User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Default Do INTPs enjoy messing with people?

And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't ever want to argue, yet I've been told I like to argue, which normally turns into an arguement.
    Quote me.

I mean... Wait, what?

"You have to make the right choice. As long as you don’t choose, everything remains possible”-9 Year Old Nemo"

“In chess, it’s called Zugzwang… when the only viable move, is not to move at all.”- 9 Year Old Nemo
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?
    That's an ENTP trait.

For me, and this pretty much explains my indecisiveness, I argue internally. Sometimes I'll fall out with myself.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    That's an ENTP trait

For me, and this pretty much explains my indecisiveness, I argue internally. Sometimes I'll fall out with myself.
    Internal arguement.... Ahhhhh I under looked the question.

Now internal arguements I'm guilty of, all jokes aside
    Likes Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't really like real interpersonal conflict much, but I will lob some balls into a discussion just to see HOW someone responds... not just the content, but how the content is delivered, what their assumptions are, etc. (It's kind of like testing the boundaries of the argument for weaknesses, tap-tapping away.) So I guess I am guilty in that regard. Test, test, test... I want to know where someone is coming from, but often they don't reveal that until you change up the conversation or come at them from an unexpected angle.

I think for Ti people there's a focus directly on the ideas (versus all the interpersonal stuff, until you've been bitten in the butt by it enough and are aware of it and realize the impact... some choose to not care anyway, some choose to avoid going there to save themselves grief), so they can come off as "argumentative" because they're just "testing the ideas" whereas for others, they are more focused on all the other aspects of the conversation and what is appropriate or considerate versus not.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes N/A, Luke O, INTPhonetics liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Seems like it would depend on the INTP. The INTPs I know like playing devil's advocate, but that's not "messing with people" necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    My INTP roommate told me the other day that she has literally made herself cry, during hypothetical arguments in her own head.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Luke O, JocktheMotie liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    My INTP roommate told me the other day that she has literally made herself cry, during hypothetical arguments in her own head.

Breaking up [with oneself] is hard to do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes EJCC, Luke O liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by laurapants08 View Post
    I don't ever want to argue, yet I've been told I like to argue, which normally turns into an arguement.
    The initial "C" in my nick stands for Contentious. Contentious Jeopardy Woolf is one of my names my wife calls me. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Breaking up [with oneself] is hard to do.
    Some people would be better off if if they did!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yeah I tend to tear myself apart with internal arguments, but I also tear other people up with external arguments. I am hard on other people in my real life, but I would never be harder on them than I am on myself. Is it possible to be an introverted ENTP... I know not really but still...
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't really like real interpersonal conflict much, but I will lob some balls into a discussion just to see HOW someone responds... not just the content, but how the content is delivered, what their assumptions are, etc. (It's kind of like testing the boundaries of the argument for weaknesses, tap-tapping away.) So I guess I am guilty in that regard. Test, test, test... I want to know where someone is coming from, but often they don't reveal that until you change up the conversation or come at them from an unexpected angle.

I think for Ti people there's a focus directly on the ideas (versus all the interpersonal stuff, until you've been bitten in the butt by it enough and are aware of it and realize the impact... some choose to not care anyway, some choose to avoid going there to save themselves grief), so they can come off as "argumentative" because they're just "testing the ideas" whereas for others, they are more focused on all the other aspects of the conversation and what is appropriate or considerate versus not.
    I would say that I don't seek out conflict in most cases, but I am loathe to filter myself, and this is what causes problems for me. I understand that it's expected to keep silent, and yet, I consider that to be almost immoral, so I find it difficult to do. I have learned to do this for expediency in work environments, but in other contexts, I am reluctant to hold things back. Perhaps that's a failing, but I feel that I'm not doing family members a service by shielding them from the root of their problems. For instance, if someone is complaining incessantly about how helpless they are because of back pain, but they were ignoring advice by their physical therapist to do exercise, I'm going to tell them to listen to their therapist. Coddling them won't help them feel any better in the long run.

Sometimes, I suppose, I do get confrontational with people if I can see that they are full of shit, and everyone else seems to be taken in by the illusion. I truly have a hard time seeing why I should just let that go in a social setting. I'll shut my mouth to keep my job, but in social environments, that's a different matter. I almost consider it distasteful to pretend as though the way someone is acting isn't bothering me immensely.

When I see someone that I think is full of shit, I will test them, to see if my suspicions are right. If this is confirmed, then it's hard for me to just let things slide, especially if they're flinging their garbage in my direction (which is usually the case).

I suppose I also get into trouble because if I am accused of something, I'm not going to accept someone's accusations if they don't make any sense. If I am guilty, you should be able to tell me what I am guilty of. If it's "not about morality" then you should be able to explain what problems I've been causing and how I can prevent them. Expecting me to just "figure it out" through contemplation isn't going to work. You have to articulate yourself; I am not perfect, but not all criticisms have merit. I am not going to feel guilty or penitent over baseless bullshit. This is something that, I suppose, can be seen as argumentative, because it's not respectful of "authoritah."

I don't set out to make uncomfortable or do it just for the sport. On rare occasions where I do so deliberately, it's because I perceive (and I've gotten better at perceiving this correctly) that someone's being screwing with me. This may or may not be the proper way to go about things. The other times I've been "argumentative" have either come from a place of trying to provide people with advice so that they can stop wallowing in despair, or because I don't accept the proposition that all ideas and criticisms have merit.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Totenkindly, N/A liked this post