User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    54

    Default Is day-dreaming an N thing?

    I've been a dreamer of the day ever since i can remember (about 3 yrs old) & since discovering this MBTI stuff i've wondered if iNtuition plays a big part? Do other non-N-types find themselves mentally floating away to their fantasly realms at the drop of a hat?

  2. #2
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshlass View Post
    Is daydreaming an N thing?
    Nah.

    Escapism is an easy recourse many people use to elude dull/dreary social situations. Instead of concentrating on an undesirable, people relax their imaginations on an idea that is pleasant to them.

  3. #3
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    I doubt it. I read an article recently: Important work can be done while daydreaming - The Boston Globe which seems to suggest daydreaming is an essential function of the human mind.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  4. #4
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    No.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  5. #5

    Default

    So far it's unanimous, and I agree.

    It not just an N thing.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  6. #6
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Daydreaming itself seems pretty universal.. however I bet the kind of daydream is influenced by the MBTI type.

    Some daydream of status.. some of wealth.. others of freedom. Some of sexual exploits. Some of floating away on a magic cloud.

    Type probably in there somewhere...!

  7. #7
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Daydreaming itself seems pretty universal.. however I bet the kind of daydream is influenced by the MBTI type.

    Some daydream of status.. some of wealth.. others of freedom. Some of sexual exploits. Some of floating away on a magic cloud.

    Type probably in there somewhere...!
    Yeah, I think you're probly right about that, today a co-worker and I were sorta talking about this.

    I was saying the paperwork I was working on was so boring, and she telling me basically to go somewhere else more exciting in my head while I was doing it, and I said I can't do that. My older brother (INTP) is great at that. He and I worked at two different fast-food jobs together (McDonald's and Long John Silver's) and like I was telling her, once he learned how to do the job, he was never there. I mean, he worked hard and did fine, but he was never THERE while he was doing it. Whereas I can sit on the couch or at my desk at work and let my mind wander to other things, but then I'm totally not working at the same time.

    So, possibly, N's are better at daydreaming while continuing to function normally? Your heads are just naturally better at brain multi-tasking maybe? I'm just throwin stuff out there, I dunno.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  8. #8
    Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Nah.

    Escapism is an easy recourse many people use to elude dull/dreary social situations. Instead of concentrating on an undesirable, people relax their imaginations on an idea that is pleasant to them.
    I used to daydream constantly as a child because I was under so much stress. It's a way to give your mind a break from things that feel oppressive.

    I used to dream that Duran Duran was going to bust me out of math class. lol

  9. #9
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, I think you're probly right about that, today a co-worker and I were sorta talking about this.

    I was saying the paperwork I was working on was so boring, and she telling me basically to go somewhere else more exciting in my head while I was doing it, and I said I can't do that. My older brother (INTP) is great at that. He and I worked at two different fast-food jobs together (McDonald's and Long John Silver's) and like I was telling her, once he learned how to do the job, he was never there. I mean, he worked hard and did fine, but he was never THERE while he was doing it. Whereas I can sit on the couch or at my desk at work and let my mind wander to other things, but then I'm totally not working at the same time.

    So, possibly, N's are better at daydreaming while continuing to function normally? Your heads are just naturally better at brain multi-tasking maybe? I'm just throwin stuff out there, I dunno.
    In my observation, once an S learns a skill, they will perform it with more efficiency and with greater accuracy than an N. I've always been competent at my jobs, but my ESFP sister was a better waitress than I was, multitasking all the time (because I never focused well on my external environment like she did). It's not about a lack of social skills, either, I was slower at getting food out and bringing it back in, etc. I was just never "all there" like your brother. It's too exhausting to focus on Se all the time for an Ni dom.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  10. #10
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I used to daydream constantly as a child because I was under so much stress. It's a way to give your mind a break from things that feel oppressive.

    I used to dream that Duran Duran was going to bust me out of math class. lol
    Ha! Those wild boys.. were you hoping they'd take you to Rio?

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Is constantly changing an INFP thing?
    By phoenix31 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-12-2017, 08:59 AM
  2. Is mbti an "NTP thing"?
    By Barlwooh in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
  3. Is it me, or is it an EP thing?!?
    By SillySapienne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
  4. Is this an EXFX thing?
    By Snow Turtle in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 09:50 PM
  5. [INTP] Is this an INTP thing? Or am I just sick?
    By Mort Belfry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO