• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and spelling

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have the urge to correct spelling all the time...especially on the internet where it is rampant. I don't curtail my urge as often as I'd like, either. I just feel that if someone is a poor speller then they are either careless or dim. I know that's not a very good trait, but I can't help it. I feel like text messages and internet chat have degraded spelling a great deal, and "Who cares, you know what I meant" as a response sets me off.

I feel as though I've found my long lost twin. :wubbie:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I take notice of misspellings and grammatical errors, but unless the person claims to be an expert linguist, I rarely bring it to their attention.

. . . unless it's a funny error like spelling "cunt" instead of "bunt." Then it's my duty to mention it.

<snort>

I don't correct them, the urge is always there, however. It annoys the crap out of me. Like a mosquito bite on your ankle, under a sock.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Besides, "cunt" is a deeper word with so many meanings! :D

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah I find INTJs, ENFJs, ENTJs and INTPs the most put off by poor grammer. I find INFJs put off only by their own poor grammer (less so in others).

It's strange, but I find INTPs the only ones to be sticklers about grammar and spelling (out of the Ps).

MBTI Type
ENTP
The only time i seriously get pissed about poor spelling is if I see it in a publication. In that event, someone's not doing their job.

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
It infuriates me, and the only reason I repress the urge is my own inferior writing skills.

Kanamori

I don't think it's a big deal. If people understand what's being said or written then it's done what it's meant to do.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think it's a big deal. If people understand what's being said or written then it's done what it's meant to do.

If that is true, why do people get angry with misspellings and typos on printed advertisements, wedding invitations, diplomas, trophies and newspaper stories? I'm pretty sure the general meaning is clear in all these cases. The reason is because it looks sloppy and careless, and makes a bad impression. We should all be held to the same standards.

Kanamori

We're talking about why the anger is justified... it's a huge jump to say there's some reason in the sky why everyone needs to be held to the same standards, and another one to say people should be angry if others fail to meet those standards. The errors don't cause any problem, the meaning was understood; people get angry over stupid stuff. And sorry, but if I'm going to debate with anyone it will be something that's worth my time, and I could learn something from, but not about whether or not we're justified in getting angry over spelling mistakes.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me :blush: I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.
Linguistically, there is no misspelling or bad grammar.
Beyond that, to be offended by a variation in natural expression is a sign of misguided national spirit or philistine prejudice.

Let people pronounce and write the way they pronounce and write.

To think otherwise is to succumb to authority.

A bunch of thieves.

Before Shakespeare and James the vernacular was free.

Tick on. Do not tick off.
Embrace the world.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Linguistically, there is no misspelling or bad grammar.
Beyond that, to be offended by a variation in natural expression is a sign of misguided national spirit or philistine prejudice.

Let people pronounce and write the way they pronounce and write.

To think otherwise is to succumb to authority.

A bunch of thieves.

Before Shakespeare and James the vernacular was free.

Tick on. Do not tick off.
Embrace the world.

This sounds very convenient in a one world/I'm okay, you're okay/60s halcyon sense. How can you make a political judgement about misguided national spirit based on how some people react to others that can't be bothered to reach for a dictionary? I'm not interested in breaking people's balls unnecessarily, just valuing clarity of expression and precision of language over obfuscation.