User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 54

  1. #21
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    As an ntj I am absolutely open to the possibilities of just about anything. However I do not wish to waste energy on anything that is not deemed useful to my objectives. As I have grown older my objectives have grown thus opening me up to various subjects and ideas. With the infinite what ifs that exist within life I find I am much happier and utilize my energy much more sucessfully by focusing on the areas of interest to me. I think an ntp would be more likely to analyze/ruminate on things such as fairies. For me its more like who gives a #$%#.
    lol dont knock NTP's. we ruminate on those things precisely because they don't make sense, other wise we'd get bored before anything got interesting or practical.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  2. #22
    seor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I'm entertained by your perception of insult.
    So am I.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    lol dont knock NTP's. we ruminate on those things precisely because they don't make sense, other wise we'd get bored before anything got interesting or practical.
    No knock intended. I am in no position to speculate which way of thinking is superior. I was only speaking for myself.

  4. #24
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Now all those unprovable thigns are surely worth considering even for a moment......????

    Actually astrology is merely the interpretation of astronomy data, the interpretational range has c.3000 years of history. What you get in papers is pretty hugie, but it is usually based on the same mthematical measurment of the starts. It's not actually reelevant to most of the readers. Real astroogy is based on individual charts, which you should be able to get a similar reading from 3 seperate people, albeit with a range of margin of variance. The subject also had the ability to add in unconventional behaviour - basically it works on the same principal as applied statistics, - a persons forcast is based on the theory that they will behave true to type, in exactly the same way as sampling theory is used in predictive statistics. If 60% of the same say yet then the majority of the population will go for it.

    As for people being overly dependant on others to make their deicsions I totally agree, but that could be almost anything from an over dominant partner, to reading sand, to weather a black cat crosses their path.....

    The reality is the obsession fo measurment actually clouds their ability to be open minded - In my humble opinion.... liberate your grey matter.... think differently

    Lis
    Oh, I can consider them if I like, but generally speaking, the only scenerio I can come up with that would make their existence plausible is if they never show themselves, never affect anything and never really take an interest in what we people do, so entertaining the thought of their existence on a day-to-day basis seems like a waste of time considering that criteria. If it doesn't affect me, why should I care?

    I generally do spend more than a moment dreaming up ways that some things could exist, though after I reach a conclusion I tend not to revisit it unless I'm presented with a good reason for why I should. I'd rather spend my time on the zillion other unimagineable-yet-interesting things that I haven't managed to rule out yet. I mean, if it happens to be that leprachauns are essential to a physics theory I'm working on, then I'll reconsider the possibility of their existence, but since so far that hasn't been the case, they're going to return to the little corner of my mind that only gets brought up if I need a story idea or two.

    As for astrological charts, as I mentionned before, even if there was hard proof that they were accurate, I probably wouldn't care. If you know everything that will be coming before it comes, or how you'll react to things before they happen, then what's the point of living to find all this out? I'd rather have the freedom to screw my life up than the luxury of knowing which path is the 'correct' one.

    Oh, and I refuse to change my thinking to match yours until you change your thinking to match mine. Open-minded-ness doesn't mean agreeing with you, it means that I consider your point of view before taking a position, which I have already done. And it works both ways, meaning that just because my opinion is different than yours, it doesn't mean that your way of thinking is better than mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Look up Sagittarius in the star charts. I'm not talking astrology, I'm talking astronomy; some people liken the image to a tea pot in the sky. To view it correctly in real life you can't be in a city, you need to be south of 55N and north of 65S, between the months of June and September. Actual lenth of time you get to see it varies with latitude.
    So you're saying that, considering I don't live on the North or South Pole or live in a city, I should be able to walk outside right now and see it? Or would I need to get out my telescope first?

