User Tag List

First 234

Banned

Our mammalian neural programming has been growing more complex. Not only has cranial capacity been increasing, but it seems that even the degree of crosstalk between the two hemispheres has been increasing. The so-called "bicameral mind" may be scientifically controversial, but if humans 2,000 or 3,000 years ago did have less communication between the hemispheres, it is possible that their sense of self -- a single, fully intact sense of self -- was comparatively weak and they heard voices coming from within. Today's schizophrenics, or more technically multiple-personality disorders, may have similar characteristics. The sense of self -- the awareness of oneself -- is a complex phenomenon that evolved slowly. But it can be argued that to perceive the world in a logically coherent manner you need to possess logically coherent senses.

A sense of self, regardless of baser mammalian programming, would be a necessary condition to make scientific progress. A sense of detachment brought about by hallucinogens may be fascinating, but to the extent that these mental states interfere with our ability to function logically, the sense of detachment would be counterproductive. If hallucinogens can induce various mental states, it shows that we are electrochemical systems, but more importantly, it shows that such states are possible, but not 'normal'. Evolution has rooted out these states, which may once have been the norm! Evolution is moving us forward in a direction that is leading to greater intellectual capacity. Rather than reprogram ourselves by interfering with processes we do not understand, we could let evolution continue to move us forward through processes that have been highly successful to date.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I don't really know if I have ever felt like that, but sometimes I feel as though I'm not fully present, well..it's hard to explain, but that sometimes I am not fully self-aware of the present..
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fuent View Post
    I feel as if I'm living life from a third person perspective. Not literally of course, but that statement is the closest to the feeling i could get. Does this resonate with anyone else?
    Funny that you mention that, I've often described my mind as a camera in the top corner of a room that looks at my body below it - as servent to the almighty brain.

MBTI
    PINT

In a way.. not like other people are trying to guess, really. My body can go through the motions while I'm off doing my own thing in my head, but I'm still controlling my body and I know that. For repetitive actions I let my body take care of it though. For example, while you're walking you don't really think about walking, you just do it. You can easily multitask and talk or observe your surroundings and you forget about walking. That 'third person' feeling for me comes in when I let my body do too much for me. I nod along and mutter "yeah" during conversations too, but I don't focus on them. I might grab something they said or I saw and see where that takes me, or I might sit there and do nothing. I don't think it's really a disorder or necessarily a sign of depression.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    There's two ways to take it really. There's the way people mean it when they say that I'm observing, which just means I'm being too passive and then there's the other, disassociated feeling. When I'm really really tired or really really stressed or depressed I'll get that too. You know you're not obviously, but its a very strange detached from the world feeling.

Depersonalization disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think there is a difference between Depersonalization and the feeling that I think we're talking about here. It isn't (at least for me) so much as being in a 'dream' or state of denial, where it feels 'unreal', but more of a distancing of yourself from what is going on around you. I have had times where this went on for weeks, and it was usually when I was working through something in my head on a very deep level. Its kind of like driving somewhere and not really remembering stopping at red-lights, using turning signals or even really thinking of where you are going. I kind of go on auto-pilot, do the external things that need to be done with as little effort as possible because so much of me is dedicated to what is going on in my head.

Interestingly, I'm very good when I'm in this state. On the outside I still appear pretty normal, albiet maybe a bit quieter than normal.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    Funny that you mention that, I've often described my mind as a camera in the top corner of a room that looks at my body below it - as servent to the almighty brain.
    My body is my mind's bitch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

INTP... I think not.

I understand this. Sometimes I feel like I'm observing people I know as if I'm reading a book. Consequently, if I'm reading a book, I feel like the characters, if well-developed, are people I know. I have often thought about channelling this into actually writing, but in some cases I'm afraid to confront sadness in the past.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fuent View Post
    I feel as if I'm living life from a third person perspective. Not literally of course, but that statement is the closest to the feeling i could get. Does this resonate with anyone else? Does anyone else feel similarly?

I think it has to do with the way Ni makes me look at the world.
    Hm... according to zen, you live from a third person perspective even if you do something as simple as seeing yourself as "I" or your name.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've felt like this intense detachment myself. Usually I got into argument alot with friends and I always seemed to find logical answers to win, I thought It was my shadow ESTP popping cause of the depression. But maybe It was something else...?
    Anyway. It really felt unworldy being in this state, I felt like an alien.

MBTI
    INTx

Sounds quite normal to me. Unless something particularly draws me in so that I am in the first person.
    You what?