• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] New graduate. All my "mentors" are idiots, and looking to get on a power trip. Help!

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
New graduate. All my "mentors" are idiots, and looking to get on a power trip. Help!

I'm a new Software Engineer. I just graduated within a year. Now, I'm new, but I've been coding for 10+ years, 6 of which were spent doing work for clients, so I'm actually very experienced for what my resume/age/title would indicate.

The problem I'm having is that the idiots I work with who are all at the Senior/Staff level are all trying to mentor me, and are imparting upon me knowledge that is absolute garbage. Also, as I'm the new/young guy, they are all getting on a power trip to "show me my place" whenever they get the chance. Why are they doing this? I think its because they realize that I'm not exactly stupid, or lacking in experience/knowledge, so they are trying to make themselves feel better after being constantly corrected/educated by this "dumb" new guy.

I don't want to dumb myself down, and I don't want to be dumbed down by what these idiots have to say. And as much as I've demonstrated competence in my field, they aren't easing up with the annoying speeches, bossy attitudes, childish gossip, etc,and I REALLY don't want to drown in the bullshit.

Gossip is a big one. These 30+ senior-level "mature" individuals are bad mouthing me with a vengeance behind my back. I can't turn a corner without hearing back about some shit being said about me.

Also, what I've noticed is that my manager has been continually hiring in Senior people that aren't very well qualified for their position. They are all very emotional, very flighty, very unreliable, and are just sucking the life out of me. I haven't been at this job a year yet, and already I want to fucking quit, and be done with it.

What do I do?

What is the standard approach to situations like these?

What plans should I make?

How did you respond when you were in situations like these?

What do you think is going on here?

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Apply to google or some other good tech firm if you think you're that damn good.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
Granted it's an employer's market from what I've heard, but if it's as bad as you say it is then I'd look for work elsewhere. No one likes to work for idiots, especially those that don't know they are idiots.

On the other hand you may want to take some time to think if you've been as cooperative as you could have been and that you're not overreacting to a few minor slights.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
An employer's market in TECH? Hah. That's a good one.

In finance? Yes. In tech? If you're talented and hardworking enough, you will get a position. Simple as that.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think you should leave. It sounds like a miserable working environment. I mean, you can try to stick it out for a year, but it does not seem like anything is going to change. It sounds like you are primarily dealing with character issues in addition to behavioral issues. You're going to run into idiots everywhere, but hopefully the majority of people you work with at your next job will have enough positive and entertaining qualities to diffuse their stupidity. It should be possible for you to find a job where your employer appreciates your skills and your coworkers are of a similar level of intelligence. Why would you stay?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think you should stop being a straight-outta-college snot nose and actually acknowledge that they may know something you don't. I mean really consider the possibility that they actually have some knowledge to impart upon you. I'm thinking they're sensing the astounding chip on your shoulder and reacting to your arrogance. I'm not saying that a substantial amount of management doesn't feel intimidated by a younger person's initiative or that they're not incompetent, it's just that your superiority towards them is palatable in your post and if you're anything like that IRL do you think their reactions towards you are surprising?

• If you see areas for improvement how are you phrasing your suggestions?
  • Are you balancing your criticism with positives?
  • Have you tried to see who's open to your suggestions and if they can help?
  • Are you easily dissuaded and discouraged about receptiveness towards your ideas?
  • When you are given the opportunity to express yourself do you take it?
  • Do you express your ideas at bad times, like when you're at a urinal with your boss?

Just to bring type into this, I notice two INPs I work with very rarely speak up at meetings even if they're outright asked what their opinion is or if they have suggestions. And both of them complain that their ideas and suggestions are ignored and rail against how stupid people are. Meetings are typically the forum when people throw out ideas and discuss matters. It's convenient because people are gathered in one place and feasibility and execution of ideas are discussed. I know it may not be natural to you, but you've got to be a little bit opportunistic and snatch these moments when they come to you.