    Actually, for the teapot thing I was referring more to Russell's teapot, which more or less explained why I don't entertain the thought of absolutely everything that gets presented to me.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  5. #25
    Senior Member SquirrelTao's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INXX
    Posts
    198

    Default

    What I've observed about NTPs is that they seem to like to play endlessly with the borderline between what we know and what we don't know. But then when push comes to shove they'll be a skeptic every time. If you aren't used to them sometimes they can fool you into thinking they're about to buy into all kinds of craziness. But they're only test driving it.

    I only know one INTJ in real life, my husband, and he loves pseudo science and alien type books. Also loves stuff about Bigfoot and Nessie and all that. He doesn't believe any of it for a minute. With the alien stuff he probably suspends his judgment the most but still remains firmly skeptical. For him it's all entertainment, like nonfiction science fiction or something. He also seems to love to watch certain shows on TV like the ghost hunter shows on the Sci Fi channel even though he believes it's all scripted and fake. When we first met I was actually very proper-minded about all things skeptical because of my college education. I would not even watch the X Files. I told him he shouldn't waste his time reading alien books and made him mad at me. The longer I was out of college, the more I loosened up.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Maabus1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    528

    Default

    As an INTJ, I find myself very open minded, and that causes issues. I like to debate and point out things for people to consider, so I am always changing to the minority side (even though I agree with the majority sometimes). Don't know why, but I like the challenge and to look at all the angles at times.

    Of course after I do this, I have to make a decision because everyone gets overwhelmed. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing...

  7. #27
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I have read up a fair bit on astrology, can chart, predict etc. My boss and various others think it's all hokey. You should hear him when I try and get him to even consider the topic of fairies or elfs or anything (LOL), he just wont even go there.... LOL

    Surely being rational means reading up enough to make an informed decision, rather than simply writing stuff off based on no knoweldge what so ever...
    Y'know, I don't have a problem with astrology. Mind you, I don't necessarily believe in it, but I don't disbelieve it, either. (If it's done properly with the entire chart, not just the crap in the newspaper.)

    I'm open-minded. I'm open to possibilities and ideas. I practice a non-mainstream religion, myself. However, I'm not so open-minded that my brains fall out. (And this is why the fluffy "love everyone" crowd refers to me as a fascist meanie poopoo head.)
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  8. #28
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    So you're saying that, considering I don't live on the North or South Pole or live in a city, I should be able to walk outside right now and see it? Or would I need to get out my telescope first?

    Actually, for the teapot thing I was referring more to Russell's teapot, which more or less explained why I don't entertain the thought of absolutely everything that gets presented to me.
    Ah, I see. If that one existed it would be Hubble that one would require to pick it out. What would be funny is if there was a small asteroid that size with just the right shape that reflected light from the Sun would make that kind of illusion. I'd laugh my ass off . But yeah, you should be able to see Sagittarius still - around what latitude are you?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #29
    Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Ah, I see. If that one existed it would be Hubble that one would require to pick it out. What would be funny is if there was a small asteroid that size with just the right shape that reflected light from the Sun would make that kind of illusion. I'd laugh my ass off . But yeah, you should be able to see Sagittarius still - around what latitude are you?
    Heh, yeah. It'd be more amusing if the asteroid actually did take that shape, just by random chance, kind of like Italy just happens to look like a boot from an outside perspective.

    And according to my handy Atlas I have in front of me, I'm apparently a little under 50N.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

  10. #30
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    Heh, yeah. It'd be more amusing if the asteroid actually did take that shape, just by random chance, kind of like Italy just happens to look like a boot from an outside perspective.

    And according to my handy Atlas I have in front of me, I'm apparently a little under 50N.
    Do you have good Southern sky exposure, The Archer dips pretty low at that latitude (I'm a little above 51 and it's a pain sometimes if you have a hill or lots of trees in the way).
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJs and Single-Mindedness
    By Kiddo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
  2. [NT] NT's and fluffy clouds :o)
    By labyrinthine in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
  3. Odd idea about (some) NT's and NF's.
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
  4. [NT] NT's and cheating
    By GirlAmerica in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 09:37 PM
  5. [NT] The NT Rationale and Rightness
    By Spartan in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO