User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Ah. With me it seems to be more that someone is talking and I throw out a joke like, what if, or wouldn't it be funny, or do you think people could....Even if it has nothing to do with them directly.

That's when I get the look. I tend to think they just realized themselves, that yes X is possible. Or, they just realized that I realized X is possible. Or maybe I just lost them. Then it throws me off too, because I didn't expect them to be shocked or take something I said in and relate it to either themselves or me.

Then again, I think like this all the time, so have had to learn discernment in relating these perspectives to other people.

Maybe I just need to keep busier, lol.
    Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I tend to do that a lot; I think the people I know are used to it, though, because they usually just roll with it and try to see where I'm going with it. The best conversations tend to start like that . What kind of things do you usually end up saying?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It definitely doesn't scare anyone. My Ni has that typical crackpottery feel which was well described by Jung - nobody ever believes what I say, even when I'm very very likely to be correct. My Te, on the other hand, can be quite scary.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Have you ever been sitting in a conversation with someone who may spit out something insignificant. But instantly you detatch from the conversation and begin to explore the possible senerios that this sort of comment could come from. Then you say something related to, I dont know, eight degrees of seperation down the original statement but it has nothing to do with them.

Thats when you get the look from the other person. Like you have just seen them naked. And when you see the look, now you know. And they know you know.

If this happens to you a lot, how do you learn to not see? It is very awkward.

I know this may seem redundant to another thread I had started but I have been thinking about it more extensively and I realize that it freaks people out.
    It's so disappointing when this happens - because when I say these "off the wall" (to them, at least) things, I want a bouncy, stimulating discussion and to dig into things a little deeper. But people prefer to stick to the literal topic, or at least relate it in a way that's traceable to them. Otherwise, you get that awkward silence, the raised brow and the "um...ok?" (alternatively: "okayyy...")

Worse, I'm blonde (no, that's not me in the avatar), so people are quick to dismiss it as vapid airheadedness, even if my N leaps are based on solid intent and logic. The worst is when people say how "cute" you are for saying these things. It makes me want to:

Even when I was a little kid (under 8), my ESFP mother yelled at me and called me weird for saying "off the wall" things and went on a long rant about how abnormal I was.

So I learned to contain myself. I think it's why I thought of myself as an S for a while. I sort of force myself to hide my N in polite company.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Guess View Post
    Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I tend to do that a lot; I think the people I know are used to it, though, because they usually just roll with it and try to see where I'm going with it. The best conversations tend to start like that . What kind of things do you usually end up saying?
    Lol, I have been trying to think of an example since I read this, and cannot for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    It's so disappointing when this happens - because when I say these "off the wall" (to them, at least) things, I want a bouncy, stimulating discussion and to dig into things a little deeper. But people prefer to stick to the literal topic, or at least relate it in a way that's traceable to them.

Even when I was a little kid (under 8), my ESFP mother yelled at me and called me weird for saying "off the wall" things and went on a long rant about how abnormal I was.

So I learned to contain myself. I think it's why I thought of myself as an S for a while. I sort of force myself to hide my N in polite company.
    Yeah it is kind of hard to contain yourself when you don't really understand what the problem was in the first place.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Lol, I have been trying to think of an example since I read this, and cannot for some reason.

Yeah it is kind of hard to contain yourself when you don't really understand what the problem was in the first place.
    True. But just as you can never tell which hardboiled egg will crack, you can prevent them from ever cracking by never boiling them.

Unfortunately, for people, cracking them does not open them up. It just makes a mess.

sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

ThatGirl

I smell Fe.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I smell Fe.
    Duh! My type's right there, woman.

That's like saying you smell curry at an Indian restaurant.

And I see Fe as a necessary evil.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

ThatGirl

I actually have everyone's types turned off.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I actually have everyone's types turned off.
    I read that 2 ways, which one did you mean?
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

ThatGirl

I literally set my account to not show people's types.