• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Questions For Ts

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Excellent post I think you captured it perfectly. Logic is always in the background influencing every action. If I feel something strongly like that I'll override the internal reasoning thats going on and react in as controlled a manner as I can.

AHA! YES! THAT is what I was getting at! That is what I wanted to know.

I wanted to know how far that goes though. For instance, say something in your moral code isn't necessarily logical but in your opinion it's moral...things like that happen for you?

redacted

Does everything go through the filter of logic for you? Or just most things?

For instance, being humane...if you consider yourself to be humane are you humane for the sake of being humane or because in your mind it's the most logical way to be or both?

For me, an F, I consider myself humane because it's the most logical way to be. I gain most from people around me when I have consistent behavior -- this allows people to trust me and gives me slack to fall back on. If I was not humane, I'd be ostracized, and would not gain as much from those around me.

Do you ever do things without thinking about/caring about whether or not it's logical?

Well, yes. But never consciously. If I'm making any sort of conscious decision, I cannot and will not factor out logic.

Do you consider people's feelings because in your mind it's logical or just because you don't want to hurt them?

I don't want to hurt them. But it is logical as well -- if people feel comfortable around me, they'll do more for me. If their feelings are hurt, they're less likely to stay calm and collected, and they might project some of their hurt onto me, which I like to avoid.

Also, I personally feel worse when I watch someone else get their feelings hurt, so it would be logical for me to avoid my own hurt by protecting the feelings of others.

Fe and Ti actually work perfectly well together.

(Sorry, I'm not a T, but I hope I provided insight anyway.)

For instance, say something in your moral code isn't necessarily logical but in your opinion it's moral...things like that happen for you?

I personally have nothing in my moral code that is logically inconsistent, to the best of my knowledge. If it is brought to my attention that there is a logical flaw, I will either throw out that moral code or come up with some necessary change to make it consistent.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like buying a car? I went through this last January so I still remember most of it-

Very logical progression, using prior experience with specifying technical design/etc. like I do at work.

1. What are my needs?
1a. All-wheel-drive for accelerative traction
1b. Roomy enough to hold my fat-ass
1c. Roomy enough to hold my friends
1d. Price brand new <$24K
2. Prioritize those needs
2a. Price brand new <$24K
2b. Roomy enough to hold my fat ass
2c. AWD
2d. Roomy enough to hold my friends
3. Reliability?
3a. Prior experience tells me Japanese vehicles usually have great track records.
4. Brand?
4a. Subaru. Cheap AWD, Japanese, and a buddy of mine swears by him (well, his parents do, but him by extension). Here I'm diverging from logic a tad and going by word-of-mouth alone.
5. Line up financing and find the best deal
5a. Line up financing. I shuffled money around and applied for one of those "blank check" type of online auto financing things.
5b. Locate local dealerships. I used edmunds.com to field a bunch of request-for-quotes for all the nearby Subaru dealerships.
5c. Test drive different Subaru models, evaluate specific features and perform non-linear shoot-from-the-hip logic. This is where everything turns blurry and I logically evaluate the different featuresets--presence of limited-slip differential, hill holder features, rough "feel" for the acceleration (determined by test driving), feel of the vehicle's handling (determined by test driving), etc.
6. Select ideal model and narrow the search.
6a. Subaru Forester has the ideal set of features and at the right price. Found a dealership in Leesport, PA that was practically throwing a brand new one at me (knocked the price down a lot without me even asking; the dude was extremely straightforward with everything, no bullshit, honestly I think I was dealing with an INTJ or maybe ISTJ there [based on other factors I observed during the purchasing process]... he was cool.)
7. Execute the purchase
7a. Arranged the time to test drive & purchase, dressed nicely, put together a binder with damned near everything I could possibly ever need with me--full breakout of all Subaru models & full specifications, price quotes from all the local dealerships, a full copy of my credit report, printout of all available incentives, map to all the local dealerships (in case this one didn't pan out I'd know how to get to the next one), title information for my current car, kelley blue book printout for my current car, etc.

Oh wow that's long. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, an F, I consider myself humane because it's the most logical way to be. I gain most from people around me when I have consistent behavior -- this allows people to trust me and gives me slack to fall back on. If I was not humane, I'd be ostracized, and would not gain as much from those around me.

Well, yes. But never consciously. If I'm making any sort of conscious decision, I cannot and will not factor out logic.

I don't want to hurt them. But it is logical as well -- if people feel comfortable around me, they'll do more for me. If their feelings are hurt, they're less likely to stay calm and collected, and they might project some of their hurt onto me, which I like to avoid.

