User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    nnnn

Default Why INTJs are Boring and INTPs Interesting?

Alright, so it struck me the other day that whenever I meet an INTP (I suspect this might be a more general NP thing, though), they are invariably interested in music, film, literature etc. They know all the obscure stuff and all the classics, they are passionate about and devoted to their (self-chosen) hobbies and enjoy finding hidden musical gems and "self-improvement" through exploring the stuff they are into (if they aren't naturally into something, that's another thing altogether).

The INTP will constantly ask me "Do you know x?" "Have you heard y?" etc. To which I'll almost always have to say "No...". After a while, it becomes irritating and I start feeling like an undereducated fool. I don't naturally have the urge to get engrossed in such things in the real world...I do not seek them out and most of the fun/interesting things I've come across I haven't found because I was looking for them, but because they were suggested to me or brought into my life by other people (including school). I'm open to everything they suggest and often feel very grateful for what they've added to my life, but I don't purposefully go looking for it, I just pick up what comes my way...possibly because the INTJ's primary function is a perceiving one whereas the INTP's is a judging one. You pick, we accept.

So...then I was thinking...what do I do with my time when I don't really work very hard and don't inherently have the need to do anything *overtly* interesting either? Basically, I daydream and I think. As opposed to Ne which appears to need tangible creative input, Ni is fine sitting in a silent window-less room and running its course like that. The entertainment system lies within and is much less visible to other people, ergo, the INTJ might be seen as boring. Mac was asking me about Star Wars, to which I replied I have Star Wars in my head, but that really does seem to be the case.

Anyways...recognisable? Comments?

I think it is quite simple.

We are J and they are Playful.

The more J, INTJ you are the more boring you are to average person.

Our "job" is to be aloof , abstract/rational and boring.

But if you want to go to depth we can be quite interesing.

(I am not saying that INTPs don't go to depth also)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think individiuals of both types can be boring... Intp s are even more in-thought due to IT/ IS combination, while an intj will seem as the aloof person... the problem is both types lack of interest in chitchat and social interaction etc,
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm an intensely private person, so people tend to project onto me how interesting they think I am. It's... interesting.

I think most of the issue is that INTJs 'can't take it with them,' and by this I mean knowledge. Even if an INTJ does do something interesting, when they try to talk about it, they seem to be grasping at straws. Because it's not applicable to the current situation, it's completely inaccessable. The only thing they can do that might be interesting is the way they put together what's in front of them.

INTPs, however, very much so can 'take it with them,' and indeed do. So this usually gives the appearance of an interesting person.

So... *shrug*
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    nnnn

Oh, yes, I defintiely suck at talking about the cool stuff I did. Only works when it's about ideas.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    Oh, yes, I defintiely suck at talking about the cool stuff I did. Only works when it's about ideas.
    Indeed, I've noticed I sometimes have to wring it out of an INTJ friend. They don't talk about their experiences so easily. I, however, see great conversational value in relating my experiences, so long as I can remember all the details.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uytuun View Post
    Alright, so it struck me the other day that whenever I meet an INTP (I suspect this might be a more general NP thing, though), they are invariably interested in music, film, literature etc. They know all the obscure stuff and all the classics, they are passionate about and devoted to their (self-chosen) hobbies and enjoy finding hidden musical gems and "self-improvement" through exploring the stuff they are into (if they aren't naturally into something, that's another thing altogether).

The INTP will constantly ask me "Do you know x?" "Have you heard y?" etc. To which I'll almost always have to say "No...". After a while, it becomes irritating and I start feeling like an undereducated fool. I don't naturally have the urge to get engrossed in such things in the real world...I do not seek them out and most of the fun/interesting things I've come across I haven't found because I was looking for them, but because they were suggested to me or brought into my life by other people (including school). I'm open to everything they suggest and often feel very grateful for what they've added to my life, but I don't purposefully go looking for it, I just pick up what comes my way...possibly because the INTJ's primary function is a perceiving one whereas the INTP's is a judging one. You pick, we accept.
    Going by this, I am more of an INTP than INTJ... I give my friends way too many music and film tips, and I find basically everything myself. I feel I annoy people and my friends with all my tips and that I overwhelm them, but I just want to share all my fantastic discoveries and to have someone to discuss them with... :P And yeah, I ask often if people have seen or heard this or that... Of late I actually have been a bit uncertain about whether I am J or P, but I really can't imagine Ti being my primary function, since I associate that with precise thought, and my head is rather messy, not bothering with what I see as details in the logic... Also I identify quite a lot with the pragmatism of Te, and I greatly value especially innovative and unbiased effectiveness.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Yeah I don't see this as a type thing. I'm quite passionate about the arts and will get out there to discover new and exciting stuff on my own *shrug*

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Yeah I don't see this as a type thing. I'm quite passionate about the arts and will get out there to discover new and exciting stuff on my own *shrug*
    It's not a matter of doing it, it's a matter of if one's able to talk about it later...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm an intensely private person, so people tend to project onto me how interesting they think I am. It's... interesting.

More annoying then interesting if you ask me.