User Tag List

12 Last

Default INTJs and Groupthink

In large corporate settings I have noticed a few INTJs bring a vision to the table but then as it is implemented, mandate a sort of groupthink around the vision. Instead of surrounding themselves with people who would challenge the vision, the ones I have watched instead surround themselves with those who either cant intellectually challenge the idea or who are afraid to stand up to the INTJ. They surround themselves with "good" people who affirm the tertiary Fi of the INTJ and the morale rightness of the vision being implemented. To find the "good" people they will spend months interviewing. To the INTJ, it almost seems like the the inner circle becomes a family to which he has paternal control and thus should receive paternal affirmation? (And I admit I will always love my INTJ dad, even as I shake my head and dont agree with his ideas-but I wont argue with him, because I love him? He is mostly right most of the time )

Problematically, the implementation of what was a good vision, then goes awry and since it is in a large organization, it goes very badly awry. But since the INTJ removed all of the people who would troubleshoot the flaws,or perhaps feed him the relevant Se data points to course correct? there isnt anyone to help course correct. If someone does stand up, in classic groupthink mentality, the whole group turns against them, and the INTJ assumes it is a individual values problem, not a logistical problem.

Some of the inner circle really do believe in the vision, and some are just "milking the cow while the milking is good".

Not meaning to pick on the INTJs-in general they are wonderful, but after watching this cycle a couple of times it sorta seems to be a repeating pattern-was interested to see if anyone else had observed it or things like it. How does one prevent this? Its odd as normally on an individual level INTJs seem to enjoy being challenged on their ideas.

Fascinating.

My own father is some form of TJ (I'd guessed STJ, but that may be inaccurate). I have noticed that, in his social circles, hobby groups, etc, he tends to put himself in charge (if possible) and tries to surround himself with people who share his "vision" and overall goals for the group.

When people in his inner circle no longer share his vision, he discards them or tries to discredit them in the eyes of the other group members.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

Frankly, I think a lot of so-called INTJs are ISTJs. The "we" mentality is more SJ, rather than NT. I may puke if I read one more "we" posted in this place from those claiming to be NTs. "Weeeeeee."
    If one is truly an independent thinker, their mental shotgun will usually take aim at groupthink.

Good to see you posting again, Puppy.

This people in general. Not some special INTJ failing. No-one likes having their idea's challenged and poo-pooed by others. I've spoken up about stupid shit at work, pointing out how it's a flawed thing and been shot down. Only to watch the flawed thing be championed and then ultimately fail for reasons that seemed obvious to me. It's not as if INTJs are the only ones blinded by their awesomeness.

MBTI
    INfP

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    This people in general. Not some special INTJ failing. No-one likes having their idea's challenged and poo-pooed by others. I've spoken up about stupid shit at work, pointing out how it's a flawed thing and been shot down. Only to watch the flawed thing be championed and then ultimately fail for reasons that seemed obvious to me. It's not as if INTJs are the only ones blinded by their awesomeness.
    Yeah, this doesn't sound type related exactly. In fact, I would think - based on stereotypes admittedly - that INTJs would be one of the types more likely to go against group think and want people around who can criticize them/set them straight. But people are people, and most people prefer to be around others who they get along with. It feels good when people agree with you and it can be difficult to have your ideas brought under fire, especially if it's something important to you. In a way, it makes sense - if you're trying to implement some specific goal, you will want people around who also share that goal in order to help implement it. But you can't be so blinded that you refuse any criticism and become inflexible. It can be hard to admit when you're wrong, when you've made mistakes. Perhaps this is something INTJs especially struggle with? I don't know.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I can't speak for other INTJs, because I haven't known any who were in leadership positions. I think to some degree, we all like being agreed with. But on the whole, I don't mind when my ideas are challenged, and I usually don't mind being proven wrong. It may sting a little sometimes, but knowing the truth is more important to me than being right.

I have known a couple of ENTJs who behave as you described. My father being one of them. You're only of use to him if you agree with him and do his bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    Its odd as normally on an individual level INTJs seem to enjoy being challenged on their ideas.
    Talking about ideas and implementing visions are different things; one comes after the other. So when the stage of implementation has been reached, I would assume an INTJ to be reasonably sure it will work out, meaning troubleshooting is no longer necessary, so that people's attempts to engage in it regardless present but a superfluous nuisance.

PS: Welcome back.

People usually have a keen eye for others "group think" and never realise their own or think they'd only ever be in opposition to the same sort of thing if it occured in their social circle or reflected the shades of their opinions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

In large corporate settings I have noticed a few INTJs bring a vision to the table but then as it is implemented, mandate a sort of groupthink around the vision. Instead of surrounding themselves with people who would challenge the vision, the ones I have watched instead surround themselves with those who either cant intellectually challenge the idea or who are afraid to stand up to the INTJ. They surround themselves with "good" people who affirm the tertiary Fi of the INTJ and the morale rightness of the vision being implemented. To find the "good" people they will spend months interviewing. To the INTJ, it almost seems like the the inner circle becomes a family to which he has paternal control and thus should receive paternal affirmation? (And I admit I will always love my INTJ dad, even as I shake my head and dont agree with his ideas-but I wont argue with him, because I love him? He is mostly right most of the time )

Problematically, the implementation of what was a good vision, then goes awry and since it is in a large organization, it goes very badly awry. But since the INTJ removed all of the people who would troubleshoot the flaws,or perhaps feed him the relevant Se data points to course correct? there isnt anyone to help course correct. If someone does stand up, in classic groupthink mentality, the whole group turns against them, and the INTJ assumes it is a individual values problem, not a logistical problem.

Some of the inner circle really do believe in the vision, and some are just "milking the cow while the milking is good".

Not meaning to pick on the INTJs-in general they are wonderful, but after watching this cycle a couple of times it sorta seems to be a repeating pattern-was interested to see if anyone else had observed it or things like it. How does one prevent this? Its odd as normally on an individual level INTJs seem to enjoy being challenged on their ideas.
    On the "inner circle" and "family" aspect - yes, I do experience that. On surrounding with people who think a similar way, I think I have probably seen STJs do that a fair bit more. All types can be guilty of it though. I personally surround myself with people who provide different perspectives intentionally. Once we establish a vision and direction though, you would want people who would help to execute on that yes. That doesn't mean you want to just bring in people who think the same. I've always been one to value diversity of talents, perspectives and abilities. As an aside, I'm often the one at work pushing/nudging the course correction because things aren't working or going to achieve the right end result. Sometimes people get tunnel vision and are headed in the wrong direction. It doesn't mean I have to have all or even most of the answers, but I know enough to realize things aren't headed right and get people to talk about how to course correct. I have to be careful on how often I do that though because too many changes in direction can be disruptive.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes sculpting liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Its odd as normally on an individual level INTJs seem to enjoy being challenged on their ideas.
    Ideas yes, visions no. What @Nicodemus said is the most concise summary.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching