• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Dealing with OCD

Princess Bubblegum

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I have been recently diagnosed with OCD, although I have been showing symptoms for quite some time. I was wondering how other NT types, who have or had OCD, deal with it, or possibly get rid of it entirely?

I compulsively check certain places around my room before going to bed. I also occasionally have thoughts that do not go away and cause anxiety.

I have been seeing a therapist and am making progress :) !

I'm just interested to hear from others, because having OCD is a chore. :/

messijo

MBTI Type
entp
I haven't been officially diagnosed with OCD, or even meet the official criteria, but can certainly identify with the obsessive thinking and inability to push thoughts out (I am diagnosed with anxiety and medicated for that, however). In the past I've been consumed with the idea that I had done something terrible on the drive* home from work (with no evidence) even driven back to the location to look, and there was nothing (but "what if it's just been cleared already"..)

My answer to the compulsively checking is: to have a "checklist" for everything, mine is a silly song (but it doesn't have to be exactly that, of course) when you go to bed or leave the house etc to go through the "checklist" - taps (faucets if you're in the States!) off, extension leads switches off, oven off, windows closed, front door locked, etc etc. What are you concretely worried over, list out those things (Ti) and make it the basis of a more benign routine. You have to acknowledge that these things worry you and not just "block them out"

In my case I have particular anxiety with overtaking a cyclist while driving. So I have a silly-song-checklist for that, "looked ahead, gone past them, looked in mirror, seen they are still cycling!! Yay :)" etc.

Agree with yourself to give in to "checking" exactly once and trust yourself to have done it once you have given in and checked. ("Giving in" isn't failure or anything - just recognition of an outside force..!)

Trust in your ability to detect quickly (Ne) if anything is "odd".

Ultimately mine didn't get significantly better until being on anxiety meds, but that was because they finally gave me the space to sit back and analyse. If I had had that perspective initially (which it sounds like you do) I could have done that to begin with!

* The irony with the anxiety meds is they have a caution, "driving reactions may be impaired"; my feeling is I'm a far better driver once on meds, than before!

Princess Bubblegum

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
[MENTION=28168]messijo[/MENTION]

Thank you for the advice and sharing :).

I like the song idea!
I have done checklists, and I am slowly weaning my way off of them. I had about 10 things I checked before going to bed, and now it has gone down to 2. These last two seem to be the hardest for some reason. I need to work on checking exactly once. Sometimes my brain gets all muddled, and I check the same 2 things over 2 to 3 times. (I second guess myself; I will believe I did not see something correctly.)

Regardless, that the checking has gone down, I still get compulsive thoughts that have nothing to do with the checking. Either something triggers it at school or in town, and I will obsessively think about a certain thing throughout the day. It gets to the point where my entire day is just me rationalizing with myself on how dumb the thought is. Although no matter how long I do this the anxiety stays. I wish I knew of a way to deal with this part of the problem. :/

I'm happy that the medication worked for you! I thought about being put on medication, but I want to give it my all before considering that. ( I react to medications weird :V )

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Kill that guy who earns Dollars diagnosing you