-heading, reading, or fantasizing, and forget the real world exists, but I don't think I ever feel as if I'm a character in my own life. I am my mind, first person all the way.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
I often get locked into some mental exploit like net-heading, reading, or fantasizing, and forget the real world exists, but I don't think I ever feel as if I'm a character in my own life. I am my mind, first person all the way.

There's two ways to take it really. There's the way people mean it when they say that I'm observing, which just means I'm being too passive and then there's the other, disassociated feeling. When I'm really really tired or really really stressed or depressed I'll get that too. You know you're not obviously, but its a very strange detached from the world feeling.

Depersonalization disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
It happens when you feel depressed. It's like you're watching the movie of your own life, and you have no control over what happens.
Maybe you could try to check the root of that.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'd agree with many of the others here.
This mindset is most often associated with depression or social anxiety.

Lexlike

MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd agree with many of the others here.
This mindset is most often associated with depression or social anxiety.

I guess its true, but aren´t INxx types prone of depression??

Royal Xavier

MBTI Type
INXP
Sometimes I try to look at things from a third-person perspective if I'm in an unpleasant or stressful situation that I don't want to experience...

By the way, shouldn't this thread be called, "He's living life from a third person perspective"?
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

redacted

Yeah, I definitely get the whole third person perspective thing. The more depressed I get, the more detached I get. It makes sense as a coping strategy, especially for people that had a childhood where they didn't feel safe. But now it's not a good strategy anymore, and we all have to learn to work on it...