User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are NTs more likely to be SciFi Geeks?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes definately more SFi geekery involved?

29 69.05%
  • Yes but only NJ types

2 4.76%
  • Yes but nly NP types

2 4.76%
  • No

9 21.43%
First 2345 Last

Thread: Star Trek

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I like Star trek.

It's a world where frenchmen can be captain of the admiral vessel of the Federation, and where Paris is the capitol city of earth and the galaxy.

(Too utopia-ish, you said?)
    Also, star trek tells us that in the future, french people will speak english with a british accent, until they get drunk on wine, then they start singing in french, but they'll keep right on speaking english even then.

Also, according to star trek, in the future, robots will have asses that can function as floatation devices. (This is also true in futurama, but that's a different matter.)
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

My dad always made me watch Star Trek when I was little, so I'm down with them. So when it comes to space exploration, you would find me on the Enterprise first any day. But I'm not into sci-fi at all....

*smacks light saber out of some geeks hands*

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptowin View Post
    Also, star trek tells us that in the future, french people will speak english with a british accent, until they get drunk on wine, then they start singing in french, but they'll keep right on speaking english even then.
    Nooooo, that's just the universal translator malfunctioning!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Nooooo, that's just the universal translator malfunctioning!
    If I remember correctly, in the episode which I'm referring to, they were NOT wearing universal translators while on the surface. Even though that, Picard was still speaking with a british accent.

(And singing in french, when drunk of course).

I demand an explanation!
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptowin View Post
    If I remember correctly, in the episode which I'm referring to, they were NOT wearing universal translators while on the surface. Even though that, Picard was still speaking with a british accent.

(And singing in french, when drunk of course).

I demand an explanation!
    Well now, being French myself, but having lived in the UK for a looooong time, I speak English with a British accent most of the time. But when drunk or tired, I do revert to French without realizing it.

Perhaps it's the same for Picard. Poor chap.

BTW I like your avatar. That's the dude that killed Tasha - I never liked her anyway!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

Yeah well, I can't stand it as you can imagine. Never watched it in my life. BUT once upon a time I got blackmailed into going to a convention and I can confidently say that ISTJ was well represented there... especially amongst the collectors...

...actually, many types were well represented. But suffice to say, I don't think the ones dressed (and acting) as Klingons were introverts...
    Hmm... I was all ready to say 'yes', then I thought about my life as a geeky roleplayer with my AD&D books under my arm all the time. Well, under the arm of the dufus I conned into carrying them for me, but they were mine.

And I remembered how it seemed to me most of the people in the roleplaying groups were real by the book types, most of whom were also into sci-fi. It was hard to find someone who wouldn't be completely nitpicky all the damn time and have to follow everything meticulously and they'd bore me to death spending hours lingering over details ingame whilst I was just yawning and waiting to splat someone.

All that meticulousness and rule following doesn't seem very NT to me...
    Takes a certain amount of patience and uh, stability, to devote 20 years of your life to collecting items and keeping them in sealed, cellophane packets, cataloguing and displaying them according to issue numbers and customizing your car for their efficient transport from convention to convention...

This level of patience, I'm thinking, doesn't come at all naturally to NP's... or N's generally!

edit - those who stood around in conversations, quoting lines from episodes whose season, episode number and title they've memorized were not NT's, I'm thinking...
    Oh yeah, and the 'Spinerfemmes' - a group of women obsessed with the actor Brent Spiner (Data), are certainly not NT's - at least, not those of them who have bought their houses according to the view they have of Spiner's house... and I'm pretty sure the ones who write 'slash' fiction aren't NT's either...
    Well now, being French myself, but having lived in the UK for a looooong time, I speak English with a British accent most of the time. But when drunk or tired, I do revert to French without realizing it.

Perhaps it's the same for Picard. Poor chap.

BTW I like your avatar. That's the dude that killed Tasha - I never liked her anyway!
    How do you know so much about this?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

Alright, you force me out of the closet.
    I am a Trekkie.
    There. Happy now?
    I hope you know, if I get murdered, it'll be YOUR fault!

(cos like it was sooooo secret)

Alright, you force me out of the closet.
    I am a Trekkie.
    There. Happy now?
    I hope you know, if I get murdered, it'll be YOUR fault!

(cos like it was sooooo secret)
    People murder trekkies? That is geek bashing to the max.

You know I used to considered myself a "trekkie" till I met the real thing (A kid in school used to dress-up like Spock, and a former boss was a regular at Sci-Fi. conventions).

Now, I just say I like Star Trek and have seen (what I believe to be) a large number of episodes.

I personally think "The Next Generation" was the most thought provoking of all the series (the others mainly being aimed at a seemingly narrow audience). The original casts' movies, however, were better, and had wider appeal, IMO.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

I know what you mean ygolo, I hesitate to use the word - I just like the show, I don't collect stuff or dress up or anything. Though I do enjoy conventions, despite I've only been to one, I'd like to go to another. But then, I like most large gatherings of people!

I like TNG, but I dunno... I think DS9 was just as thought provoking - less episodic, characters progressed and evolved more. I don't think I really have a favourite series though I do think Voyager was the weakest, character-wise.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I know what you mean ygolo, I hesitate to use the word - I just like the show, I don't collect stuff or dress up or anything. Though I do enjoy conventions, despite I've only been to one, I'd like to go to another. But then, I like most large gatherings of people!

I like TNG, but I dunno... I think DS9 was just as thought provoking - less episodic, characters progressed and evolved more. I don't think I really have a favourite series though I do think Voyager was the weakest, character-wise.
    I used to hate DS9 when I'd seen the episodes once in a blue moon, watching it piecemeal. After I obtained the entire series (bittorrent *cough*) and watched it *in sequence*, I realized how awesome it really was. It's *imperative* that you watch DS9 in sequence if you really want to enjoy it to its fullest. IMO much of TNG could be watched out of order, as there wasn't nearly as much pre-context to digest before you understood the point of each episode.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so