User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Yep, but if you are able to give a proper rationale, then it depends on the other persons level of intelligence whether or not it turns into a debate.

But then what will you do if i do this: "Chocolate ice cream tastes the best" and then give you this proof; "chocolate is the way to go as over one-quarter (28%) say it is one of their two favorite ice cream flavors followed by vanilla (26%) and cookie dough/cookies and cream (22%). These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,183 adults surveyed online between July 11 and 18, 2011 by Harris Interactive." ?
    There's the counterargument that "they must have not surveyed the right people/right amount of people. If they did they'd find out mint chip is the most popular" etc people say anything to try and counter evidence...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I bitched at a waiter once that no coke was not acceptable, I asked for a pepsi and the customer is always right. She was not amused. Not that proud of that one though, it was kind of obvious and not that inspired.
    "Coke, please"
    "Will Pepsi do, sir?"
    "That depends: Can I pay with monopoly money?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    There's the counterargument that "they must have not surveyed the right people/right amount of people. If they did they'd find out mint chip is the most popular" etc people say anything to try and counter evidence...
    It doesent disprove the argument, it just puts the evidence into question. However im sure that there is more evidence supporting the fact that chocolate is the best, also there is no evidence supporting your hypothesis that they did not survey enough or right people. Now what if i would come up with more evidence of this?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

It doesent disprove the argument, it just puts the evidence into question. However im sure that there is more evidence supporting the fact that chocolate is the best, also there is no evidence supporting your hypothesis that they did not survey enough or right people. Now what if i would come up with more evidence of this?

You would probably need to do a census of everybody and document their favorite flavor of icecream. If you play your cards right you may be able to analyze statistics provided in a sample and then estimate a proportion of a parameter of the popularion against your sample. But if you want a real definative answer you would probably have to resont to a census of the earths population, even with this you would probably come into problems with people comparing results against cultures, ages, timeframe ect.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You would probably need to do a census of everybody and document their favorite flavor of icecream. If you play your cards right you may be able to analyze statistics provided in a sample and then estimate a proportion of a parameter of the popularion against your sample. But if you want a real definative answer you would probably have to resont to a census of the earths population, even with this you would probably come into problems with people comparing results against cultures, ages, timeframe ect.
    Muah, the answer to my argument is that it depends on the person which flavour tastes the best. Statistical analysis cannot be applied here to determine which flavour tastes the best, as taste is a personal thing. However the statistical analysis can tell you which flavour sells the best or which flavour is most liked by average.

Not nice to see INTPs fail at arguing against this sort of so obviously flawed argument
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Muah, the answer to my argument is that it depends on the person which flavour tastes the best. Statistical analysis cannot be applied here to determine which flavour tastes the best, as taste is a personal thing. However the statistical analysis can tell you which flavour sells the best or which flavour is most liked by average.

Not nice to see INTPs fail at arguing against this sort of so obviously flawed argument

Hmm well, I suppose that everyone is going to have preferences. What needs to be done is to extrapolate the reasons why someone prefers a certain flavor of icecream. After they have given you their argument or opinion you then counter it by dragging out information either learned, researched, or intuited and presenting it in an objective fashion. If the person still has objections, use the socratic method to break them down and reintroduce the idea that vanilla ice cream is the best.

Alternatively, you could just listen to their reasoning for their choice. Data thrown at a subjective, personal, opinion, generally is not trying to understand though, it would be used to change the opinion instead. Opinions stated as facts are what need to be dessimated, not generally opinions for the sake of opinions.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?
    Please define 'messing'

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Hmm well, I suppose that everyone is going to have preferences. What needs to be done is to extrapolate the reasons why someone prefers a certain flavor of icecream. After they have given you their argument or opinion you then counter it by dragging out information either learned, researched, or intuited and presenting it in an objective fashion. If the person still has objections, use the socratic method to break them down and reintroduce the idea that vanilla ice cream is the best.

Alternatively, you could just listen to their reasoning for their choice. Data thrown at a subjective, personal, opinion, generally is not trying to understand though, it would be used to change the opinion instead. Opinions stated as facts are what need to be dessimated, not generally opinions for the sake of opinions.
    No. The only argument needed is that there are different preferences, reasons for these preferences are irrelevant, since the same data i posted earlier contained the proof that there are preferences
    — C.G. Jung

Read