User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    @Hard believes very much in 'saying what you mean, and meaning what you say'. I totally agree with that idea. I can't stand it when people don't speak plainly, or are purposely cryptic.

But there's a difference between plain-spoken and outspoken. I am plain-spoken, but I'm definitely not outspoken.
    Very well put. +1
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

If one asks what INTJ's are thinking, a beam would appear from their forehead and encase the questioner in a endless void.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I suppose it then comes down to your definition of "needless". Sometimes my idea can only or best be explained through metaphor. I can and will attempt a more straightforward approach, but so much is lost in translation, it almost isn't the original idea any longer. I tend to reserve being deliberately cryptic, indirect, or enigmatic for cases when someone is being obnoxious, pushy, just won't take "no" for an answer; or cases where an outright "no" might be too risky, but I need to steer the other person away from a certain topic or line of questioning a bit more . . . indirectly.

I prefer clear and straightforward communication as well, when I have something to say to someone, and they have something to say to me. I guess if we don't, there's no need to be communicating to begin with.
    I don't think I am explaining myself clearly, I appologize. At the end of the day we just have very different ways of communicating and deeming what is important or not.

I understand and agree with what you're saying. There is a point and time to being cryptic if someone is being difficult or proves to be poor to associate with. Generally I just don't acknowledge them and minimize all contact to make it as clear as possible that I want to be left alone or for them to go away. I'll specifiy in a rep someone who is a prime example of needlessly cryptic, as I think that will make it more clear of what lines I take issue with. In a way it sort of relates to spacyness as well which I am equally frustrated by.

I think the big divide for us is, I enjoy chit-chat and I see it as something worth engaging in, and you generally don't. I just get put off when people are bothered by it, for the sheer notion that it's chit-chat. Granted, I won't try if they put off the vibe of not liking it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A true INTJ is very enigmatic because similar to INFJs they have interesting inner dichotomies to reconcile between the extremely abstract and the extremely concrete.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes DarkestSunlight, windoverlake liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    What BadOctopus said. What truly bothers me is people being needlessly crypic, indirect, and metaphorical with their speaking, communicating, and sharing. But being heavily taciturn bothers me as well.
    I understand this. I have no issue with something that's difficult to explain or relate and doing it in a metaphoric way. I have an issue with people who don't feel speaking clearly is even required on their part, it's the responsibility of the person listening to them to sort it out. OTOH, there are people who don't want to hear and don't listen, no matter how clear you present things.

It's important to me to make myself understood and I try to avoid anything cryptic or metaphoric and do my best to tailor what I say to the listener. Mostly because I do not want to explain it again. There are other times, none of this effort works and I simply cut my losses.

I'm not naturally great at conversation but it is something I have worked at for a long time and I stick with plain, direct speaking because I am naturally good at that. It may not be how or what a person wants to hear, but it's rarely misunderstood.
    Likes Hard, BadOctopus liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    No, man, it's INFJs that like cookies!!

I still love the part where he touches himself. It's really the only reason I've watched that video.

At least till 1:16 in that is.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

I talk when I have something to say, and I listen when someone intelligent with information I don't already have talks. If it's not directly relevant I don't say anything. If it can be omitted I omit. If someone is not interesting to me it's unlikely I will engage with them at all - although I'm very capable if they are the gate-keepers to some ploy I have to attain something I want.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Communication gets me down.

It's never accurate enough and there is always an unnecessary level of misunderstanding. No wonder some people prefer silence.

After all what is really happening is the transformation of the experience of being you into language. But if people aren't ready or willing to hear you then what is the fucking point.
    But if people aren't ready or willing to hear you then what is the fucking point. <<<That

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The problem (as I see it) is that the holistic nature of first seeing then summarising the whole of a jigsaw internally, giving correct weighting to each factor involved. Trying to convey the whole thing to someone else requires:
    a) either the painstaking hours-long approach of the Paint-by-Numbers set...'Starting in top left corner, make a small patch of blue'; in this approach the listener gets bored before the centre of the argument is even *reached* or
    b) the 'enigmatic' or 'I know' approach, summarising the whole jigsaw picture in one sentence 'It's a picture of a diesel train at Colombia station, with several people about to board.'; the listener finds this enigmatic even if it is correct, since the INTJ won't bother with supporting explanations (see (a) for why these don't work).
    Likes grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
    The problem (as I see it) is that the holistic nature of first seeing then summarising the whole of a jigsaw internally, giving correct weighting to each factor involved. Trying to convey the whole thing to someone else requires:
    a) either the painstaking hours-long approach of the Paint-by-Numbers set...'Starting in top left corner, make a small patch of blue'; in this approach the listener gets bored before the centre of the argument is even *reached* or
    b) the 'enigmatic' or 'I know' approach, summarising the whole jigsaw picture in one sentence 'It's a picture of a diesel train at Colombia station, with several people about to board.'; the listener finds this enigmatic even if it is correct, since the INTJ won't bother with supporting explanations (see (a) for why these don't work).
    To quote from Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising: "Well done, Andrushka!"
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes Rambling liked this post