User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Are rationals close to each other?

Do you think rationals can develop a close relationship with each others NT's? Conversations are always interested, however, could they be close?
    Last edited by great_bay; 02-13-2015 at 02:09 AM. Reason: edited for clarifying

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Being a Rational type doesn't mean that you can't forge close bonds. They might not be obvious to others, but they can be every bit as deep as those shared by Feeling types.

My roommate and I are both rationals (she's an ISTJ), and we're very close. We can tell each other pretty much anything. There is a mutual appreciation, because we both know that the other one will listen calmly and respectfully. We are also very comfortable with not talking at all. Our silences are never awkward, because we both value silence highly.

My oldest brother is also an ISTJ, and he's one of my favorite people in the world. Despite a considerable age difference, we've always been extremely close.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Being a Rational type doesn't mean that you can't forge close bonds. They might not be obvious to others, but they can be every bit as deep as those shared by Feeling types.

My roommate and I are both rationals (she's an ISTJ), and we're very close. We can tell each other pretty much anything. There is a mutual appreciation, because we both know that the other one will listen calmly and respectfully. We are also very comfortable with not talking at all. Our silences are never awkward, because we both value silence highly.

My oldest brother is also an ISTJ, and he's one of my favorite people in the world. Despite a considerable age difference, we've always been extremely close.
    That's your Kindred type. Not NT rationals. The name for Kindred implies a family closeness.

They can be. My best friend is an INTJ as well, and although we rarely talk about feelings, we do share a great deal of thoughts and ideas, which creates a feeling of closeness.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Oh, you changed it to NTs. Thanks for clarifying.

Well, my other brother is an INTP; although he can be an extrovert when he has to. We were best friends growing up. The only reason we're not as close as we were is because we live really far apart, and keep different hours.

We also like to go backpacking together. In my experience, you can't go backpacking with someone unless you're really close to them.

My dad is an ENTJ, but he's kind of intolerable.
    Likes Kaizer liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

My INTJ aunt is married to an ENTP. I don't know how much they talk about their feelings... They're both highly educated and have extremely dry senses of humor though.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My SO is an INTP. I suppose that counts. Also, one of my better friends is ENTJ.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx

I don't know how close I am to anyone really. It makes me wonder what being close to others means. Laughing, joking and sharing thoughts? Then yes.

I'm most comfortable with my NT friends I think. I don't see the need to share very personal details with anyone, but the rare occasion that I've trusted another with something of that nature, they were NT. The good thing about that is that it's then as if I never even said it, and I don't have to drag over it or discuss my feelings around it. It was more a comfortable trust exercise.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Yup.

There's an INTJ on here who stills speaks to me on Facebook and has visited me from the states. I have a local close friend who's an INTJ too and I get on very well with my father who's an ENTJ.

Closeness as implied is a matter of perspective. Do me or my father call the other to ask "how are you"? Not really. We call when we want to talk about something. We are still close because anything that happens to one which is of note, they tell the other and will discuss it (now we're past the whole splitting parents thing where nothing was discussed much to my disgust).

The ENTP I know I struggle to call "close" but he's very defensive. I guess an understanding of intellectual honesty needs to be established first.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

Don't know too many NTs myself. The NTs I do know, whilst close, aren't any closer to me than my other close friends.

I do have an INTJ friend whose company I always enjoy, and miss when she's not around. We don't really keep in contact atm much though, I only keep in contact with a couple friends that put in the effort (cos I never really put in effort either). But whenever I meet up with close friends like her that I haven't talked to in a while, we can still communicate like we've been seeing each other every day.

On the other end of the spectrum the ENTJ in my design group irritates me to no end.

I don't currently know an NTPs personally.