Thread: Ti/Te and Math

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Ti/Te and Math

I always hear that Ti types are good with math. Math is full of frameworks and principles, and some geniuses can use them to solve complex arithmetic in their heads in seconds.

Still, I wonder about whether the actual handling of numbers is Te. You may have good frameworks or principles with numbers, but does this help with complex algebraic formulas such quadratic equations, calculus, etc. Since that aspect of math is basically arranging external things (the visible figures before you), it seems more Te'ish. I guess having certain principles internally might help, but do any Ti types find difficulty with shuffling around the numbers and variables, and are Te types better at that stuff, and thus can just do the problem set before them, and not even need to internalize principles?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP

The smartest math genius I've ever known is an ISTJ. When I see him swatting over calculus I can't help but notice how his particular personality traits seem made for the job of math genius. he notices rules and follows them meticulously, doesn't make careless errors like many N's do (ever forgot to carry the one? he doesn't!!), and yes, that Te ability to organize things in front of you.

I can't say much about Ti and math because though I'm a Ti type, I've always hated math
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I can't say much about Ti and math because though I'm a Ti type, I've always hated math
    propably persons with Ti as the first process???
    btw i always liked math
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am mathematically inclined, and even as a young child I had always had an affinity for numbers as well as a deep respect/appreciation for the properties of, and patterns inherent to mathematics. Academically speaking, I have always done well in my math classes, and for what it is worth and perhaps to extrinsically demonstrate my mathematical ability, at the age of 16, I took A.P. calculus during my junior year of high school.

Geometry pwns algebra, imo, and I am very intrigued by set theory, Cantor rules!!!

I think my Te definitely acts as a contributing factor in my ability to reason logically.

I am, and have always been, a very visual mathematician. Personally, I've always found mathematical computation to be relatively easy but boring and tedious as hell, whereas I've found apprehension/comprehension of mathematical patterns and concepts to be quite stimulating/fascinating/fun.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    yupp

I haven't had math past algebra 2 I find algebra the easiest to understand followed by geometry. Of course even though I could pick up the rules fast and memorize formulas (all that I have forgotten since then) I was so careless that I still do poorly in math plus I fail at simple math.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Being artistically inclined, I'm probably therefore more geometry inclined. Although I have no clue about the formulas. All I care about is designing my roller coasters more efficiently and accurately.

I always failed algebra in college, partially because I didn't do the homework and partially because I'm not too good with numbers. Most of all, however, I didn't see the point of it.

Although to design the most awesome roller coasters, one need not be a math whiz -- poorly designed architectural structures are always fun to watch crumble!

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think Ns are more inclined to appreciate and be more apt at geometry than either arithmetic or algebra.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Being artistically inclined, I'm probably therefore more geometry inclined. Although I have no clue about the formulas. All I care about is designing my roller coasters more efficiently and accurately.

I always failed algebra in college, partially because I didn't do the homework and partially because I'm not too good with numbers. Most of all, however, I didn't see the point of it.

Although to design the most awesome roller coasters, one need not be a math whiz -- poorly designed architectural structures are always fun to watch crumble!
    My brother uses math to design stuff, and enjoys it. He loves math and he loves building. I'm the opposite, if I have to build something I can picture the finish product in my mind, and then hope it works. Of course I hate building things. And I also have problems deconstructing things in my mind so I don't know where to start just how I want it to look when done.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

I hesitate to think there is a difference between Te and Ti when doing math. Both of them are logical analyzers. They usually analyze different things, but in this case they will both be aimed at math. For this reason, I think they might enjoy math more than Fs. However, I think that Ni and Ne might prove to be the biggest help to coming up with new ideas in math or solving problems that you aren't really sure how to solve.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I've always been good with pure calculations - I was actually considered a bit of a freak in primary school - and later I became good at quick derivations and integrations. However, there have always been some mathematical concepts that didn't really sit right in my mind, so I have some holes here and there.
    Overall, I think that I'm pretty good at math. If I had cultivated my talent as a little child, I probably could be really good now. However, as an adolescent I've preferred more typical pastimes such as girls and sports.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp