• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and open mindedness......

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
As an ntj I am absolutely open to the possibilities of just about anything. However I do not wish to waste energy on anything that is not deemed useful to my objectives. As I have grown older my objectives have grown thus opening me up to various subjects and ideas. With the infinite what ifs that exist within life I find I am much happier and utilize my energy much more sucessfully by focusing on the areas of interest to me. I think an ntp would be more likely to analyze/ruminate on things such as fairies. For me its more like who gives a #$%#.

lol dont knock NTP's. we ruminate on those things precisely because they don't make sense, other wise we'd get bored before anything got interesting or practical.

Frank

lol dont knock NTP's. we ruminate on those things precisely because they don't make sense, other wise we'd get bored before anything got interesting or practical.

No knock intended. I am in no position to speculate which way of thinking is superior. I was only speaking for myself.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Now all those unprovable thigns are surely worth considering even for a moment......????

Actually astrology is merely the interpretation of astronomy data, the interpretational range has c.3000 years of history. What you get in papers is pretty hugie, but it is usually based on the same mthematical measurment of the starts. It's not actually reelevant to most of the readers. Real astroogy is based on individual charts, which you should be able to get a similar reading from 3 seperate people, albeit with a range of margin of variance. The subject also had the ability to add in unconventional behaviour - basically it works on the same principal as applied statistics, - a persons forcast is based on the theory that they will behave true to type, in exactly the same way as sampling theory is used in predictive statistics. If 60% of the same say yet then the majority of the population will go for it.

As for people being overly dependant on others to make their deicsions I totally agree, but that could be almost anything from an over dominant partner, to reading sand, to weather a black cat crosses their path.....

The reality is the obsession fo measurment actually clouds their ability to be open minded - In my humble opinion.... liberate your grey matter.... think differently :)

Lis
Oh, I can consider them if I like, but generally speaking, the only scenerio I can come up with that would make their existence plausible is if they never show themselves, never affect anything and never really take an interest in what we people do, so entertaining the thought of their existence on a day-to-day basis seems like a waste of time considering that criteria. If it doesn't affect me, why should I care?

I generally do spend more than a moment dreaming up ways that some things could exist, though after I reach a conclusion I tend not to revisit it unless I'm presented with a good reason for why I should. I'd rather spend my time on the zillion other unimagineable-yet-interesting things that I haven't managed to rule out yet. I mean, if it happens to be that leprachauns are essential to a physics theory I'm working on, then I'll reconsider the possibility of their existence, but since so far that hasn't been the case, they're going to return to the little corner of my mind that only gets brought up if I need a story idea or two.

As for astrological charts, as I mentionned before, even if there was hard proof that they were accurate, I probably wouldn't care. If you know everything that will be coming before it comes, or how you'll react to things before they happen, then what's the point of living to find all this out? I'd rather have the freedom to screw my life up than the luxury of knowing which path is the 'correct' one.

Oh, and I refuse to change my thinking to match yours until you change your thinking to match mine. Open-minded-ness doesn't mean agreeing with you, it means that I consider your point of view before taking a position, which I have already done. And it works both ways, meaning that just because my opinion is different than yours, it doesn't mean that your way of thinking is better than mine.

Look up Sagittarius in the star charts. I'm not talking astrology, I'm talking astronomy; some people liken the image to a tea pot in the sky. To view it correctly in real life you can't be in a city, you need to be south of 55N and north of 65S, between the months of June and September. Actual lenth of time you get to see it varies with latitude.
So you're saying that, considering I don't live on the North or South Pole or live in a city, I should be able to walk outside right now and see it? Or would I need to get out my telescope first?

Actually, for the teapot thing I was referring more to Russell's teapot, which more or less explained why I don't entertain the thought of absolutely everything that gets presented to me.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
What I've observed about NTPs is that they seem to like to play endlessly with the borderline between what we know and what we don't know. But then when push comes to shove they'll be a skeptic every time. If you aren't used to them sometimes they can fool you into thinking they're about to buy into all kinds of craziness. But they're only test driving it.

