User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Before Shakespeare and James the vernacular was free.
    Not so. Under Henry V, the written language was standardized.

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    This sounds very convenient in a one world/I'm okay, you're okay/60s halcyon sense.
    Which is uncharacteristic, as Wildcat is punctilious about cognitive functions.

MBTI
    INTP

I hate bad spelling/typos too and I'm a P (at least I think I am).

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Do misspelled words and bad grammar tick you off? Do you have to fight the urge to correct? Or is it really Just Me I *think* it's a J thing - wanting things done a certain way.
    Oh my God, I freak out when I misspell. Honestly, I beat myself up. Half the edits I have in this forum are due to misspellings. Most people could give a you-know-what but not me. I'll beat myself up and I can't be still until I correct it.

MBTI
    XNTX

I found a lot of NT's to be quite poor at spelling (Esp those in the IT industry).

Basically its a function of 1) That spelling isn't important to the grand scheme of things to covey information (Priority on information gathering as opposed to conformance). 2) And a theory of mine that if you are "intuitive" and tend for your mind to recollect and attach on an associative basis, then its really hard to spell correctly as words don't connect, they are discrete points of information and soak up too much memory... and you can only short term recollect so much information (They can't soak into your long term memory as they are not connective to any other associated knowledge).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know if this is helpful, but I not only obsess over spelling and punctuation, I obsess over definition as well. In other words, if I'm not sure that I know exactly what a word means, I look it up first. I've even gone back and edited my posts on numerous occasions just because I thought of a better way to word something after posting. I also felt very sick to my stomach when a history teacher spoke of the the Imperial diet (pronounced dee-et), but mispronounced it as diet (dye-it). However, I didn't correct her because she was the teacher, and I felt that I didn't have the authority to do so.

In a similar vein, I once felt irritated when a friend of mine sent me a private message referring to a previous private message as an e-mail. So irritated in fact that I actually typed a description of how the forum's private messages worked, and how e-mail worked, and carefully explained why they weren't synonymous. But then I decided not to send it for fear of eliciting offense. (Although later on when I found out they weren't easily offended by such things, I went ahead and sent it.)

So, I'm probably the worst about this, for what it's worth.

MBTI
    INFP

I corrected a teacher on her spelling a couple of times infront of the rest of the class, needless to say she was not impressed with me.

I'm not bothered so much by bad spelling, especially in a forum, as sometimes it's more of a typo, and not that they just can't spell.

What I hate is text speak, I absolutely detest watching language bastardized to such an extent, I may use the LOL one, but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.

I fear that just as English evolved from Olde English, it may evolve into text speak too.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    What I hate is text speak, I absolutely detest watching language bastardized to such an extent, I may use the LOL one, but I can;t do that whole "4eva" "2day" crap that I see being used by so many of the younger crowd.
    Sahara, you accidentally used a semicolon instead of an apostrophe in the word "can't." Just pointing that out.

I fear that just as English evolved from Olde English, it may evolve into text speak too.
    I share your concern. That's part of why every time someone asks me, "What's up?," I tell them that it's the opposite of down.

(Was I right to include a comma inside the quotation marks after the question mark in American English? I think I did it right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know? It's driving me insane.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Sahara, you accidentally used a semicolon instead of an apostrophe in the word "can't". Just pointing that out.
    I do that all the time if you notice, it's when I am trying to touch type, my little finger on the right hand hits the wrong key all the time.

(Was I right to include a comma inside the quotation marks after the question mark? I think I did it right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?)
    I think the comma comes after the quotation marks, but don't quote me on that, my spelling is better than my punctuation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I think the comma comes after the quotation marks, but don't quote me on that, my spelling is better than my punctuation.
    Actually, that's right in your case. You're British, and in Britain they place the terminating punctuation outside the quotation marks. (Which I actually think is more logical.) In America, they have rules about when you should place it inside, and when you should place it outside the quotation marks. (Confusing, isn't it?)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Actually, that's right in your case. You're British, and in Britain they place the terminating punctuation outside the quotation marks. (Which I actually think is more logical.) In America, they have rules about when you should place it inside, and when you should place it outside the quotation marks. (Confusing, isn't it?)

It is, I didn't realise that even punctuation differed in America, it took me my suprise when I first found out that they spelled things differently too.

Color-Colour
    Potato-Potatoe

When I was younger I just assumed Americans were richer British people.