User Tag List

First 567

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.
    There is a name for this, and it is the standard in most of the English-speaking world to put them inside, while among a certain subset of writers (computer people and technical writers, primarily) the reverse is true. It's a similar thing to the capitalization rules being bent for variable names (Java has naming conventions that try to reduce this, curiously-enough, which have been adopted in many modern OO languages). Your normal method is taking the world by storm and has all-but consumed the rest of the English-speaking world at this point.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    the most anal I have observed are ISTJs.
    Oh yeah. My husband has cancelled subscriptions to five newspapers (a local one he's cancelled twice) because of typos, paragraphs that end on one page never to be continued and misspelled names - proper names of the people the articles are about.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Brytysh and Amerikan?

The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I decided that rule was nonsensical, so I punctuate like you do in this case. As a precise pedant, I guess I'm violating my own ethic, but in this case I really do think we know better

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I decided that rule was nonsensical, so I punctuate like you do in this case. As a precise pedant, I guess I'm violating my own ethic, but in this case I really do think we know better
    Fi strikes again?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Grammar and spelling are arbitrary things meant to make people waste time. I will change the rules when I see fit. I will not care about mistakes.

That is all.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Fi strikes again?
    I really have to look up "Fi", "Fe", "Te" and all these other things that look more at home coming out of Julie Andrews' mouth in "The Sound Of Music". I will know what is going on here a lot more

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I really have to look up "Fi", "Fe", "Te" and all these other things that look more at home coming out of Julie Andrews' mouth in "The Sound Of Music". I will know what is going on here a lot more
    Back when I first started coming to the sister site that this site grew out of (INTP Central, which partially explains why our cup runneth over with NTs here), I would always think of Jack & the Beanstalk when the Fe Fi Ne Ni stuff came up.

Extraverted Sensing
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's going to be difficult to find them if you don't already know, so here:

Ni = Introverted Intuition

Ne = Extraverted Intuition

Ti = Introverted Thinking

Te = Extraverted Thinking

Fi = Introverted Feeling

Fe = Extraverted Feeling

Si = Introverted Sensing

Se = Extraverted Sensing

Definitions of the 8 functions vary. The main three that you should look at are the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, and perhaps even the original Jungian descriptions. Most people identify themselves with one set, and reject the others, because each definition of the functions is noticeably different, and no one has managed to resolve the ambiguity.

Yeah, I'm an ISTJ, and I used to be so bad about that stuff as a kid that my mom and sister used to call me "Mrs. Correct-All". It still bothers me, but I've learned to try to just silently chuckle at these people's lack of (especially) spelling skills to myself rather than calling them out for it.... It works... sometimes....

MBTI
    INTJ

My grandfather enjoyed bugging me with this as a child. I remember one particular time, around the holidays, when they had decorative "Merry Christmas" wooden blocks on display. He had rearranged the letters to spell "Christmas" incorrectly, and laughed when it took about 30 seconds for me to realize the error and rearrange the blocks.