• INTJ

31 23.48%
  • INTP

30 22.73%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Nope, it's just the first step; that's where their less used thinking function comes in useful.
    Exactly, the one step is not all there is to handling it, especially if the person gets stuck right there, spinning the wheel.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I've appreciated the exchange between Jack and Gen.

I was comparing Jack's comment regarding his emotions and the way my ISTJ husband would(n't) describe his.

The difference would be, I think, that Jack recognizes that he is having uncomfortable feeling and uses his thought process to deal with them. That can be a healthy way of processing feeling.

My husband probably wouldn't recognize that he was having problematic emotion until he expressed it - ah, acted it out. I wouldn't be sure of this coment because discussing his feelings is an unusual thing for him to.

Through the years he's gotten very good at dealing with his emotions and appears to be a healthy, stable individual. But as an NF I have a natural bias toward early recognition and healthy expression.

Did I interpret you correctly?
    Yeah. Plus, I said somewhere before that I've noticed ISTJs blindsided by emotion.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know what they're teaching in grade school anymore. So maybe they are teaching more about dealing with feelings in a healthy way.

(My son once came home singing, "Feelings are so filthy. (healthy)" and that sounded about right to me and the way I was raised!) Yes. He's a Tee.

But it occurs to me that that first step of being able to recognize one's feelings state is one which could leave many "stuck." How many people even know what to do with an uncomfortable feeling besides act it out?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    But it occurs to me that that first step of being able to recognize one's feelings state is one which could leave many "stuck." How many people even know what to do with an uncomfortable feeling besides act it out?
    Is that true? Do most people think the only thing you can do with feelings, or maybe I'm aiming this at Ts, is act them out?

I always try to understand WHY i'm feeling the way I am, then I know whether I need to take action to avoid or encourage such feelings.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Most emotionally stable? Has nothing to do with type.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Is that true? Do most people think the only thing you can do with feelings, or maybe I'm aiming this at Ts, is act them out?

I always try to understand WHY i'm feeling the way I am, then I know whether I need to take action to avoid or encourage such feelings.
    That's an interesting question?
    I would think that the types that do act out their uncomfortable feelings would also be the ones who end up being on the list of "least emotionally stable".

Most of the time, I don't know what I'm feeling.
    But if I get a friend who will listen to me, and ask me questions,
    I can usually figure it out in about 10 minutes.

Take yesterday, for example, I was going around most of the day yesterday doing that "blowing" thing. It's sort of an involuntary breathing pattern where I take a deep breath and blow it out. I know that type of breathing is a symptom that means I'm stressed out, but in reality, I have no idea what concerns or worries are causing this stress. And until I get an empathetic listener to help me, I won't figure it out.

I wouldn't really care about it except that these days (in my old age) stress seems to be manifesting itself in nasty physical symptoms, so if I let it go too long, I start suffering even worse.

MBTI
    nnnn

Why are the INTJs winning do you think (apart from the fact that they always do)?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Most emotionally stable? Has nothing to do with type.
    Seriously?!

Hmm. That's interesting.
    Because MBTT doesn't measure emotional stability?
    I don't know... when people start manifesting their shadows,
    they are still quite predictable, generally speaking.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    Why are the INTJs winning do you think (apart from the fact that they always do)?
    Ha! Cool!

I used to be quite emotionally unstable, so I didn't bother voting for INTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Seriously?!

Hmm. That's interesting.
    Because MBTT doesn't measure emotional stability?
    I don't know... when people start manifesting their shadows,
    they are still quite predictable, generally speaking.
    Emotional stability would firstly depend upon how you define emotion and how you define stable. As has been esablished in many conversations though INTJs are very analytical (sometimes even leaving the whole "ytical" out completely) their results are still based on emotional bias and when called on it they can get quite irate. Such big red buttons I see as a sign of not being stable.

Now if we move towards stability being "less reactive to stressers" then again it depends upon what is stressing them. I've seen people who are laid back (supposedly) who get quite shirty about little things and people who are known to be hot heads remain calm. It's very dependant upon how much they care and how prepared they are.

I know that certain types leave themselves open to stress like ESTJs, ENFPs and so on but for a type immune to stress.. I don't think there is one. This whole stability thing is totally dependant upon definition, parameters and how much you read into things.

I just don't see it as a link which can be made to type any more than it can be made to circumstance, demeanour, enneagram, diet or any number of things. Emotional stability - type is a fad diet.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?