• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Structured versus Unstructured thoughts

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't characterize creativity with randomness. Creativity is the brain making connections it has not made before. That is an unstructured thought. There is always a context.

BlackOp

MBTI Type
intj
I don't characterize creativity with randomness. Creativity is the brain making connections it has not made before. That is an unstructured thought. There is always a context.

I guess it comes down to your idea of creativity....I'm a perfectionist so my concept may differ from others. I was speaking in a context of art. A child going apeshit with finger paints could be viewed as creativity.

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
The unstructured thought process that goes into creativity and the subjective perception if something is creative are two very different things to me.

The process of creativity is unstructured. The judgment if something is creative is structured.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Iq tests, chess game etc are good for people with structured thinking but in which fields is unstructured thinking prefered?? In which situations are structured thoughts preferable and in which the opposite?

Whatever does not require much logical thinking. Where the preference for Feeling over Thinking is distinctly expressed.

The arts.
Literature.
Counselling.
Nursing.

And so on..where you just put whatever non-sense your mind has conjured out there without thinking through.

There is no such thing as unstructured thought. As thought and logic are the same thing. All thinking could be described in logical terms. Some thought processes are considered 'good thinking' because they are in tune with principles of logic, other thought processes are considered 'flawed thinking' because they do not follow the principles of logic.

The difference between structured thought and unstructured is that between sound and unsound thinking.

The latter could be useful not for the property of being unsound thought itself, but because shutting down your thinking faculties may leave room for expression of emotion which is of benefit under a number of circumstances.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, nurses are real loose cannons.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
"Structure is a fundamental and sometimes intangible notion covering the recognition, observation, nature, and stability of patterns and relationships of entities."

Thank you Wikipedia lol

My question is what is the application to this in the real world (structued vs. unstructured)?

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
My question is what is the application to this in the real world (structued vs. unstructured)?[/QUOTE]

I am a trainer...

For me a real time application is when I am going to create a new presentation on complex content. I usually go for a walk and let my mind wander. To me that means I am not trying to guide where the thoughts go or care why they have come up...

At first my mind will go to certain places it's used to going but slowly that begins to fade and I let go...

My imagination begins to take over and I let it go to different ways I can present this new information. I haven't structured this training material yet. I haven't organized it... I am simply exploring different creative ways to do it. Some are ridiculous and some are boring but usually one will somehow standout.

I'll take that unstructured idea and then try to impose structure with the content at hand and decide if it is viable or not.

Does that make sense?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ok thanks for the reply, another question if i may?

how is this related to MBTI...can you find a link between the two?

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
ok thanks for the reply, another question if i may?

how is this related to MBTI...can you find a link between the two?

Yes...this letting go which I describe in my example is more of a right brain function. Structure is a left brain function. Every person is born with one side of the brain being more dominant than the other. This simply means that it is the first filter that information is put through in order for things to make sense to us. Not that we don't use both... It is simply first.

Types with variations of the STJs rely much more heavily on their left side (structure) for making sense of the world while NFPs on their right are more prone to make sense of information conceptually and in broader terms (less structure).

Is this true across the board? No, because our environment and the people we grow up with will influence which side of the brain gets developed more intentionally. MBTI is a way to decipher the brain's preference if it wasn't influenced by the outside world. Since we have the ability to do all functions what actually ends up being developed is sometimes what our parents tell us is best. That's why you'll have so many people wondering if their type is true or not...some of the lines have been grayed.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Yes...this letting go which I describe in my example is more of a right brain function. Structure is a left brain function. Every person is born with one side of the brain being more dominant than the other. This simply means that it is the first filter that information is put through in order for things to make sense to us. Not that we don't use both... It is simply first.

Types with variations of the STJs rely much more heavily on their left side (structure) for making sense of the world while NFPs on their right are more prone to make sense of information conceptually and in broader terms (less structure).

Is this true across the board? No, because our environment and the people we grow up with will influence which side of the brain gets developed more intentionally. MBTI is a way to decipher the brain's preference if it wasn't influenced by the outside world. Since we have the ability to do all functions what actually ends up being developed is sometimes what our parents tell us is best. That's why you'll have so many people wondering if their type is true or not...some of the lines have been grayed.

i know this to be true to a point. remember personality type is related to different areas of the brain. bear with me this might be slightly off NT --> frontal lobe NF --> perreinial lobe (sorry for the spelling) SP --> temporal lobe SJ --> occipital lobe

i also meant is this related to the functions in mbti

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
you know Si, Ni, Se, Ne, Fi, Fe, Ti, Te ? those

sorry for being so vague

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
In my training work, I find that the correlation of the functions is more vital in how the brain learns and therefore how I teach a group than addressing the separate functions.
So how much structure I use depends on the type of audience.

When I coach individuals, the separate functions are helpful in understanding why someone considers something important or not. Which in turn helps to figure out what is motivating to them, what isn't, and what the person needs to focus on in order to achieve their goals.

My approach is more structured with those who have an appeal for it and less so for those that don't.