• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Is day-dreaming an N thing?

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been a dreamer of the day ever since i can remember (about 3 yrs old) & since discovering this MBTI stuff i've wondered if iNtuition plays a big part? Do other non-N-types find themselves mentally floating away to their fantasly realms at the drop of a hat?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Is daydreaming an N thing?

Nah.

Escapism is an easy recourse many people use to elude dull/dreary social situations. Instead of concentrating on an undesirable, people relax their imaginations on an idea that is pleasant to them.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

ygolo

My termites win
So far it's unanimous, and I agree.

It not just an N thing.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Daydreaming itself seems pretty universal.. however I bet the kind of daydream is influenced by the MBTI type.

Some daydream of status.. some of wealth.. others of freedom. Some of sexual exploits. Some of floating away on a magic cloud.

Type probably in there somewhere...!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Daydreaming itself seems pretty universal.. however I bet the kind of daydream is influenced by the MBTI type.

Some daydream of status.. some of wealth.. others of freedom. Some of sexual exploits. Some of floating away on a magic cloud.

Type probably in there somewhere...!

Yeah, I think you're probly right about that, today a co-worker and I were sorta talking about this.

I was saying the paperwork I was working on was so boring, and she telling me basically to go somewhere else more exciting in my head while I was doing it, and I said I can't do that. :( My older brother (INTP) is great at that. He and I worked at two different fast-food jobs together (McDonald's and Long John Silver's) and like I was telling her, once he learned how to do the job, he was never there. I mean, he worked hard and did fine, but he was never THERE while he was doing it. Whereas I can sit on the couch or at my desk at work and let my mind wander to other things, but then I'm totally not working at the same time.

So, possibly, N's are better at daydreaming while continuing to function normally? Your heads are just naturally better at brain multi-tasking maybe? I'm just throwin stuff out there, I dunno.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nah.

Escapism is an easy recourse many people use to elude dull/dreary social situations. Instead of concentrating on an undesirable, people relax their imaginations on an idea that is pleasant to them.

I used to daydream constantly as a child because I was under so much stress. It's a way to give your mind a break from things that feel oppressive.

I used to dream that Duran Duran was going to bust me out of math class. lol

Usehername

On a mission
Yeah, I think you're probly right about that, today a co-worker and I were sorta talking about this.

I was saying the paperwork I was working on was so boring, and she telling me basically to go somewhere else more exciting in my head while I was doing it, and I said I can't do that. :( My older brother (INTP) is great at that. He and I worked at two different fast-food jobs together (McDonald's and Long John Silver's) and like I was telling her, once he learned how to do the job, he was never there. I mean, he worked hard and did fine, but he was never THERE while he was doing it. Whereas I can sit on the couch or at my desk at work and let my mind wander to other things, but then I'm totally not working at the same time.

So, possibly, N's are better at daydreaming while continuing to function normally? Your heads are just naturally better at brain multi-tasking maybe? I'm just throwin stuff out there, I dunno.

In my observation, once an S learns a skill, they will perform it with more efficiency and with greater accuracy than an N. I've always been competent at my jobs, but my ESFP sister was a better waitress than I was, multitasking all the time (because I never focused well on my external environment like she did). It's not about a lack of social skills, either, I was slower at getting food out and bringing it back in, etc. I was just never "all there" like your brother. It's too exhausting to focus on Se all the time for an Ni dom.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I used to daydream constantly as a child because I was under so much stress. It's a way to give your mind a break from things that feel oppressive.

I used to dream that Duran Duran was going to bust me out of math class. lol

Ha! Those wild boys.. were you hoping they'd take you to Rio?

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ha! Those wild boys.. were you hoping they'd take you to Rio?

LOL!

You better believe it! And possibly have a priest in the limousine so Simon and I can get married that instant! :devil:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Does anybody let their minds wander when they write?

What I mean by that is do you ever just follow a stream of emotionally fueled thought in your writing. Almost like a journal writing without much conscious intervention in the form of relating to an audience( more of the notepad being a receptor of your "unconscious thoughts").

I read a book today about some famous writers and how a lot of their escapist dreams, daydreams, and thoughts were excellent source material for their writing. I think it would be interesting to see if certain types have more ability in this type of writing, or if any conclusions or corollaries can be drawn from the general themes of each type or whathaveyou.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Does anybody let their minds wander when they write?

What I mean by that is do you ever just follow a stream of emotionally fueled thought in your writing. Almost like a journal writing without much conscious intervention in the form of relating to an audience( more of the notepad being a receptor of your "unconscious thoughts").

I read a book today about some famous writers and how a lot of their escapist dreams, daydreams, and thoughts were excellent source material for their writing. I think it would be interesting to see if certain types have more ability in this type of writing, or if any conclusions or corollaries can be drawn from the general themes of each type or whathaveyou.

Yep, the subsconscious is very powerful.. it can be released in a sorta meditative state.. so that you are gently guiding, but like a lucid dream, the subconscious creates. It's fun :)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
to sort of compare my thoughts to jeffsters post, personally, I am in sort a meditative state most of the time. A lot of my daydreams have extreme physical rootings. Basically its a state where I'm heavily entrenched in my mind and the subject matter is what is actually happening outside of my head but with a somewhat moderate fantasy tinge.

If something challenging calls my attention I'll immediately revert back and get my bearings( I usually have to sort of track back to know what actually happened) a little bit and proceed with whatever called my attention. I prefer to focus on my somewhat fantasy tinged representation of the world because it feels like I sort of have an ability for Jason Borne like decision making in that I can follow a pattern see the possibilities retreat, rinse, and repeat.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Self-Pronounced professional N daydreamer:

erotic-psp.jpg

redacted

wow why is everyone saying no?

daydreaming is totally an N thing. not N like your type has to be xNxx. but N like the Intuition function. with no Intuition, there would certainly be no daydreaming (although it's kind of a moot point as humans would be entirely worthless without Intuition and would die pretty quickly :))

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
it would be wrong to say that S's don't day dream but i do think N's day dream MORE. we strive to be original, we don't care if our heads' in the clouds and our feet's not on the ground. heck, we like it. we want to be creative, we want to be original. i think day dreaming has a lot of that.

i also think i agree with usehername's theory. not saying that N's can't be master or phsyical skills or whatever, but i always find that my mind wanders. i can't and don't want to blank it out but sometimes that makes me focus on other things when i guess i should be focusing on what my senses are telling me.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it would be wrong to say that S's don't day dream but i do think N's day dream MORE. we strive to be original, we don't care if our heads' in the clouds and our feet's not on the ground. heck, we like it. we want to be creative, we want to be original. i think day dreaming has a lot of that.

i also think i agree with usehername's theory. not saying that N's can't be master or phsyical skills or whatever, but i always find that my mind wanders. i can't and don't want to blank it out but sometimes that makes me focus on other things when i guess i should be focusing on what my senses are telling me.

agreed.

N's tend to do it more then S's.

also mentioned above that everybody uses N and its an N function...agreed also

F

FigerPuppet

I sometimes have to concentrate to keep myself from wandering off into my imagination while listening to lectures.