• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Richard Feynman: Ideal NT?

Usehername

On a mission
Has anyone else read his books? Anyone else familiar with him?

I really like this guy. Let's talk about him.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He was an ENTP and a Nobel Prize winning physicist as well as amateur painter and bongo player.

According to Wikipedia, he also had a meager 125 IQ. That seems a little low for a genius such as him.

Goes to show you that an IQ is about as meaningless as [insert witty analogy here].

He also died at the age of 69 -- more meaningful than any IQ score! ;)

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
He's excellent. I wrote a poem on INTPC somewhere about Far Rockaway.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
H
According to Wikipedia, he also had a meager 125 IQ. That seems a little low for a genius such as him.

Goes to show you that an IQ is about as meaningless as [insert witty analogy here].

He also died at the age of 69 -- more meaningful than any IQ score! ;)

I have a theory that IQ tests (very slightly) handicaps right brain thinkers (ENFPs, ENTPs, INFJ, INTJs etc) - because of their non linear or global thinking styles. I always found that some of the things I answered wrong as a child is because I imagined different interpretations instead of the more obvious meaning of some of the questions. I think ISTPs, INTPs, ENTJs, ESTJs are slightly inflated according to the standard IQ measurements.

Because of my weaker verbal ability (being right brained) - you guys might need some clarification on what I'm rambling about..

Logical Creativity or "Non Linear Logic" - INTP Central

Usehername

On a mission
I read somewhere that IQ tests basically test one's abstract thinking, aka "NT-ness".

Which means XNTX should have the upper hand.

What makes you think INTJs are right brained? the abstractness? I've always seen myself as more left-brained... just not Linear Left brained.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, typically they do test ability for abstract thinking, but from a common sense perspective.

A dominant N would more likely go with what is less obvious.

I think the INTP is probably the best when it comes to IQ scores because of their adeptness for analytic abstract logic.

eastern_enfp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Feynman is the God Physics Teacher that we've been too unlucky to know IRL.

Some of Leonard Susskind's lectures about him are very heartwarming and instructive and his daughter's recent talk at Caltech is an insight into Feynman the father. :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Feynman was a sexist who toyed with women socially, and was dismissive and disrespectful to women students in his classes. I have wondered recently how he would have fared in the "me too" climate. It is sad to think of the potential loss to physics had his career been derailed early on because of this sort of behavior. On the other hand, we will never know how many women were discouraged from pursuing careers in physics because of him, and what that loss might be.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think ideal anything is a silly concept that would actually restrict growth and creat rigidity, in an attempts to meet that "ideal NT".

Just be you, don't try to compare yourself with other NT. Because someone is always better than you, and you'll diminish your already low motivation.