wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Here's a couple of examples of understanding the proerties of numbers:

Which are divisible by 3, and what is a quick way to figure it out?

Which is divisible by 11?

And which process is used in knowing the shortcuts to figure them out?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    nnnn

Maths is a mystery to me. I am currently working in a hypermarket, filling the shelves and it is high school maths class all over. People give me one-action instructions, but they never explain the big picture or the general principles on which the system is built. With maths, I always felt like we were operating in a vacuum, that there was nothing to link the different types of maths together and that it was arbitrary. I couldn't find any kind of logic in maths. No doubt this simply means that I'm less gifted at figuring out the links on my own, but I do think that a different approach in teaching it might have worked better for me (e.g. explain how the symbolic language of maths works, don't just throw letters at me and make me do exercises)

I'm rather fascinated by it now and feel better equipped to tackle it, so I may try to teach it myself a little bit again. If I can do philosophy and linguistics I should be able to deal with maths.

I personally can handle mathematical logic pretty well, but I'm horrible at doing math.
    I think I might be like this as well. Maybe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i don't think you can conclude any causal relation between direction of thinking and overall math ability. it all gets so convoluted since all four functions are all interplaying at all points in time.

i, for one, scored consistently higher in math (i never got less than 95% on a math test in high school, and no one ever averaged as high in test scores as i did in any math/physics/compsci class) than any T, even those that ended up at caltech and MIT. it would seem that pure Te would be better than pure Ti; it would also seem that pure Ne would be better than pure Ni. it would also seem that NTs would be best. these assumptions are merely stereotypes. i had NTs asking me to help them cheat, etc.

yes, math ability is correlated to how well Thinking is used (and Intuition for problems that require more than pure deductive logic). but that doesn't necessarily mean Ts are better than Fs. it also doesn't mean Ns are better than Ss.

i don't like these threads.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    yes, math ability is correlated to how well Thinking is used (and Intuition for problems that require more than pure deductive logic). but that doesn't necessarily mean Ts are better than Fs. it also doesn't mean Ns are better than Ss.

i don't like these threads.
    MBTI is about preference rather than ability. I wouldn't say that T's are better than F's at math. However I would say that T's are more likely to choose a career that uses a lot of math (e.g. engineer) compared to F's.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Math... I tought it to myself for grade 11 and 12.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I think Ns are more inclined to appreciate and be more apt at geometry than either arithmetic or algebra.
    Eek, I always did poorly at Geometry and never made it through pre-Calc. I think the Ne actually hindered me because I hated having to do that 'step by step explain how A gets to B' thing. I think sometimes I would get it (and a lot of times I didn't) and it seemed unecessarily tedious. I never really got the point of parabolas. I honestly would space out for the first few months of class and then realize that I had no idea what was going on in class anymore. Didn't get it.

I'm very much a visual person in other areas, but to be visual and spatial in science and math is hard for me. I took AP Bio as a junior and got a passing score on the AP Bio exam, but so much of what I studied was completely foreign to me. Like 'showing the DNA' of plants. I'm also not that hot at drafting.

I also never realized how hands on science is. My math teacher said she wanted to be a scientist until college and they had to do so much manual stuff -- like make their own droppers and carry around a dessicator and keep the contents constantly in motion. She would get so frustrated because she couldn't make her droppers and she would end up throwing the dessicator against the wall (on 'accident' she said). She also burned herself a couple times. So she switched to math.

I always did better in algebra. It makes more sense and I actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm just too linear when it comes to math.

My arithematic is pretty good -- at least according to the brain video games I play. Also, I was super nerdy (I keeps it realz) in highschool and would do 'Brain Bowl' and I could calculate in my head those 'sales' and 'real life' math problems much faster than anyone on my team which was comprised of classic NT math nerds taking AP Calc II.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Everyone's looking for these generalities, and they'll never apply on a person-to-person level.

Unless you say something like "ENPs like to make connections as new data becomes available", which is just restating the definition of Ne.