User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default INTJs and spelling

Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.
    I don't know. I think J types might be more inclined to "fix things" they don't like....

... but I'm definitely not J and I feel an urge to fix all the typos I see. (I even tweak other people's posts sometimes in the "quote" block when I respond, if I see a misspelling.) Then again, I take writing seriously and have worked in the industry for years, so it's been beaten into me.

But I can think of other P types who write who have the same response. You could probably differentiate between "Writer" and "non-writer" rather than P vs. J. Errors are just... distracting.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Interesting observation. Every writer / editor I've known beyond "hi how are you" (small talk!) has been a "J" - deadlines? Then again most have been copy editors.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Interesting observation. Every writer / editor I've known beyond "hi how are you" (small talk!) has been a "J" - deadlines? Then again most have been copy editors.
    Well, P's do the writing and editing thing too. But deadlines are a bit harder.

The P factor tends to procrastinate until the last minute. J's probably are better managers of OTHER people's time (i.e., managing editors) and keeping adherence to deadline, P's are better at taking care of themselves and getting things done just under the wire but (especially IPs) don't really like monitoring and managing OTHER people's adherence to schedule.

(And that is what happens in my job. I seem to fritter away time, until the deadline gets close, and suddenly I can judge how much time I need to finish something... or the time limit determines how extensive my editing/writing is.)

...Interesting observation...
    Wait -- You just didn't say "!&@^#!&* you" to me, did you?!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a P and I have to fight the urge to correct.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Interesting observation...
    Wait -- You just didn't say "!&@^#!&* you" to me, did you?!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

i really dislike typos/spelling errors. although i probably don't proof my stuff enough to show it.

i know a few intjs though who just are terrible spellers. the majority are "upper class" spellers, i guess.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh yes. I hate grammatical, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization errors...especially when they're made by me. I also hate abbreviations on forums and I make them as infrequent as possible. This is also why I hate IM, although I'm more laid back about it now than I used to be.

It might be a xxTJ combination.

In theory, though, this could be rooted in an S function. NTs tend to be the worst at nitpicking, because of their need for logic. But since they also have a less developed S function, they will probably more likely use it in an unproductive manner -- such as nitpicking. Because I don't see many Sensors having problems with nitpicking.

Also, I think an underdeveloped S function is also the root of many NTs' desires to collect useless knowledge, such as statistics -- a lot of NTs are good at memorizing these kinds of facts, including myself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

This seems like one of those things MBTI would only weakly associate with, more important would be upbringing, job, etc.

I tend to notice misspellings right away, except with odd words like "its" vs. "It's", but as long as the word is readable, it doesn't bug me more than me wondering why someone didn't spell it right the first time. What's more annoying is when people get hung up on spellings and other typos so much that they stop in their tracks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I hate when people mix up the words they're, there, and their.

Js are better at memorizing rules, and those are rules of spelling.