I only know one INTJ in real life, my husband, and he loves pseudo science and alien type books. Also loves stuff about Bigfoot and Nessie and all that. He doesn't believe any of it for a minute. With the alien stuff he probably suspends his judgment the most but still remains firmly skeptical. For him it's all entertainment, like nonfiction science fiction or something. He also seems to love to watch certain shows on TV like the ghost hunter shows on the Sci Fi channel even though he believes it's all scripted and fake. When we first met I was actually very proper-minded about all things skeptical because of my college education. I would not even watch the X Files. I told him he shouldn't waste his time reading alien books and made him mad at me. The longer I was out of college, the more I loosened up.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
As an INTJ, I find myself very open minded, and that causes issues. I like to debate and point out things for people to consider, so I am always changing to the minority side (even though I agree with the majority sometimes). Don't know why, but I like the challenge and to look at all the angles at times.

Of course after I do this, I have to make a decision because everyone gets overwhelmed. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing...

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
I have read up a fair bit on astrology, can chart, predict etc. My boss and various others think it's all hokey. You should hear him when I try and get him to even consider the topic of fairies or elfs or anything (LOL), he just wont even go there.... LOL

Surely being rational means reading up enough to make an informed decision, rather than simply writing stuff off based on no knoweldge what so ever...

Y'know, I don't have a problem with astrology. Mind you, I don't necessarily believe in it, but I don't disbelieve it, either. (If it's done properly with the entire chart, not just the crap in the newspaper.)

I'm open-minded. I'm open to possibilities and ideas. I practice a non-mainstream religion, myself. However, I'm not so open-minded that my brains fall out. (And this is why the fluffy "love everyone" crowd refers to me as a fascist meanie poopoo head.)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you're saying that, considering I don't live on the North or South Pole or live in a city, I should be able to walk outside right now and see it? Or would I need to get out my telescope first?

Actually, for the teapot thing I was referring more to Russell's teapot, which more or less explained why I don't entertain the thought of absolutely everything that gets presented to me.

Ah, I see. If that one existed it would be Hubble that one would require to pick it out. What would be funny is if there was a small asteroid that size with just the right shape that reflected light from the Sun would make that kind of illusion. I'd laugh my ass off :D. But yeah, you should be able to see Sagittarius still - around what latitude are you?

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ah, I see. If that one existed it would be Hubble that one would require to pick it out. What would be funny is if there was a small asteroid that size with just the right shape that reflected light from the Sun would make that kind of illusion. I'd laugh my ass off :D. But yeah, you should be able to see Sagittarius still - around what latitude are you?
Heh, yeah. It'd be more amusing if the asteroid actually did take that shape, just by random chance, kind of like Italy just happens to look like a boot from an outside perspective.

And according to my handy Atlas I have in front of me, I'm apparently a little under 50N.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh, yeah. It'd be more amusing if the asteroid actually did take that shape, just by random chance, kind of like Italy just happens to look like a boot from an outside perspective.

And according to my handy Atlas I have in front of me, I'm apparently a little under 50N.

Do you have good Southern sky exposure, The Archer dips pretty low at that latitude (I'm a little above 51 and it's a pain sometimes if you have a hill or lots of trees in the way).

MBTI Type
INxJ
I know from personal experience my INTJ dad is immediately and extremely dismissive of anything that can not be measured, his favorite term is "deliverables". It seems as though the only subjects he will elaborate on are those with a strong systematical scientific rooting, if not he will be quick to mention the lack of actual research to support the claim.

I will hear someone out. If they have a valid point, why not? Yet, if it can't be proven through certain methods I will definitely dismiss it.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am an absolute sceptic. I am even open to the possibility that I am not an ESFJ.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
As an ntj I am absolutely open to the possibilities of just about anything. However I do not wish to waste energy on anything that is not deemed useful to my objectives. As I have grown older my objectives have grown thus opening me up to various subjects and ideas. With the infinite what ifs that exist within life I find I am much happier and utilize my energy much more sucessfully by focusing on the areas of interest to me. I think an ntp would be more likely to analyze/ruminate on things such as fairies. For me its more like who gives a #$%#.

+1 !!

