Thread: Pet Peeves

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    amigo is friend in spanish?
    Yes but I was referring to this.

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

aisle
    You made me think of one of mine: people who can't spell aisle. If you're in the middle of an isle you're on a pile of dirt in the middle of a body of water, not a space for walking.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Yes but I was referring to this.

I didn't know the name for them. we might call them electric scooters but i dunno i really don't. but they are really hard to drive i tried to drive one once
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You made me think of one of mine: people who can't spell aisle. If you're in the middle of an isle you're on a pile of dirt in the middle of a body of water, not a space for walking.
    yeah but i'm refering to the grocery store, why would i go to a body of water to get peanutbutter? i don't understand your culture.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

This is one of those English insanities that drive me crazy! We've got these two homophones that are spelled differently...and neither of those spellings actually reflect the way I've heard anyone say the words!

I-ul =/= aisle or isle

- People who talk to fast or too quietly. You people chit-chat at 900 RPM all day long while I'm sitting here staring at the ceiling, then the time comes for us to make individual speeches in front of everyone else, I annunciate well and you suck. Get some practice, you're a horrendous lector.

- People who collectively refuse to cooperate with their instructors because it violates their social power structures. You have one job. You're told what to do, you're expected to see it from your instructor's perspective and give your best effort, and instead you deliberately evade learning any lesson and take every opportunity to cut corners. Do you think it makes you cool? Do you seriously think you're "edgy" or whatever you call it?!?!? No. You're a fat freckled idiot, you have the grammar of cro-magnun man, your damn hat's backwards and you look like an idiot punk. Cut the faux-testosterone crap, quit pretending you're some hoodlum when you're not, see eye-to-eye with the instructor and just do the damn project the way you're supposed to.

- Dumb fat kids who wouldn't grow a brain cell if you hit them. And they waddle back and forth when they walk. And their faces don't move enough, and they look like bulldogs.
    This only applies to stupid fat people, not all fat people.
    Likes Hard liked this post

yeah but i'm refering to the grocery store, why would i go to a body of water to get peanutbutter? i don't understand your culture.
    I KNOW YOU'RE REFERRING TO THE GROCERY STORE, PRPL. YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL "AISLE". LOTS OF PEOPLE SPELL IT "ISLE", BECAUSE THEY'RE DUMB AND DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER.

MBTI
    yupp

I KNOW YOU'RE REFERRING TO THE GROCERY STORE, PRPL. YOU KNOW HOW TO SPELL "AISLE". LOTS OF PEOPLE SPELL IT "ISLE", BECAUSE THEY'RE DUMB AND DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER.
    you're angry i thought canadians were suppose to be calm..... i don't think you're really a maple leaf rep right now.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes Chthonic liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    This is one of those English insanities that drive me crazy! We've got these two homophones that are spelled differently...
    ... so that when they're written we can tell the difference.

and neither of those spellings actually reflect the way I've heard anyone say the words!

I-ul =/= aisle or isle
    Norman Conquest, 1066: bunch of French guys took over England, and it had an enormous effect on English vocabulary. "Isle" is from the French word for island. The 's' is silent because it was silent in French; French is full of silent letters. L'Académie française got rid of the 's' and added a circumflex accent on the 'i' to make the modern-day île; they got rid of lots of silent letters and added circumflex accents to the vowels in front in the 18th century.

"Aisle" also comes from French, the word for "wing" as in wing of a building; the modern French spelling is aile. (Aile and île aren't pronounced the same in French.)

Bitching about English spelling might be one of my pet peeves because the spelling makes a lot more sense if you know the etymology.

you're angry i thought canadians were suppose to be calm..... i don't think you're really a maple leaf rep right now.
    Watch some hockey sometime.