• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and spelling

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me :blush: I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me :blush: I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.

I don't know. I think J types might be more inclined to "fix things" they don't like....

... but I'm definitely not J and I feel an urge to fix all the typos I see. (I even tweak other people's posts sometimes in the "quote" block when I respond, if I see a misspelling.) Then again, I take writing seriously and have worked in the industry for years, so it's been beaten into me.

But I can think of other P types who write who have the same response. You could probably differentiate between "Writer" and "non-writer" rather than P vs. J. Errors are just... distracting.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Interesting observation. Every writer / editor I've known beyond "hi how are you" (small talk!) has been a "J" - deadlines? Then again most have been copy editors.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting observation. Every writer / editor I've known beyond "hi how are you" (small talk!) has been a "J" - deadlines? Then again most have been copy editors.

Well, P's do the writing and editing thing too. But deadlines are a bit harder. :)

The P factor tends to procrastinate until the last minute. J's probably are better managers of OTHER people's time (i.e., managing editors) and keeping adherence to deadline, P's are better at taking care of themselves and getting things done just under the wire but (especially IPs) don't really like monitoring and managing OTHER people's adherence to schedule.

(And that is what happens in my job. I seem to fritter away time, until the deadline gets close, and suddenly I can judge how much time I need to finish something... or the time limit determines how extensive my editing/writing is.)

...Interesting observation...

Wait -- You just didn't say "!&@^#!&* you" to me, did you?!

Usehername

On a mission
i really dislike typos/spelling errors. although i probably don't proof my stuff enough to show it.

i know a few intjs though who just are terrible spellers. the majority are "upper class" spellers, i guess.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes. I hate grammatical, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization errors...especially when they're made by me. I also hate abbreviations on forums and I make them as infrequent as possible. This is also why I hate IM, although I'm more laid back about it now than I used to be.

It might be a xxTJ combination.

In theory, though, this could be rooted in an S function. NTs tend to be the worst at nitpicking, because of their need for logic. But since they also have a less developed S function, they will probably more likely use it in an unproductive manner -- such as nitpicking. Because I don't see many Sensors having problems with nitpicking.

Also, I think an underdeveloped S function is also the root of many NTs' desires to collect useless knowledge, such as statistics -- a lot of NTs are good at memorizing these kinds of facts, including myself.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
This seems like one of those things MBTI would only weakly associate with, more important would be upbringing, job, etc.

I tend to notice misspellings right away, except with odd words like "its" vs. "It's", but as long as the word is readable, it doesn't bug me more than me wondering why someone didn't spell it right the first time. What's more annoying is when people get hung up on spellings and other typos so much that they stop in their tracks.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate when people mix up the words they're, there, and their.

Js are better at memorizing rules, and those are rules of spelling.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
It bothers me a bit, but not that much. And I'm about as P as you can get. If the person normally has a good track record and consistently misspells the same words then I sometimes wonder if I should say something. But I have enough trouble of my own deciding whether to choose US or British spelling.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm an INTP, and deeply offended by poor spelling.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
In theory, though, this could be rooted in an S function. NTs tend to be the worst at nitpicking, because of their need for logic. But since they also have a less developed S function, they will probably more likely use it in an unproductive manner -- such as nitpicking. Because I don't see many Sensors having problems with nitpicking.

Also, I think an underdeveloped S function is also the root of many NTs' desires to collect useless knowledge, such as statistics -- a lot of NTs are good at memorizing these kinds of facts, including myself.

Very intriguing (see, not Interesting, Economica). The man who drives me crazy is an ISTJ and he's The Master of Useless Knowledge, aka Cliff Claven. The only person who can keep up with him is me. I've wondered since SJ and NT's are a lot more different than you'd think being one letter apart (Something I've had to explain over and over again to my Guardian). Hmmmp. Thank you.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very intriguing (see, not Interesting, Economica). The man who drives me crazy is an ISTJ and he's The Master of Useless Knowledge, aka Cliff Claven. The only person who can keep up with him is me. I've wondered since SJ and NT's are a lot more different than you'd think being one letter apart (Something I've had to explain over and over again to my Guardian). Hmmmp. Thank you.

Haha!! Never really watched Cheers, though.

But the NT temperament is considered the knowledge-seeking personality.

Although, I intuit a difference between "crossword puzzle" knowledgeable and scholarly. I think the SJ might be adept at "general knowledge" because their minds instinctively collect factual knowledge.

When the NT collects knowledge, he/she will more likely go deeper than what is obvious -- looking for the meaning beyond the surface. The NT will probably appear more bookish and specialized, which would likely be laced with trivia, as well. The SJ will probably be more interested in the facts as they see them, but probably less driven in knowing the meanings and technicalities of those facts.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have the urge to correct spelling all the time...especially on the internet where it is rampant. I don't curtail my urge as often as I'd like, either. I just feel that if someone is a poor speller then they are either careless or dim. I know that's not a very good trait, but I can't help it. I feel like text messages and internet chat have degraded spelling a great deal, and "Who cares, you know what I meant" as a response sets me off.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another thing I always hated was writing past the margins on notebook paper.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Yeesh. You people have serious control issues, says the J. :coffee:

I take notice of misspellings and grammatical errors, but unless the person claims to be an expert linguist, I rarely bring it to their attention.

. . . unless it's a funny error like spelling "cunt" instead of "bunt." Then it's my duty to mention it.

BlackMita

I dont relly cair about speling.

Same with grammar, but probably because I am severely underpractised in the art of communication (both in writing and speech).