User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    It is, I didn't realise that even punctuation differed in America, it took me my suprise when I first found out that they spelled things differently too.

Color-Colour
    Potato-Potatoe

When I was younger I just assumed Americans were richer British people.
    That sort of took me by surprise as well. (I'll bet you'd all hate to have me as an English teacher, wouldn't you?)

What's even worse, I think the Canadians actually mix the British and American grammars. :eek:

I once graded another student's essay while I was in a really petty mood, and I was so exacting that I was nicknamed "The grammarian from Hades." (Guess why?)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That surprised me too. (I'll bet you'd all hate to have me as an English teacher, wouldn't you?)

What's even worse, I think the Canadians actually mix the British and American grammar. :eek:

I once graded another student's essay while I was in a really petty mood, and I was so exacting that I was nicknamed "The grammarian from Hades." (Guess why?)
    Haha, I blame my new keyboard for all my numerous spelling mistakes around the forum lol.

I would have liked to have you as a teacher actually, I always liked the stricter ones, they got more out of me.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    XNTX

It is, I didn't realise that even punctuation differed in America, it took me my suprise when I first found out that they spelled things differently too.

Color-Colour
    Potato-Potatoe

Before I went over to Europe, I believed Europeans were like the British, just spoke different languages.

Well, Europeans are as different as their languages.

In terms of American's, they're somewhere between the two, half of America I'd say is of British descent and the other half Europeans. (Well, not exactly including all the other nationalities that arrived by force or otherwise after the initial migration!).

MBTI
    XNTX

but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.

I fear that just as English evolved from Olde English, it may evolve into text speak too.
    Don't think so, it might become recognized as a minority language on the list with all the others at the social welfare collection centre.

We are more likely to see English roll out into Eastern Europe and in so doing a number of their words becoming incorporated into our language. However, given the huge interconnection between English speaking countries (Via the net, news and so forth) any new words will get passed around.

MBTI
    WOLF

I hate making spelling and grammatical mistakes. Unfortunately, I find errors in my language quite often.

I also hate seeing them in other people's work, but usually I'll refrain from commenting on it.

I love my dictionaries and dictionary.com. I will often use one, then verify with the other. I enjoy leafing through dictionaries, both in English and in my native tongue.

I work as a receptionist at a newspaper a few hours a week to pay the bills (I'm a student) and I'm always amazed at all the errors in press releases and other assorted e-mails. Sometimes I'll find myself poised over a newspaper with a red pen, correcting as I read. When I'm alone, I'll correct the newsreader on tv and I'll get upset over typos in books.

And this is coming from a P

MBTI
    INTJ

Color-Colour
    Potato-Potatoe

Try living in a country where they're not sure if they want to use British spelling or American spelling. Oy.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Try living in a country where they're not sure if they want to use British spelling or American spelling. Oy.
    Brytysh and Amerikan?

The comma thing inside quotes irks me. If something is in quotes, to me it should be part of the word or phrase. If it's not (i.e., if it's punctuation), it should go outside.

But the US seems backwards that way. I had to work very hard to accustom myself to that rule.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Jen, it's not at all black and white. Very gray grey. Very annoying.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    XNTX

Besides being initially poor at spelling (Because of associative issues I've mentioned earlier) I am absolutely rubbish at remembering people’s names.

How can I sit beside people for months and can't recollect their names? It’s the same as spelling, I'm trying to draw that word from my mind.... and can I find it?...Nup.

Also, I get introduced to people... and their names get junked in my mind instantaneously... It’s like "boring" and binned immediately.. My brain is engaged in some other more important thought process. or perhaps more likely I can only retain a small amount of discrete unconnected information, names and spellings are just too much.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    This seems like one of those things MBTI would only weakly associate with, more important would be upbringing, job, etc.
    Agreed. However there is a difference in misspelling and misusage of a word. As for the question, Joe Butts from typelogic.com says
    Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists.
    From that standpoint, J/P has nothing to do with it, although the most anal I have observed are ISTJs.