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Do you have good Southern sky exposure, The Archer dips pretty low at that latitude (I'm a little above 51 and it's a pain sometimes if you have a hill or lots of trees in the way).
I live on the Prairies. I've got nothing but sky exposure. And fields.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
NTs are more open-minded than the general population. Intuition is associated with high Openness and that factor governs one’s positive reception to new ideas. How open one is would be dependent on not only one’s type but on one’s personal stats, whether someone is 50-51% on the Sensing-Intuition dichotomy for instance. Dominant Intuitives such as INTJs and ENTPs are generally rather open minded, though INTJs may appear less open minded than they actually are since they communicate with their extraverted function, Te. Rationals also have a tendency to point out the flaws in a belief system whether they believe it or not, simply in a form of mental exercise, so some your coworkers may very well believe many of your ideas but simply aren’t stating it blatantly.

I’m personally open to just about anything, though I’ll rank specific ideas and concepts based on their probability in light of the available evidence. That does not, however, disqualify ideas with a lack of evidence but simply leaves them in a limbo of ambiguity: the status of chance that they might be true but that they equally might not be. I am a believer in ESP due in large part to the Rhine experiments.

Oh, I can consider them if I like, but generally speaking, the only scenerio I can come up with that would make their existence plausible is if they never show themselves, never affect anything and never really take an interest in what we people do, so entertaining the thought of their existence on a day-to-day basis seems like a waste of time considering that criteria. If it doesn't affect me, why should I care?
If an organism as large as the Megamouth shark could remain undetected until 1976, is it really so unbelievable for a fairy, something not only small but in some descriptions, ethereal in nature, to go unobserved until now? The giant panda wasn’t discovered until 1869 and the Mountain Gorilla still later in 1902. Would you honestly say that these animals can have no effect on humanity or that you couldn’t care less about their existence?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I live on the Prairies. I've got nothing but sky exposure. And fields.

You shouldn't have trouble then. How close are you to 50? North of 49 or south?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If an organism as large as the Megamouth shark could remain undetected until 1976, is it really so unbelievable for a fairy, something not only small but in some descriptions, ethereal in nature, to go unobserved until now? The giant panda wasn’t discovered until 1869 and the Mountain Gorilla still later in 1902. Would you honestly say that these animals can have no effect on humanity or that you couldn’t care less about their existence?

The biggest problem with it is 'ethereal in nature'. There are a lot of animals that people have traditionally attributed 'magic' and that is consistently unfounded. If these small creatures have 'magic' that makes them not only invisible but also intangible, well... we're going to have such a hard time finding them that they may as well be negligible. We haven't found any other animals that can do this. Why start now?

Another problem with so many cryptozoology animals is that so many places insist that there is only one. This seems a bit impossible, especially if people are still claiming to 'see' them in these places. Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if there were, well, a lot of them? So they could, you know, reproduce? That's a part of the myth, that there is only one, so that people feel special for seeing it (or any sticks and branches that sort of look like it.)

There are too many people who want to believe that it'd be too difficult for these things to be proven, especially because the people who aren't believers tend to think it's a waste of time. Nobody would be impartial enough to do it.

However, if we do find a hairy species of humanoid primates who walk on two feet and live in the Yukon, then by all means, call them Homo Sasquatch. It's just that I guarantee, they will be a week-long blip on the news and that place will be a tourist spot for a few years, and what used to be wonder about what could be out there will be replaced with a bit of useless trivia.

observer84

MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't read all this, so I apologize if I'm repeating or not quite on subject.

P types in general are very open-minded because informations-gathering is a continual process, up to the very last second. They wait until faced with a situation to make a decision, rather than seek out situations that support their decision.

Why is this?

ENTP, INTP, ENFP,INFP:
use Ne and Ti/Fi, meaning they gather external information with Ne and evaluate the information with Ti or Fi.

ESTP, ISTP, ESFP and ISFP:
use Se and Ti/Fi, meaning they gather external information with Se and evaluate the information with Ti or Fi.

Because their information gather function is oriented in the external world, which they know they cannot control, they readily change decisions based on continuous incoming information.

J-types use Si or Ni, supported by Fe or Te. The information gathering process for J-types is base on the internal world, which is governed by their past experience/knowledge. Their decisions create or seek-out external situations, while their information-gathering process serves as an internal guide.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I like ideas that I don't understand. Yet I dislike philosophy because its lack of praticality.