User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    It was hammered into me very painfully at a 4-year military school. I have an almost fear-like reaction when I forget to do something that is required. Very effective brainwashing that gave me a moderately strong artificial J ... which kicks in when I need it (and even when I don't).
    Speaking of the military, I think there was no better place for others to bluntly tell me where my strong INTJ preferences and tendencies were in major contradiction to reality. Hence a steep learning curve, or brainwashing, as you mention, to neutralize my tendencies.

But then again, the effect has been to neutralize everything at work and then come home to be rebellious, or myself. My husband loves this...NOT.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Let's face it. Our Sensing function usually doesn't get any development until our 30s, at the earliest.

How do you deal with the real world of names, dates, and stubbed toes?
    Until recently, I have postponed doing my taxes until the latest moment possible, because of the anxiety of browsing thru my unsorted files of papers.

I forget peoples names, and I try to balance it by kindly and friendly asking them to remind them of them names when I meet them the second time.

I forgot appointments so that I try to minimize the number of them. Then I call up someone when I want to meet him/her.

I used to use a calendar to mark up my appointments. I forgot to open the calendar for a week, sometimes, so I forgot my appointments anyway.

I used to put my things-to-do on my computer desktop to remind me of them. Then I started to just mentally ignore what I was seeing in front of my eyes.

I tried to mark my appointments on my cell phone calendar to remind me, but writing them up was so tedious and the view of the events was so bad, that I gave up. I instead tried to continue memorize everything.

Now I have a bulletin board where I can attach notes for myself. It seems to work for me, for the time being.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

I suck at names. As for dates, that depends on what you mean by it. I have never dated (I'm 16). People are just way too shallow. If you mean dates as in a specific day, they dissappear for me until just in time to get it done.

Stubbed toes D: I've fucked up two toenails, and even lost them on some occasions (I walk fast).

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Generally I ignore it.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    Names...I try to talk to the person in a fashion where using their name is unnecessary. Dates...I don't know.

Stubbed toes generally involve me insulting myself/swearing under my breath until it stops hurting.
    I also do this while I go through the alphabet in my brain for a series of letter combinations that sound right and I can associate with the face. In class I keep pictures of students with their names in my roll because with on average 80-100 students it can take me all semester to remember any but the distinguished students (best AND worst! LOL)

I keep dates and times on my iPhone and Google Calendar - too easy to get distracted and forget otherwise.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Let's face it. Our Sensing function usually doesn't get any development until our 30s, at the earliest.

How do you deal with the real world of names, dates, and stubbed toes?
    I'm 19, so let's see: I can get around remembering names; just remember there's a method to getting people to say their name after they've already told you.

Dates? Like remembering deadlines or going on a date? Deadlines are easy– I know I'll forget something, so I'll stop and repeat in my head what needs to be done tomorrow many times a day. I don't set times to do them, but I have my list, which is usually good enough.

Dating? I find dating lame. I love taking girls out to dinner or a movie, but I can't think of the last time I simply presented to a girl as someone that likes them and wants to "go on a date." I'm probably not mature enough to do that, actually. I'd rather just hang out with a girl I've hung out with before and realize the "something" there, and see what happens. I'm in college. C'mon.

Stubbed toes? Funny you should say that as it happened to me playing soccer yesterday. And I'm so out of shape that my legs are killing to me. Stairs didn't help either. I don't like physical pain, but I do like the feeling of working out or exercising. I've been doing this lately: instead of taking a walk outside to think about the things that trouble me, I tend to get up and play basketball or soccer. I have learned that if I feel physically accomplished, I have more of a reason to do more activities that involve heavy thinking and creativity.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INTP

I've noticed lately that I'm in a perpetual state of brain dumping information that I don't seek out. The second I hear a name, gone; get told to do something in detail, I have to piece together what it is I'm suppose to do; give me a list of tasks, I'll finish the last thing said and forget the rest. This is trouble some at my job, and Aircraft mechanic, which usually means someone double checks me and points out all the little things I did wrong or forgot to do.

Also, I'm terrible with dates. I forget just about every holiday, birthday, or any other significant date for that matter. The only thing I tend to remember are when my bills are due, or an important deadline, which I tend to dwell on.

I do have a high tolerance for pain. Like other have said, I notice cuts and bruises and have no idea where they come from. When my body is experience pain I tend to analyze what exactly I'm feeling, tell myself that it's just my bodies reaction, then shrug it off. No joke, about 8 months ago I got stabbed in and out my arm, into my side, puncturing my lung. It wasn't until someone pointed out to me that I was bleeding that I realized what happened. I actually kind of enjoy pain, so I might just be weird in that sense.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Why would this be necessarily the case? ENTJs and INTPs are S-tertiary. My own tertiary has been highly developed since my late teens, I assume other very intelligent people have that capacity as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

What's reality?
    I can't remember names for the life of me. I forgot my boss' name the other day, and I knew her for a while.
    I don't like deadlines. They give me nightmares, although lately they have been giving me a wonderful sleep pattern which for some reason I'm breaking tonight.
    I don't believe in dating at my age, or for myself at any age. If I date, I date to get things from other people. Yes, heartless I know, but really? I don't understand how people can trust others so easily and give themselves up for someone they might not even truly know. Plus, I have never dated, because I'm not actually that heartless just to use someone. My overwhelming Fe keeps me at bay.
    And as for pain? Usually I ignore it, I'll make a comment about it maybe, because I won't realize it until after a while, like 'Oh hey, my head's bleeding. Cool.' Although this terrible, yet shiny burn on my legs has been irksome.

How do I deal with reality? I shove it down my own throat with a pipe, like they used to load those old guns with gun powder... and then I become depressed.

But really, apparently I've always been a little--blind? or hyperfocused?--to reality. I've been in more car accidents than is probably "normal." I've wondered if I'm ADD. On the whole, though, as far as living life goes, I do fairly well.

I don't know the trick to remembering names or dates. I've been able to remember eight people's names and faces in a row before and rattle them off at will later in the night, to their astonishment, but I forget how I did that. It's probably just wanting enough to remember--seeing the importance of it in making people feel good--and then just rehearsing and repeating the names a little in your mind directly after being introduced, then a few times again throughout the night. It's a memory trick, not a magic trick. And not even a trick.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love