Nothing is going on that doesn't typically go on in an office environment. Very few offices don't have some type of politicking. Some may exist but it's like spotting a pink dolphin. I confronted it when I got my first "real" job out of college a couple years ago. Boy has my bubble popped since then!! There are varying levels of politicking, some office games are so psychological and intense you need high-altitude training. I'm thankful that I work at a non-profit and not corporate. Non-profits tend to be a bit "softer" and not as competitive as for-profits.

If nothing else, you can use your current position as time to learn about what you want in and out of your next job.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you should stop being a straight-outta-college snot nose and actually acknowledge that they may know something you don't. I mean really consider the possibility that they actually have some knowledge to impart upon you. I'm thinking they're sensing the astounding chip on your shoulder and reacting to your arrogance. I'm not saying that a substantial amount of management doesn't feel intimidated by a younger person's initiative or that they're not incompetent, it's just that your superiority towards them is palatable in your post and if you're anything like that IRL do you think their reactions towards you are surprising?

• If you see areas for improvement how are you phrasing your suggestions?
  • Are you balancing your criticism with positives?
  • Have you tried to see who's open to your suggestions and if they can help?
  • Are you easily dissuaded and discouraged about receptiveness towards your ideas?
  • When you are given the opportunity to express yourself do you take it?
  • Do you express your ideas at bad times, like when you're at a urinal with your boss?

Just to bring type into this, I notice two INPs I work with very rarely speak up at meetings even if they're outright asked what their opinion is or if they have suggestions. And both of them complain that their ideas and suggestions are ignored and rail against how stupid people are. Meetings are typically the forum when people throw out ideas and discuss matters. It's convenient because people are gathered in one place and feasibility and execution of ideas are discussed. I know it may not be natural to you, but you've got to be a little bit opportunistic and snatch these moments when they come to you.

Nothing is going on that doesn't typically go on in an office environment. Very few offices don't have some type of politicking. Some may exist but it's like spotting a pink dolphin. I confronted it when I got my first "real" job out of college a couple years ago. Boy has my bubble popped since then!! There are varying levels of politicking, some office games are so psychological and intense you need high-altitude training. I'm thankful that I work at a non-profit and not corporate. Non-profits tend to be a bit "softer" and not as competitive as for-profits.

If nothing else, you can use your current position as time to learn about what you want in and out of your next job.

/seconded

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm a new Software Engineer. I just graduated within a year. Now, I'm new, but I've been coding for 10+ years, 6 of which were spent doing work for clients, so I'm actually very experienced for what my resume/age/title would indicate.

The problem I'm having is that the idiots I work with who are all at the Senior/Staff level are all trying to mentor me, and are imparting upon me knowledge that is absolute garbage. Also, as I'm the new/young guy, they are all getting on a power trip to "show me my place" whenever they get the chance. Why are they doing this? I think its because they realize that I'm not exactly stupid, or lacking in experience/knowledge, so they are trying to make themselves feel better after being constantly corrected/educated by this "dumb" new guy.

I don't want to dumb myself down, and I don't want to be dumbed down by what these idiots have to say. And as much as I've demonstrated competence in my field, they aren't easing up with the annoying speeches, bossy attitudes, childish gossip, etc,and I REALLY don't want to drown in the bullshit.

Gossip is a big one. These 30+ senior-level "mature" individuals are bad mouthing me with a vengeance behind my back. I can't turn a corner without hearing back about some shit being said about me.

Also, what I've noticed is that my manager has been continually hiring in Senior people that aren't very well qualified for their position. They are all very emotional, very flighty, very unreliable, and are just sucking the life out of me. I haven't been at this job a year yet, and already I want to fucking quit, and be done with it.

What do I do?

What is the standard approach to situations like these?

What plans should I make?

How did you respond when you were in situations like these?

What do you think is going on here?

Placate if you can. Ignore if you can. Prove your worth if you can, however society is very selfish at times. Basically if you think you have proven your worth, and can tactfully communicate that, yet they still treat you like a child per say. Screw them. Screw them all as you are better then that. There is always a better place when in that position.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do not indoctrinate high school boys ! xD