User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Based on type profiles and various interactions with INTPs, there is an underlying motivation of the INTP to engage in games. For some this can translate into interpersonal games as easily as video games. The logic of strategy can hold interest for the INTP, so that can be their interface socially.

Conflict avoidance is typically another INTP trait based on descriptions and specific individuals that come to mind. These traits apply differently in various INTP contexts. I suspect that the more socially conflict oriented INTPs are so internally detached that it doesn't feel like conflict in the same way it does to others. It's still a game to them, but can appear like aggression externally.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes Totenkindly liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yeah I sometimes deliberately set out to mess with people, not really sure whats wrong with me and I probably shouldn't, but for some reason it gives me great joy to see someone squirm. That sounds evil... But eh what can I say its the truth.

But yeah I will be especially beligerant if the person who I am talking to is full of shit. Well no, if I judge them to be not all that bright or just really niave, then usually I will leave them alone. If they think that they are right without considering any other possibilities, and especially if they are in a position of authority, then I can get quite stubborn in proving them an idiot. I try not to mess with people who are weaker, I usually pick on someone my own size or stronger.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226
    But yeah I will be especially beligerant if the person who I am talking to is full of shit. Well no, if I judge them to be not all that bright or just really niave, then usually I will leave them alone. If they think that they are right without considering any other possibilities, and especially if they are in a position of authority, then I can get quite stubborn in proving them an idiot. I try not to mess with people who are weaker, I usually pick on someone my own size or stronger.
    How do you know that you are the one who is correct? What if they're right, and you're wrong? Do you have a method for determining that?

I test them. I see if they make attempts to hold themselves to the same standard they are holding everyone else to, or try to reconcile their inconsistencies. (Actually, I'm content with them merely being honest about their inconsistencies.) Can they withstand the scrutiny they are constantly bestowing upon others? Or are they trying to hide themselves; do they resent the mere act of inquiry as an egregious offense? Do they accept good faith efforts to engage with them, or do they reject them? Are they taking others to task for something they've been guilty of in the past and don't want to face up to? Are they projecting their own anxieties about their situation on to others as an excuse for not dealing with it more directly?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Well it usually is just when someone makes up a stupid rule or something. Like I had a teacher tell me that because I was criticising female circumcision I was being close-minded and ethnocentric. I argued back that just mirroring back what he expected me to was more closed- minded than anything. Anyways I more disagree not with any one idea, but more with when someone presents their idea as the only reasonable or moral possibility.

I generally argue for four reasons

1) Im bored

2) I legitimately disagree with the person

3) Everyone else is taking someones claim at face value, and I feel obligated to represent the opposing side

4) to further my own understanding of a topic, see the opposing sides argument more clearly.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Well it usually is just when someone makes up a stupid rule or something. Like I had a teacher tell me that because I was criticising female circumcision I was being close-minded and ethnocentric. I argued back that just mirroring back what he expected me to was more closed- minded than anything. Anyways I more disagree not with any one idea, but more with when someone presents their idea as the only reasonable or moral possibility.

I generally argue for four reasons

1) Im bored

2) I legitimately disagree with the person

3) Everyone else is taking someones claim at face value, and I feel obligated to represent the opposing side

4) to further my own understanding of a topic, see the opposing sides argument more clearly.
    Ha, I'd say that I agree with 2, 3, and 4, although I wouldn't call that argumentative. I'd be careful with 1, though. You can make enemies doing all of them, but if you're going to make enemies, one should have a good reason.

You should ask your teacher if he thinks that some Christians are right to oppose the teaching of evolution. After all, with moral relativism, who are we to judge?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I think you may be ENTP instead of INTP. However, INTP's aren't likely to mess around with people. I guess it depends on the individual. My cognitive function aren't suited for doing behavior like ENTP does.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Hes annoying as all hell, but I see him today so I probably will end up arguing with him, there is something about him that just sets me off. So I'll make that part of my argument today.

And yeah, arguing for fun has gotten me into trouble before, but it pretty much a compulsion. Now I try to argue with people Ill never see again, or people who know me enough to know that nothing I say is personally directed at them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I don't go out of my way to cause conflict, but when someone is obviously spouting bullshit to get a reaction/spread lies, I do like to mess with them. You may have seen a bit of that from me already towards some people I couldn't care to mention right now.

I used to blog my views on a range of stuff to start debates etc but nobody wanted to play with me...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I am not an INTP, but I think that this is generally something that INTP's are certainly perceived by others as doing. They are very analytical and exact in their discussions with others and I think to people who are not used to this, it can seem like they are argumentative.

This is something that I love and is also a source of annoyance for me with my INTP. I playfully call him "Mr. Smug" and "Smart Ass," because he is always right and wins 99% of our discussions.
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.
    Likes Xander, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    And seeing their reactions? This is one of the main things for me, I love doing this. I love arguing with people and debating with them. But at the same time I believe I am an introvert. The ISTP profile didn't really fit because the last thing I do is live in the moment, and I think that I have Si. So my question is, is it common for INTPs to want to argue in the real world in real time?
    In my case, yes.

I grow bored of the common perception and the lack of thinking. I relate it to an extrovert needing someone to talk to, I need someone to think with. Sometimes this means starting an argument.

As for "messing with people", lots of energy has been spent trying to lay out some of my thinking in ways which convinces the other person that my thinking is worth considering to no avail. That was my younger man tactic, full of energy and fervour. These days I appreciate more the approach of goading someone into revealing some weakness in their thinking and then showing it to them so that they may reconsider their thoughts. Even if they still disagree with me at least they're thinking and who knows, maybe they discover something that I can consider too.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?