• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Relationship/Attraction/Advice?

Poetica

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
This is a question for anyone who has an opinion about this, not just INTJs, although I think INTJs would probably understand the nature of this better.
I'm well aware that this might not be the best fitting forum for this thread, but anyway...

Alright, so here's the deal (cookies for you if you read through the end of this). Something unexpected happened to me recently. I met this guy who is in more than one of my classes in University, and I developed a fondness/interest towards him. Every time he'd say something sarcastically in response to someone else, I'd think "that's exactly what I'd say if I was in his situation!" So naturally, I began to observe him more and learned that he was an INTJ as well. No surprise there. Over time, I had a strong feeling that he was beginning to get interested in me, from the types of questions he asked when we were talking. I was a bit surprised that anyone could find me interesting.

Later on at a social event, I glimpsed him holding hands with his girlfriend. Of course, I had taken the fact that he might have a significant other into consideration already, but the more I observed (and judged) him, I found that to be highly unlikely. After that moment, I just sort of laughed it off in my mind. It seemed funny and stupid to me that I had fallen for this guy and I just thought "what did you expect?"

So my question is, why wasn't I upset in the least after this came to my attention? Has this happened to anyone else? Please help me understand myself. :)

Nicodemus

While entertaining a faint hope of success, you had already expected it would not work out for you. When hunch became fact, you felt your sad prognosis vindicated. Thus, the feeling of having predicted the outcome correctly modified the feeling of disappointment, the severity of which you had already kept to a minimum by expecting little, providing you with a cynic's smile at defeat.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While entertaining a faint hope of success, you had already expected it would not work out for you. When hunch became fact, you felt your sad prognosis vindicated. Thus, the feeling of having predicted the outcome correctly modified the feeling of disappointment, the severity of which you had already kept to a minimum by expecting little, providing you with a cynic's smile at defeat.

:sadbanana:

Poetica

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah, I guess that would make sense.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a question for anyone who has an opinion about this, not just INTJs, although I think INTJs would probably understand the nature of this better.
I'm well aware that this might not be the best fitting forum for this thread, but anyway...

Alright, so here's the deal (cookies for you if you read through the end of this). Something unexpected happened to me recently. I met this guy who is in more than one of my classes in University, and I developed a fondness/interest towards him. Every time he'd say something sarcastically in response to someone else, I'd think "that's exactly what I'd say if I was in his situation!" So naturally, I began to observe him more and learned that he was an INTJ as well. No surprise there. Over time, I had a strong feeling that he was beginning to get interested in me, from the types of questions he asked when we were talking. I was a bit surprised that anyone could find me interesting.

Later on at a social event, I glimpsed him holding hands with his girlfriend. Of course, I had taken the fact that he might have a significant other into consideration already, but the more I observed (and judged) him, I found that to be highly unlikely. After that moment, I just sort of laughed it off in my mind. It seemed funny and stupid to me that I had fallen for this guy and I just thought "what did you expect?"

So my question is, why wasn't I upset in the least after this came to my attention? Has this happened to anyone else? Please help me understand myself. :)

He was only assigned to the "eligible" category, not yet assigned to the "actively pursue" category, and you hadn't let him into your shell.
Therefore, no psychical / emotional energy committed other than that expended in ordinary thinking...which is a fixed cost anyway.

Good luck on finding another...or any well-suited significant other. ;)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's about it. The way to avoid disappointment is to limit one's expectations.