• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What Does Your Thinking Decision Stream of Consciousness Look Like?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When making most decisions that require some actual thought:

"Well if I do this I get...[insert list of bonuses], but I lose... And what'll happen if I choose that [insert scenario] But if I do that I get...[insert opposing list of bonuses], but I lose that stuff... And then this'll happen...[insert other scenario] So...my overall gain between the two is... Ah, so option two is best, but what happens if I acutally do it. [Insert all possible imagined scenarios involving option two.] Okay. So. I'll do option two. And then I'll say this. And then I'll do this. And then all do this. And it should all work out okay. But just to be sure...[insert quick recap of entire process listed above plus a quiet, continuing mantra of "I'll do this, then this, then this."]" (Total time involved: 1-2 minutes.)

Every option in this has a visual-spatial relationship to every other option in my mind. Every option also is considered not only in relation to its pros and cons but is quickly applied as a situation. Whichever option is chosen is then experimented with situationally until all possible scenarios have been played. I choose the best one, adapt it to the current situation, run the scenario again to make sure it'll probably work, and summarise and recap the whole process until I have it fixated in my head so I can't forget what I'm going to do.

T

ThatGirl

If a=b
and b=c
then a=c

unless some A are D that are B but not C

at which point a= b1=c-d b2 a=d-b1c+b2-c d=?a+?b-c c=ab-d

And thats exactly why i ate pizza for dinner, see

Disclaimer:
*that probably wasnt accurate*

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I seem nearly incapable of linear thinking. It used to be very frustrating to know that other people just sat down and thought about a problem and could come to a decision that way.

For me, I know I have to make a decision sometime.

I file that thought away and go about my business. I must be gathering data as I listen to people and observe. Sometimes I'm reading about it somewhere. I ask other people questions. In general pay attention to my surroundings, thoughts and feelings.

After a week or two "It" just comes to me.

I am very independent about taking other people's advice, but if I am on a deadline and the answers just aren't coming I ask a Tee for some help.

Although it has served me well, it's some awkward to feel at the mercy of this sort of unconscious process.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
With the data received, I create patterns of thoughts ('what if...'), then I choose what seems most logical/requires less effort.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Recall a time when you made a thinking decision and try to reconstruct your stream of consciousness.
"Hmm. Definitely an INTP question. Argh! I hate questions like this. It's impossible for me to remember my stream of consciousness. Just like an INTP to think everybody can do that. I not going to answer this question. It would take too darn long. Forget it. Hey wait. I can stream of consciousness THIS decision. That's the only stream of consciousness I'm EVER going to remember."

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It looks like this...

clouds_jesus.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me personally its like I've already have a bunch of these internal concepts which I sort of internally organize based on the data that I'm receiving externally.

For instance today I was talking to my mom about HMO's and Information technology and I first sort of built a general concept of what I was trying to understand and each successive question was based largely on one of these internal concepts.

It's sort of like a parallel processing of concepts, I have one external concept that is somewhat solid around the perimeter but still malleable and what seems like an infinite series of concepts that are brought to my attention as I try to make the external concept more definitive.

It's a pretty rapid process but it seems like each question I ask is an attempt to sort of connect each piece of the parallel concepts. The biggest thing ultimately is to ask vague but pointed questions so that when you either search for the information or ask the "professional" that you get a maximum amount of detail, depth, and clarity.

So to sort of wrap up that nonsensical rambling its basically just a search for asking the most "leveraged" questions.

Yeah, sort of like that.

Whatever it is, it does not reduce well to linear patterns, although I can excise chunks of it as linear thought processes in order to "explain my thinking" to someone else.

I used to be far more linear when younger but it quickly changed to a "model" based format where I now construct a working model in my head with the crucial points (and set aside detail that seems irrelevant... although it's kept in a holding bin on the side that i can dig it back out if the model changes enough to accommodate it), and the stronger the model is, the more I spin it and project it as a way to test similar concepts. If the points don't line up, something is out of whack. (At that point, I guess I use more linear-based arguments to test and verify each point, to see which ones are weakest and why.)

The goal seems to be to tease the most coherent pattern with the least amount of necessary points, to simplify the model as much as possible while still keeping it useful.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU"]Sometimes[/YOUTUBE]

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't do this. I'm trying, but I can't. It just happens.

I mean it's pretty obvious isn't it?

What's the situation? (sum up objectively as poss)
What does it need to improve? (take into account as many factors as possible)
Where can you get those things? (consider as many options as possible)
Let's do it.

takes about 2 nanoseconds :)