User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I've decided to start believing in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it.

Pretty deep, right?

FL

Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Bloody INTP karma chameleons.
    Damn you all to hell for getting that fucking song stuck in my head. :steam:

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (Why didn't I think of this first???)
    Well, it certainly is a very NT interpretation of the doctrine of karma. (Credit for the line goes to Scott Adams and the "Dilbert" cartoon.)

FL

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by raincrow007 View Post
    Damn you all to hell for getting that fucking song stuck in my head. :steam:
    How about Rogers & Hammerstein?
    "Somewhere in your wicked childhood,
    you must have done something baaaaad."

It's the Rule of Karma. You're just paying for your sins.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Let me just say, this is one of the funniest thread title's I've ever read.
    I despise small talk and refuse to indulge in it in a active manner, but if people try to talk to me I let them--for a time. I find nodding works, and a wry grin--as long as it dosen't look maniacal. So this instead of this .

Does posting in this thread count as small talk, if it does I think i'm going to have to go have a shower now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cerpin_Taxt View Post
    Let me just say, this is one of the funniest thread title's I've ever read.
    I despise small talk and refuse to indulge in it in a active manner, but if people try to talk to me I let them--for a time. I find nodding works, and a wry grin--as long as it dosen't look maniacal. So this instead of this .

Does posting in this thread count as small talk, if it does I think i'm going to have to go have a shower now.
    I've always defined small talk as "meaningless" exchange of information; superficial by nature. Because we're talking about something beyond the superficial aspect, it's a meaningful exchange of information, and thus not small talk. At least, I think.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    type

Small talk==fluff. It's symmetrical.

Just like fluff, small talk can lead to something interesting, or it may not--it's unpredictable. A constant outcome is an increase in social connectedness. "Greasing the social wheels." I believe this is true for fluff as well, which is why it's so hard to agree on a definition of fluff.

You could call it noise on the line, but it's more like beaconing or an exchange of keep-alive packets.
    "Are you there?"
    "Yes, I'm still here."
    "That means I'm here too."
    "Yup."
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INXP

Small talk is also important in that the first thing you say to someone, particularly on the phone, is never registered.

That is why we have "hello!" and "how is the weather today" "how are you" etc etc. Try it, walk up to someone (family/colleague) and ask them without a greeting for what you want, they will invariably say "pardon?" or look confused... this is because you haven't given them the first comment small talk response protection thingie to engage their brains.

-Geoff

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Small talk is also important in that the first thing you say to someone, particularly on the phone, is never registered.
    It's a SYN/ACK handshake for peeps.

Connection establishment

1. The active open is performed by sending a SYN to the server.
    2. In response, the server replies with a SYN-ACK.
    3. Finally the client sends an ACK (usually called SYN-ACK-ACK) back to the server.

At this point, both the client and server have received an acknowledgement of the connection.
    See--even computers need smalltalk!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Try this nex time:

Ring. Ring. RING. Pick up phone.
    "State your business"

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.