First 12

Thread: Noam Chomsky

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    I wasn't taking it waaay too literally. He just seems to come off as being the INTP type to me. I could be right or wrong; we don't know.
    Well, you provided a premise and a conclusion, the premise being that he is perceptive, and the conclusion being that he is an INTP.

The thing is, a person could be really perceptive and not be a P.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think his F shows in his political activism. (I think political activist NTs are about as common as NF engineers) He's not overtly emotional, but neither are most introverted feelers.
    He's not the bleeding heart activist in the front of the parade holding the signs that is the NF political activist stereotype. He's a intellectual before he is an activist, he'll write on politics, but he's not in Africa feeding the hungry he's not passing petitions.

There are lots of NT intellectuals who care a lot about the subjects they study.

MBTI
    ENTP

Noam Chomsky isn't that perceptive. I don't think an INTP would have sided with Khmer Rouge like he did. At most, an INTP might distrust the American portrayal of the conflict, but they wouldn't overlook all of the evidence for the massacres and jump to the conclusion that it was the USA's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    He's not the bleeding heart activist in the front of the parade holding the signs that is the NF political activist stereotype. He's a intellectual before he is an activist, he'll write on politics, but he's not in Africa feeding the hungry he's not passing petitions.

There are lots of NT intellectuals who care a lot about the subjects they study.
    He doesn't just write on politics though. He's a propagandist. I just don't think NTs tend to be so morally black and white that they paint entire countries as evil unless it's part of some strategy, like conquering a continent.
    I don't wanna!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

He doesn't just write on politics though. He's a propagandist. I just don't think NTs tend to be so morally black and white that they paint entire countries as evil unless it's part of some strategy, like conquering a continent.
    An NTJ would. But I think he might be an INTP, he does show many shades of gray in his writings, he admits to often wanting to take back or regretting things he just said.

Also, he gets paid for his thoughts, a good good vs. evil narrative is what people want to hear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Noam Chomsky is definately an INTP. If you're curious what an INTJ intellectual looks like on the ground then check out Stephen F. Cohen and his interviews with Charlie Rose. He reminds me of myself when I intellectualize.

Chomsky is a tremendous intellectual but he's very dry and speaks like a textbook. I'd much rather listen to a Howard Zinn or Stephen Cohen lecture.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    Noam Chomsky is definately an INTP. If you're curious what an INTJ intellectual looks like on the ground then check out Stephen F. Cohen and his interviews with Charlie Rose. He reminds me of myself when I intellectualize.

Chomsky is a tremendous intellectual but he's very dry and speaks like a textbook. I'd much rather listen to a Howard Zinn or Stephen Cohen lecture.
    I agree with this assessment. Though I find Chomsky to be an interesting and engaging speaker (notice I didn't say charismatic) the few times I've seen or heard him.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post

During Vietnam Chomsky was arrested multiple times for his anti-war activism.

Noam Chomsky isn't that perceptive. I don't think an INTP would have sided with Khmer Rouge like he did. At most, an INTP might distrust the American portrayal of the conflict, but they wouldn't overlook all of the evidence for the massacres and jump to the conclusion that it was the USA's fault.

I do see Noam as an INFJ. He uses a lot of Fe and Ti. Chomsky is a rationalist (Ti) instead of an empiricist (Te). There are Fe moral undertones in a lot of what he says. He debated French Philosopher Michel Foucault (ENTP) and said about Foucault: "He struck me as completely amoral, I’d never met anyone who was so totally amoral" ... "I mean, I liked him personally, it's just that I couldn't make sense of him. It's as if he was from a different species, or something."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

INTJ, doubtful as he campaigned for a long while and protested at many points. The INTJ style I know wouldn't see the point in protesting...too much "crowd thinking".
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes DarkestSunlight liked this post