• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Now the most emotionally stable type!

Which type is the most emotionally stable

• Total voters

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Emotional stability would firstly depend upon how you define emotion and how you define stable. As has been established in many conversations though INTJs are very analytical (sometimes even leaving the whole "ytical" out completely) their results are still based on emotional bias and when called on it they can get quite irate. Such big red buttons I see as a sign of not being stable.

Now if we move towards stability being "less reactive to stressers" then again it depends upon what is stressing them. I've seen people who are laid back (supposedly) who get quite shirty about little things and people who are known to be hot heads remain calm. It's very dependent upon how much they care and how prepared they are.

I know that certain types leave themselves open to stress like ESTJs, ENFPs and so on but for a type immune to stress.. I don't think there is one. This whole stability thing is totally dependent upon definition, parameters and how much you read into things.

I just don't see it as a link which can be made to type any more than it can be made to circumstance, demeanour, enneagram, diet or any number of things. Emotional stability - type is a fad diet.
Good points.
I agree with you that these terms need to be defined.
It never fails that in opinion threads like these, it doesn't take long before it becomes evident that every person has their own working definitions,
which don't appear to provide a cohesive basis for the discussion.

But judging by the name of this thread,
I would think there has already been a poll on the most emotionally un-stable type,
and it doesn't appear to be that scientific.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I can't believe someone voted for ENFP... This poll has lost all credibility for me. It's incredible.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Good points.
I agree with you that these terms need to be defined.
It never fails that in opinion threads like these, it doesn't take long before it becomes evident that every person has their own working definitions,
which don't appear to provide a cohesive basis for the discussion.

But judging by the name of this thread,
I would think there has already been a poll on the most emotionally un-stable type,
and it doesn't appear to be that scientific.
My vote is for 9s but that's not an option. :D

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can't believe someone voted for ENFP... This poll has lost all credibility for me. It's incredible.

Now that depends, if you define stability as a lack of abnormal emotional behaviour then the enfp wins hands down; We're normally rollercoastering up and down like yoyo's, thus that would stable!! :banana: In fact for an enfp to go extrememly quiet normally means something is very very very wrong...

(I didn't vote for any type before you think it was me!)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Now that depends, if you define stability as a lack of abnormal emotional behaviour then the enfp wins hands down; We're normally rollercoastering up and down like yoyo's, thus that would stable!! :banana: In fact for an enfp to go extrememly quiet normally means something is very very very wrong...

(I didn't vote for any type before you think it was me!)
Yes, all correct, hence emotionally unstable. ENFP=Fire/Water/Monster Truck; INTP=stone.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTPs.

Definitely not ISTJs. Have you seen an ISTJ react to disorganized *anything*, or a mess of some sort? Not pretty. And ISTJs do get mad if their plans get f*cked up, true! Haha. They just snap at you and get angry. It varies, and can be a silent, glaring kind of angry, or full-blown tirades at your incompetence.

I don't get why people think ISTJs are solid during high-pressure situations.
I may appear to be remain calm during high-pressure situations, but I'm actually a wreck. The only reason I can act, and not freak out during those kinds of emergencies is because I'm thinking of how to get out of that kind of bad situation. I guess ISTJs are just grounded to perform well.

But I am anything but emotionally stable. It takes me a long time to get used to the idea of change, unlike those cool, chill, go-with-the flow, Zen NTPs.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
To narrow it down, I think the most emotionally stable types are INTJ/ISTJ/INTP/ISTP.

What it means to be 'stable' for a given type is that they are less susceptible to emotional fluxuation. Emotions can become highly stressed when a lot of pressure is placed on them - especially when one has an extraverted relationship with the world. Thus, an 'IT', who naturally places less value on emotions than an 'F' and what is going on in the external world to which one has limited control over, is going to be comparatively more emotionally stable on a day to day basis.

I myself am an INTJ and my ex-girlfriend had even gone as far as to call me an alexithymic on a few occasions - not that she was any Miss. Affectionate herself.

One more thing. I was just looking at the results and I noticed ENFP got a few votes. That there are people out there who think that ENFPs are the most emotionally stable type truly baffles me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why are the INTJs winning do you think (apart from the fact that they always do)?

Because so many people have it in their head that any N type is Superman and flawless in every way. Statistically speaking, imaginative people tend to be more neurotic.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
But I am anything but emotionally stable. It takes me a long time to get used to the idea of change, unlike those cool, chill, go-with-the flow, Zen NTPs.

Change and INTPs? That isn't as smooth and easy as they let you think it is! It terrifies some of them! (all of the ones I know)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Change and INTPs? That isn't as smooth and easy as they let you think it is! It terrifies some of them! (all of the ones I know)
It's probably your proposed change which terrifies them. I'm totally serious. It's easy to get an INTP behind a change they approve of.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Maybe, but S does not see future in many cases so that can increase level of stres, concern and paranoia.

I would venture to guess that the stress, concern and paranoia comes from seeing the future rather than remaining blind to what can be.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that it is time to post something that I should have posted long ago.

This kind of analysis that is done in this thread does not mean anything if you don't take strenght of the letters into the consideration.

I would venture to guess that the stress concern and paranoia comes from seeing the future rather than remaining blind to what can be.

In the case that you can see future you would come across to, huge amount of darkness and abstract things so there would not be any point in being concerned.
While S loses its nerves becuse he/she can't find parking space.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This kind of analysis that is done in this thread does not mean anything if you don't take strength of the letters into the consideration.
Which is why I have been hoping BlueWing would post here.
He'd have us all straightened out in no time! :smile:

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I originally voted for INTJ, but then thought about functions and dynamics and changed my mind. I believe ESTJ is generally, the most emotionally stable. For instance, my mum who happens to be an ESTJ, is a nurse. Now there was this patient who was dying, and it wasn't exactly a pleasant death. I believe the woman was apparantly groaning and writhing in her bed, until she coughed up a load of black blood and died. I don't know about any other INTP, but I would draw a blank if I witnessed that. But my mum, no she was perfectly calm. Her Te taped baby Fe's bawling mouth shut, took control of the wheel and focused on tidying the body up, mopping the blood, etc. Her need for organising the scene completely shadowed the emotional stress of well, witnessing someone die rather horribly. The incident didn't even hit her until she got home, and even then she managed the stress healthily by talking about it, instead of bottling it up. After that, she went back to work the next day, as though nothing happened.

However, I'm guessing different crisis' might provoke emotional turmoil for different types.

EDIT: Lol, people voted for ENFP? Haha, um. no.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
This thread annoys the hell out of me.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Dude, seriously... that's incorrect. Change isn't the problem... never has been. It's competance that haunts the INTP.
"Will I make an arse out of myself if I do this...?"

Change is inevitable and there's nothing so exciting as a new problem to solve.... of course when people start going on about actually doing something... they're obviously not talking to me... I don't DO... that's someone else's department.

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The P/J dichotomy?

Dude, seriously... that's incorrect. Change isn't the problem... never has been. It's competance that haunts the INTP.
"Will I make an arse out of myself if I do this...?"

Change is inevitable and there's nothing so exciting as a new problem to solve.... of course when people start going on about actually doing something... they're obviously not talking to me... I don't DO... that's someone else's department.

Agreed, but 'life is what happens while we're busy making plans', and so the inevitable ingress of the J element. yes?