• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Star Trek

Are NTs more likely to be SciFi Geeks?

• Yes definately more SFi geekery involved?

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Yes but only NJ types

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Yes but nly NP types

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

Sinister Scribe

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I like Star Trek (Original and Next Generation) and Star Wars... but I also like certain fantasy genres. It really just depends.

ygolo

My termites win
I prefer Science to Science Fiction.

The truth is so much more interesting than fiction.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah well, I can't stand it as you can imagine. Never watched it in my life. BUT once upon a time I got blackmailed into going to a convention and I can confidently say that ISTJ was well represented there... especially amongst the collectors...

...actually, many types were well represented. But suffice to say, I don't think the ones dressed (and acting) as Klingons were introverts...

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah well, I can't stand it as you can imagine. Never watched it in my life. BUT once upon a time I got blackmailed into going to a convention and I can confidently say that ISTJ was well represented there... especially amongst the collectors...

...actually, many types were well represented. But suffice to say, I don't think the ones dressed (and acting) as Klingons were introverts...

lol! Get outta town!.....ISTJ's?......Bizarre.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Si-Fi is about the only geeky thing I do :yes:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol! Get outta town!.....ISTJ's?......Bizarre.

Takes a certain amount of patience and uh, stability, to devote 20 years of your life to collecting items and keeping them in sealed, cellophane packets, cataloguing and displaying them according to issue numbers and customizing your car for their efficient transport from convention to convention...

This level of patience, I'm thinking, doesn't come at all naturally to NP's... or N's generally!

edit - those who stood around in conversations, quoting lines from episodes whose season, episode number and title they've memorized were not NT's, I'm thinking...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh yeah, and the 'Spinerfemmes' - a group of women obsessed with the actor Brent Spiner (Data), are certainly not NT's - at least, not those of them who have bought their houses according to the view they have of Spiner's house... and I'm pretty sure the ones who write 'slash' fiction aren't NT's either...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
See, when ENTP's do sci-fi, we make it cool.
It's only geeky when the INTP's and ISTJ's get hold of it :alttongue:

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like Star trek.

It's a world where frenchmen can be captain of the admiral vessel of the Federation, and where Paris is the capitol city of earth and the galaxy.

(Too utopia-ish, you said?) :frown:

Also, star trek tells us that in the future, french people will speak english with a british accent, until they get drunk on wine, then they start singing in french, but they'll keep right on speaking english even then.

Also, according to star trek, in the future, robots will have asses that can function as floatation devices. (This is also true in futurama, but that's a different matter.)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
My dad always made me watch Star Trek when I was little, so I'm down with them. So when it comes to space exploration, you would find me on the Enterprise first any day. But I'm not into sci-fi at all....

*smacks light saber out of some geeks hands*

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, star trek tells us that in the future, french people will speak english with a british accent, until they get drunk on wine, then they start singing in french, but they'll keep right on speaking english even then.

Nooooo, that's just the universal translator malfunctioning! :rolleyes:

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Nooooo, that's just the universal translator malfunctioning! :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, in the episode which I'm referring to, they were NOT wearing universal translators while on the surface. Even though that, Picard was still speaking with a british accent.

(And singing in french, when drunk of course).

I demand an explanation! :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
If I remember correctly, in the episode which I'm referring to, they were NOT wearing universal translators while on the surface. Even though that, Picard was still speaking with a british accent.

(And singing in french, when drunk of course).

I demand an explanation! :D

Well now, being French myself, but having lived in the UK for a looooong time, I speak English with a British accent most of the time. But when drunk or tired, I do revert to French without realizing it.

Perhaps it's the same for Picard. Poor chap.

BTW I like your avatar. That's the dude that killed Tasha - I never liked her anyway!

ygolo

My termites win

Hmm... I was all ready to say 'yes', then I thought about my life as a geeky roleplayer with my AD&D books under my arm all the time. Well, under the arm of the dufus I conned into carrying them for me, but they were mine.

And I remembered how it seemed to me most of the people in the roleplaying groups were real by the book types, most of whom were also into sci-fi. It was hard to find someone who wouldn't be completely nitpicky all the damn time and have to follow everything meticulously and they'd bore me to death spending hours lingering over details ingame whilst I was just yawning and waiting to splat someone.

All that meticulousness and rule following doesn't seem very NT to me...

Takes a certain amount of patience and uh, stability, to devote 20 years of your life to collecting items and keeping them in sealed, cellophane packets, cataloguing and displaying them according to issue numbers and customizing your car for their efficient transport from convention to convention...

This level of patience, I'm thinking, doesn't come at all naturally to NP's... or N's generally!

edit - those who stood around in conversations, quoting lines from episodes whose season, episode number and title they've memorized were not NT's, I'm thinking...

Oh yeah, and the 'Spinerfemmes' - a group of women obsessed with the actor Brent Spiner (Data), are certainly not NT's - at least, not those of them who have bought their houses according to the view they have of Spiner's house... and I'm pretty sure the ones who write 'slash' fiction aren't NT's either...

Well now, being French myself, but having lived in the UK for a looooong time, I speak English with a British accent most of the time. But when drunk or tired, I do revert to French without realizing it.

Perhaps it's the same for Picard. Poor chap.

BTW I like your avatar. That's the dude that killed Tasha - I never liked her anyway!

How do you know so much about this?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Alright, you force me out of the closet.
I am a Trekkie.
There. Happy now?
I hope you know, if I get murdered, it'll be YOUR fault! :cry:

(cos like it was sooooo secret)

ygolo

My termites win
Alright, you force me out of the closet.
I am a Trekkie.
There. Happy now?
I hope you know, if I get murdered, it'll be YOUR fault! :cry:

(cos like it was sooooo secret)

People murder trekkies? That is geek bashing to the max.

You know I used to considered myself a "trekkie" till I met the real thing (A kid in school used to dress-up like Spock, and a former boss was a regular at Sci-Fi. conventions).

Now, I just say I like Star Trek and have seen (what I believe to be) a large number of episodes.

I personally think "The Next Generation" was the most thought provoking of all the series (the others mainly being aimed at a seemingly narrow audience). The original casts' movies, however, were better, and had wider appeal, IMO.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know what you mean ygolo, I hesitate to use the word - I just like the show, I don't collect stuff or dress up or anything. Though I do enjoy conventions, despite I've only been to one, I'd like to go to another. But then, I like most large gatherings of people!

I like TNG, but I dunno... I think DS9 was just as thought provoking - less episodic, characters progressed and evolved more. I don't think I really have a favourite series though I do think Voyager was the weakest, character-wise.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know what you mean ygolo, I hesitate to use the word - I just like the show, I don't collect stuff or dress up or anything. Though I do enjoy conventions, despite I've only been to one, I'd like to go to another. But then, I like most large gatherings of people!

I like TNG, but I dunno... I think DS9 was just as thought provoking - less episodic, characters progressed and evolved more. I don't think I really have a favourite series though I do think Voyager was the weakest, character-wise.

I used to hate DS9 when I'd seen the episodes once in a blue moon, watching it piecemeal. After I obtained the entire series (bittorrent *cough*) and watched it *in sequence*, I realized how awesome it really was. It's *imperative* that you watch DS9 in sequence if you really want to enjoy it to its fullest. IMO much of TNG could be watched out of order, as there wasn't nearly as much pre-context to digest before you understood the point of each episode.