User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ti/Te and Math

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I've met excellent math users among all of the T types. Overall Te and Ti seem to be different ways to achieve the same result.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Math was always one of my best classes, although I didn't particularly enjoy it. The only part I was bad at was brand-new approaches to questions - if I see any type of question once or twice, it's easy. When you're supposed to figure out new methods during the tests, it gets a lot harder. Thankfully that didn't happen often (and it's why I view math as a tool, not as an end in itself).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

my best friend is a strong INTP and he can work, nearly, all of the math problems he needs figuring out, in his head..he's really brilliant..

But I find with myself, I tend to be more skilled in History, Literature, and some sciences..not so much the practical mathematics.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't know how much function or type has to do with this. I think it has more to do with types of intelligence. For me, math has always seemed like common sense. Where other people have to study and work through examples to understand the material, I usually just 'get it'.

I'm probably a mathematician in a parallel universe.
    Now, I always had a hard time with math classes, because they held no meaning to me. I just couldn't see the value of any of it.

In a real world setting, doing my projections and figures were all algebraic in nature, but were easy and made perfect sense because they had meaning to me.

I don't think it's that I'm terrible at math so much as it bores me senseless and I just can't be bothered with it. Which, I suppose, is kind of funny since I have 8 years of classical music and two years of jazz.

No thanks, give me the humanities any day.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    my best friend is a strong INTP and he can work, nearly, all of the math problems he needs figuring out, in his head..he's really brilliant..

But I find with myself, I tend to be more skilled in History, Literature, and some sciences..not so much the practical mathematics.
    Substitute "best friend" with "husband" (INTP/ISTP) and I can relate to that entire post.

As for sciences, though, I absolutely hated chemistry. Give me any form of biological science, though, and I was all over it. Those made sense to me. Chemistry didn't really interest me unless I got to make pretty fire.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

I like Math. Enough that I decided to get a degree in it.

I don't like calculations, however, and often screw them up.

Still, I know that if the time came, and I was motivated, I could do a couple of weeks of preparation in this matter, and be able to calculate quickly and accurately again.

I think about math in a very conceptual way, and find I can often simply avoid the calculations many people do get answers (or good estimates). This is especially useful, on multiple choice tests.

As for being really quick and accurate on calculations, that's why we have computers. IMO, the abilities to estimate quantities without a lot of calculation, and perform sanity checks for more exact numbers is a lot more useful.

Everyone ought to be taught how to check if a result should be even vs. odd at least (and in general be able to do modulo arithmetic with a low modulus). Also handy is the rule about division by 9. Of course, time still has to be taken to do these types of checks

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

ThatGirl

Natural at calculus and trig, loved physics, failed algebra three times

go figure

MBTI
    INTJ

I rock at algebra and suck at everything else.

Though I don't rock that hard.
    wails from the crypt.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    I rock at algebra and suck at everything else.
    Want to plan world domination with me?

MBTI
    INTJ

I would but then we'd need to have sex.
    wails from the crypt.