User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Pet Peeves

People who stop dead on a sidewalk to txt/instagram/snapchat Here I am going to my destination when you stop dead in the middle of the sidewalk to feverishly attend to some msg on your phone causing me to ram my shopping directly up your backside. It's a freaking txt, it can wait for you to move out of the flow of traffic to attend to it. Seriously I'm tripping over you and taking a shoulder injury because you've been sent a Lolcat pic.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Norman Conquest, 1066: bunch of French guys took over England, and it had an enormous effect on English vocabulary. "Isle" is from the French word for island. The 's' is silent because it was silent in French; French is full of silent letters. L'Académie française got rid of the 's' and added a circumflex accent on the 'i' to make the modern-day île; they got rid of lots of silent letters and added circumflex accents to the vowels in front in the 18th century.
    Eh, I know why English is a mess. I have a BA in English, and have read the amazing Bill Bryson!

But explanation is not justification.

Bitching about English spelling might be one of my pet peeves because the spelling makes a lot more sense if you know the etymology.
    Similarly, history-lecturing about any given inconsistency -- linguistic or otherwise -- in an effort to justify the given inconsistency is becoming a pet peeve of mine. Knowing what not to repeat in the future is great, but knowing history doesn't change the present.

... so that when they're written we can tell the difference.
    "I'm so close to finishing this painting! When I'm done I'll close the door and lock up. I can't wait to see Glenn Close in Anesthesia!"

"Live a little! Come see the live show with me!"

Spelling different words the same never seems to be a problem, even when the words aren't actually homophones. So call me a dreamer, but I don't think that a single phonetic spelling for 'aisle' and 'isle' would be a problem.

You're right, @Passacaglia: full-blown neurosis.

Would you like me to explain why 360° = 2π rad?

You're right, @Passacaglia: full-blown neurosis.
    Can't say I didn't warn ya.

Would you like me to explain why 360° = 2π rad?
    As I understand things, it involves the Greeks being preoccupied with circles, deciding that the circumference divided by the diameter was a super-important value, and then later mathematicians multiplying that value (pi) by 2 as full revolutions began to appear more and more in mathematics.

But if I missed something, feel free to enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    As I understand things, it involves the Greeks being preoccupied with circles, deciding that the circumference divided by the diameter was a super-important value, and then later mathematicians multiplying that value (pi) by 2 as full revolutions began to appear more and more in mathematics.

But if I missed something, feel free to enlighten me.
    You're 90% of the way there. Radians are a useful way of measuring angles because it's using the inherent geometry of a circle to define angles rather than an otherwise arbitrary number like degrees. If you can relate an angle to a circle and vice-versa you can use the geometry of a circle anywhere you're using an angle.

1 rad is defined as the angle at which the arc length of a circle is equal to the radius (r). There are 2π radians in a circle because the circumference of the circle is 2πr (2r = d).

If you can use a circle to define an angle you can use the constant π in trigonometry for instance, which greatly simplifies the math.

You're 90% of the way there. Radians are a useful way of measuring angles because it's using the inherent geometry of a circle to define angles rather than an otherwise arbitrary number like degrees. If you can relate an angle to a circle and vice-versa you can use the geometry of a circle anywhere you're using an angle.

1 rad is defined as the angle at which the arc length of a circle is equal to the radius (r). There are 2π radians in a circle because the circumference of the circle is 2πr (2r = d).

If you can use a circle to define an angle you can use the constant π in trigonometry for instance, which greatly simplifies the math.

Oh I love radians! They were a bit of a bother to wrap my head around in my first trig class -- though other students had more difficulty with them -- but the payoff is well worth the bother! I'm currently an electrical engineering student, and I roll my eyes every time a professor uses degrees instead of radians.

It's just that there's a simple way to combine the advantages of radians with the intuitiveness of one rotation = one character. And mathematicians already have a character for this: Tau! As you probably already know, tau is defined as the circumference of a circle divided by its radius, which results in ~6.28. I.e., 2*pi.

Tau radians = one rotation would be great, but I guess it's just too much bother to change all those reference books, text books, and mathematical proofs.

My pet peeves: People leaving trash in my car, theres nothing worse than pulling up to the bank and having trash all over the floor of you car. I take care of my things, I don't want to go out and have my car looking like a trash can. My daughter has learned. The other day she came in with her backpack and proceeded to empty it into the kitchen garbage. I looked her and said "trash in your backpack?" She said "you don't like trash in your car". I replied, "Good Girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Oh I love radians! They were a bit of a bother to wrap my head around in my first trig class -- though other students had more difficulty with them -- but the payoff is well worth the bother! I'm currently an electrical engineering student, and I roll my eyes every time a professor uses degrees instead of radians.

It's just that there's a simple way to combine the advantages of radians with the intuitiveness of one rotation = one character. And mathematicians already have a character for this: Tau! As you probably already know, tau is defined as the circumference of a circle divided by its radius, which results in ~6.28. I.e., 2*pi.

Tau radians = one rotation would be great, but I guess it's just too much bother to change all those reference books, text books, and mathematical proofs.
    Never heard of τ = 2π.

Like you said, full-blown neurosis...

Never heard of τ = 2π.
    Really? It's definitely a thing. You can see a simple pictorial demonstration here, and if you need help falling asleep tonight you can read a lengthy case for using tau instead of 2*pi here.

Like you said, full-blown neurosis...
    Maybe, but I could say the same about people who expect everyone to be able to correctly spell two not-particularly-common homophones differentiated only by a single letter.

Bleh, I regret having posted in this thread in the first place.