Also, I personally feel worse when I watch someone else get their feelings hurt, so it would be logical for me to avoid my own hurt by protecting the feelings of others.

Fe and Ti actually work perfectly well together.

(Sorry, I'm not a T, but I hope I provided insight anyway.)

I personally have nothing in my moral code that is logically inconsistent, to the best of my knowledge. If it is brought to my attention that there is a logical flaw, I will either throw out that moral code or come up with some necessary change to make it consistent.

Yeah. I'm humane because in my mind it's logically the best way to be too.

OMGsh. Lol now I'm confusing myself...my humane-ness is based on T? Or no?

Oh and about the moral code...that's not exactly what I meant...agh apparently I'm not good at communicating what I mean...lol...okay let's see..umm....I guess I was just asking if there were cases in which decisions were made or beliefs were held not based on logic but based on other things.

redacted

OMGsh. Lol now I'm confusing myself...my humane-ness is based on T? Or no?

Every conscious decision is going to be a mix of Thinking and Feeling. Feeling motivates Thinking, Thinking labels and systematizes Feeling.

Oh and about the moral code...that's not exactly what I meant...agh apparently I'm not good at communicating what I mean...lol...okay let's see..umm....I guess I was just asking if there were cases in which decisions were made or beliefs were held not based on logic but based on other things.

I never make conscious decisions based on anything besides logic. But my premises have to come from somewhere besides logic, just like anyone else's.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Every conscious decision is going to be a mix of Thinking and Feeling. Feeling motivates Thinking, Thinking labels and systematizes Feeling.

I never make conscious decisions based on anything besides logic. But my premises have to come from somewhere besides logic, just like anyone else's.

Okay thanks. Things are much more clear in my head now.

Hmmm. I wonder if the way feelers and thinkers make descisions is actually more similar than it is different .

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm logical about feelings. If I want to be happy, and believe something would make me so, I will make said something a priority.

redacted

Hmmm. I wonder if the way feelers and thinkers make descisions is actually more similar than it is different .

Yes. It is much more similar than most people on this forum make it seem.

N, F, and S come up with premises. T does deductive logic to reach a conclusion. People without developed Thinking have the problem of having potentially inconsistent premises. People without developed Feeling have the problem of not factoring in enough value-based premises, making logical decisions, yes, but without thought of how it's going to affect how they feel.

It's all about finding a balance, as cliche as that sounds.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. It is much more similar than most people on this forum make it seem.

N, F, and S come up with premises. T does deductive logic to reach a conclusion. People without developed Thinking have the problem of having potentially inconsistent premises. People without developed Feeling have the problem of not factoring in enough value-based premises, making logical decisions, yes, but without thought of how it's going to affect how they feel.

It's all about finding a balance, as cliche as that sounds.

It's a cliche that I love. Balance <3

Oh wow so S and N are coming up with premises also?

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm logical about feelings. If I want to be happy, and believe something would make me so, I will make said something a priority.

I think you just released some serotonin in my brain.

redacted

It's a cliche that I love. Balance <3

Oh wow so S and N are coming up with premises also?

Well, yes. So T and F are by definition conscious. S and N are by definition unconscious. So the thoughts you are currently having come from S/N, the conscious assessment of those thoughts are T and F.

In order to get the most full premises, you must have well developed S, N, and F. T is necessary to filter out incompatible premises (and N, too, to some extent) and come to logical conclusions.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

For instance, being humane...if you consider yourself to be humane are you humane for the sake of being humane or because in your mind it's the most logical way to be or both?
Logic isn't a filter. It is a way of being. It is automatic.

The logic or illogic of something doesn't become an issue until/unless there is a reason to evaluate the logical approach versus a values- or tradition-based approach. In this case I would be humane if it seemed "right". Forced to evaluate or justify the "rightness" of the decision to be humane, I'd reach primarily for logical reasons. This is not because I think an F-based values approach is silly. It's because I would be on shaky ground explaining it primarily on a feeling basis, because that's not really my forte.

Do you consider people's feelings because in your mind it's logical or just because you don't want to hurt them?
Both? I also consider how they are prone to react and whether this is an improvement or worsening of the situation, or has no effect.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
A couple of years ago, I realized that I had made every big decision in my life based on logic. I really started to question if those were all the right decisions. I love my life, but would it have been somewho better if I had focused more on my feelings? Kind of a mid-life introspection.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Unless you're a bunny-killing psycho, I think being humane is just a natural state of being, no proceses involved.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Unless you're a bunny-killing psycho, I think being humane is just a natural state of being, no proceses involved.
That's a pretty big IF, Bella. Try looking at the big picture once in a while.